Mattress topper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress topper

What did you find work the best for you in terms of a topper for your mattress?

Our mattress is only about 3 years old and it is very comfortable for me

But I feel every movement that my DH makes and I also think it will just make it more comfortable for both of us.

I will be sleeping in a twin bed in our bedroom when I first get home.

But I do not have any idea of what height I should buy. Also, should I buy a smooth or a egg crate style?

Help, I feel like I did when I was new mother. I had no idea of what to purchase when I went into those big over whelming store

Thanks

Melissa

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my 3-inch Serta (smooth) mattress topper when I came home from the hospital. I still do. I ordered it from Overstock.com. If I were to do it again, I might get the 4 inch but someone here said it was a little too much.

I like the idea of you sleeping in a sep. bed at first because you don't want to feel your hubby moving or you will be in pain. At least I was.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My husband and I did manage in the same bed, but I have to say it was certainly his most saint-like period for those several months! We still have the 2 inch egg crate type on the bed. I thought the flat spongy might not breathe as well and might actually be hot. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I slept alone in our queen size bed with an egg-crate style topper and was very comfortable. It was great having the bedroom to myself because I could get up and take meds etc. during the night without worrying about waking my partner who, for a few months, slept at the other end of the house. The bed was big enough to place pillows down either side of me and not worry about encroaching on my partner's side. I slept brilliantly (drugged to the eyeballs on my "horse-dose.") Up to 10 hours per night and 1-3 hours during the day. Heavenly!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I bought mine in December from Overtstock.com. I have a 3 inch flat memory foam mattress and it works great. I tried sleeping in a regular bed, but it put pressure on my incision. I wish I would have gotten in the 4 inch or 5.

rich

Comment

Melissa

It would be best to sleep alone at least for the first few weeks. Trying to sleep can be an issue after surgery, and it would probably be best if you weren't disturbed. Silence is golden.

I have a tempurpedic, and it is fantastic. Just like in the TV commercials where the girl jumps up and down, and the wine glass doesn't spill, is a truthful advertising statement. They are pricey, at about $2500. I pinched a few years ago, while having problems before surgery. I did lay down a 2 inch topper on it, wished I had 4 inches.

One thing that's important is to make sure your bed isn't "hammocked". If it sags in the middle, you will feel it after surgery. One cheap way to try to fix this is to lay a sheet of plywood between your mattress and box spring, or lay it on the floor.

If you read all the past posts from everyone here on this subject, everyone just about agrees that 4 inches is the perfect thickness.

The best scenario is to find one locally so you can do a test. There are many different types of foam, latex would be the best. You could try finding a local mattress company. The solid ones will last longer. Later down the road, it will make a great emergency bed for guests.

Happy foam shopping!
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

That is what we are buying is an extra bed for guests

I will use it now and then it will become the guest bed

4" does seem to be the correct thickness

The folks here are great with information

Melissa

Comment

Question

With A 4" Mattress topper will I need to buy new sheets?
                Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa,
                  It depends on how deep your existing mattress is and if there is at least 4 inches of your existing sheet that tucks under the mattress. I bought a 2 1/2 inch mattress topper and my sheets don't quite fit. MY sheets are old and my mattress is fairly new. The sheet does stay put even though it doesn't fit. I am trying not to buy anything new until we move. If you can sew, you could sew some elastic across each corner of your sheet if you want to save some money.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

We had a thick mattress to begin with, so with a 3" topper, I had to get new sheets. Lands End has some really deep-pocketed sheets that work just great.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                    X