Clear All

• medical supply store

Help!

what do I need there?

A raised toilet seat
    a grabber
    but what else?

Melissa

I'm sure you will need all of those things & more. Find out from your doctor's nurse what you might get from them in the hospital. I had to pay for a "kit" which included grabber, sock putter-on thing, and a few other things I can't remember! We did get the toilet seat ahead of time and had it in the car for the long ride home and one night in motel--actually was handicapped accessible so was OK. You should probably have a hospital/health supply store in your area--I didn't know ours existed before all this but we could at least check it all out ahead of time. Also you might be surprised what you can find more cheaply in Walgreen's & other such places, too. You might also see if insurance with doctor's script pays for any of this. I honestly can't remember that either--my brain was on ice somewhere for about 2 months. Thank goodness my husband kept his. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Here's a list of helpful things:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Just a quick idea....I live in a split level home. It was helpful to have a grabber on each level. Since they are so expensive, I used my little boys toy grabber...$5 and surprisingly strong. I pull heavy wet laundry out of the washer. I can even pick up pennies with it! I went out and bought two more! The only thing it doesn't have that some of the more expensive grabbers have is a magnet on the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Toysmith-6135-...3525487&sr=8-2

Here is a link to what it looks like...Amazon has it for $10, but I got it at Toys R Us cheaper.
        Kathy, 43
        Diagnosed as a teen
        Boston brace 2 years
        63 degree lumbar curve
        Surgery August 26, 2009
        Anterior approach fused T12-L4
        now 28 degrees

Comment

Working...
        X