PDA

View Full Version : Mandy's surgery is over!!!!

ArabianFancy
01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
5 hour surgery but everything went fine.She is in a private room in the step down unit so NO ICU!! She is sleeping well waiting on her pain pump to get hooked up but not really needing it yet. Thanks for all the prayers!!
They did T-5 to L-3.
Gina:)

Syd
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Im syd and Im happy :) that everything went well but what surgery did she get?

Snoopy
01-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi,
Im syd and Im happy :) that everything went well but what surgery did she get?

Mandy had a spinal fusion with instrumentation and is fused from T5-L3.

Syd
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh okay hopes shes okay though :) and also im gonna be getting that surgery too soon and I am not so sure what fusing is too I have been looking for someone that had it to talk to them about it . Well im sorry to hear that she had to get surgery and hopes she is gonna be great after she has healed!

Vali
01-14-2010, 06:00 PM
That's fantastic news Gina. Hope she continues this path of a smooth recovery. Best wishes.:)

JenniferG
01-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats Gina and Mandy. Great news to hear she's doing so well.

bbrian35
01-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Great to hear! Hope everything goes smoothly!

mbeckoff
01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear that so far all went well

Hope ll continues to go well

My prayers are with you both

Melissa

ddb
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
On the healing side - best to Mandy for a smooth recovery.

Dee

Snoopy
01-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh okay hopes shes okay though :) and also im gonna be getting that surgery too soon and I am not so sure what fusing is too I have been looking for someone that had it to talk to them about it . Well im sorry to hear that she had to get surgery and hopes she is gonna be great after she has healed!

Syd,

When are you having surgery? My daughter had surgery over 5 years ago, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of parents here who will try their best to answer your questions.

If you want to talk to other kids/teens who have had a spinal fusion, then you might want to check out Spinekids. It is similar to this one, but it is mostly kids/teens. Some wear a brace, some are facing surgery and others have had surgery. You are welcome here, but I know my daughter found Spinekids very helpful to talk to kids her own age.

Mary Lou

Snoopy
01-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Syd,

If you want to talk to other kids/teens who have had a spinal fusion, then you might want to check out Spinekids. It is similar to this one, but it is mostly kids/teens. Some wear a brace, some are facing surgery and others have had surgery. You are welcome here, but I know my daughter found Spinekids very helpful to talk to kids her own age.

Mary Lou

Just saw that you've found Spinekids. :D Hopefully they will be able to answer some of your questions from a kid's perspective.

Mary Lou

ArabianFancy
01-15-2010, 08:23 AM
She had a good night. A little nausea and is running a fever but Dr said to expect that. Her o2 sat and respiration got low low last night while she was sleeping so they put her on some oxygen , but that was from being tired and on morphine. It's a wonder drug but SO strong! They will start taking her off of that once we get to 5th floor today, out of step down unit( a nice private room!!) She is checking texts and FB with my help so doing good :)
Thanks for all the prayers.
Syd, I or Mandy will be glad to answer your questions once we get home ;-)
Gina

ScoliSkye2
01-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Yaaay! Mandy joins Skye on the otherside!!! :D
Gina, I am so happy for you! I know it was tough as it was for me but God is faithful!! Oxygen yes not uncommon. Skye had it on for sleeping every night we were there :rolleyes: ~ Give her best wishes from Skye who is bored to tears at home :p

Karen :D

jjsmom
01-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Gina, I am so happy for Mandy and you that the surgery went so well and her recovery is off to a good start!
Barbara

gitaraja
03-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Syd,

When are you having surgery? My daughter had surgery over 5 years ago, so feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are a lot of parents here who will try their best to answer your questions.

Mary Lou

Hi ,
My daughter is 13 years old and she has congenital scoliosis and going to have surgery soon - spinal fusion as she has a hemi vertebre on her lumber spine. I have a question - what age your daughter had the surgery? How she is doing now? and Could you please let me know what are all the activities she is doing and is there is any restriction? I am very worried. Please reply.

Also i want to know that if the vertebrae that is fused give any problem later in life because the fused vertebrae wont grow anymore but the others do right?

Snoopy
03-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Hi,

Jamie was 13 y.o. when she had her surgery. She is now 19 1/2 y.o. and doing great! Once her restrictions were lifted after a year, there's really nothing much she can't do. Her doctor doesn't want her on a trampoline, skydiving or bugy jumping which she never had an intereste in the last two, so no problem there.

Jamie has completed college and taking her boards to become a physical therapy assisant soon. She's done her internships without problems or pain. She rides our 4-wheeler, swims, drives a car and everything else that kids her age enjoy doing. I haven't found anything that she can't do.

Hopes this helps.

Mary Lou

ArabianFancy
04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Gitaraja, I am sorry to just be seeing this thread. I did not get a notice on it.
"Ihave a question - what age your daughter had the surgery? How she is doing now? and Could you please let me know what are all the activities she is doing and is there is any restriction? I am very worried. Please reply."
Mandy was 11 when she had her surgery and turned 12 the next month. She is doing excellent. 100 % cleared by her Dr to resume ALL activities!!!
Email me at arabianfancy@live.com if you want to talk more . It really helps to talk to someone who has been there .
Gina