Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images

Here are my xrays pre-op and after my surgery in a week I will put up the post-ops.

I inverted the colors so it is easier to see the image.

One question if I may, how important is it to become fit before surgery. I workout lightly and am at a normal weight. I understand that being fit may help with post-op recovery, but I wonder if it makes any difference in the actual correction the surgeon may get?

Have a great weekend !
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
    Here are my xrays pre-op and after my surgery in a week I will put up the post-ops.

One question if I may, how important is it to become fit before surgery. I workout lightly and am at a normal weight. I understand that being fit may help with post-op recovery, but I wonder if it makes any difference in the actual correction the surgeon may get?

Have a great weekend !
    There's no evidence that exercise will help with any correction, and I doubt you could do much in a week even if there was some value. My advice would be to eat well, and do some cardio exercise every day. You'll be using your thigh muscles far more after surgery than you do now. Had you asked your question earlier, I would have recommended doing resistance training to strengthen those muscles. Again, you're not likely to get a lot of value out of a week of exercise.

Best of luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hI,
      hey im syd and what degree was your curve?
      And have a wonderful weekened too!!
      Last edited by Syd; 01-14-2010, 10:11 PM.
      [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
      110 degree curve now
      Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

Hi Jimbo!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery! I am having mine March 31st. My doctor said that it is very beneficial to be in your best possible shape before the surgery. The more fit you are, usually the more flexible you are and they can get a better correction. You might want to do some stretching exercises. I recently took up yoga, and added that to my cardio and strength training. I will have a hard time not being able to work out after surgery, but from what I hear people are instructed to walk on a treadmill shortly after you are released from the hospital. Good luck!
        Laura
        Laura
        62 degrees
        49 yrs. young
        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hi Jimbo.

Good luck w/ your surgery, I bet you'll get a great correction.

Hang in there.

Best Wishes,
          Shari

Comment

I thought I was in pretty good shape before my surgery. When I hit the physical therapy office, I found I needed to be in primo shape, which they attempted to whip me into. Squats, lunges, and stretching exercises (with rubber tubing) mainly. Everything I could do at home. Also wobble board, BOSU ball and Body Blades (which we purchased once PT was complete). I have continued to use all this equipment to keep me in optimal form. Now if I could just lose weight (I still think my thyroid is out, and will see the doc again in Feb for that issue)...
            Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
            Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
            T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
            Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
            Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
            Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
            Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
            Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
            Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Hey Les,

How long after surgery were you doing PT like lunges, squats, etc? I am so afraid of going to mush after my surgery. I've been working so hard to get into shape for it!

Laura
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Hi Jimbo,

from what I understand, the younger the patient, usually, the better the correction. You are young and probably 'bendy.' I bet you'll have a great correction.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post

Have a great weekend !
                  Hi Jimbo. Not long now!

I don't know if there's any proof that being fit helps with recovery but I am sure it wouldn't do any harm. I got fit over several months then the last fortnight, exercised (walking, running and kayaking) for 4-5 hours every day. Apart from constipation and drug dependency I had a pretty easy recovery for an old bird.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had surgery in Apr 08. Don't think I started PT until Jun or Jul. It's on some other thread. I did PT for about 3 months, 2 times a week. And I'm currently doing some PT now, mainly heat and massaging some muscles after this last surgery. I'm pretty sore and stiff. I think I'll end up with 3 wks, 2 times a week for this time.
                    Les
                    Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                    Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                    T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                    Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                    Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                    Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                    Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                    Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                    Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the images. I will be looking forward to the straight ones. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                      X