PDA

View Full Version : Images

Jimbo
01-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Here are my xrays pre-op and after my surgery in a week I will put up the post-ops.

I inverted the colors so it is easier to see the image.

One question if I may, how important is it to become fit before surgery. I workout lightly and am at a normal weight. I understand that being fit may help with post-op recovery, but I wonder if it makes any difference in the actual correction the surgeon may get?

Have a great weekend !

LindaRacine
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Here are my xrays pre-op and after my surgery in a week I will put up the post-ops.

One question if I may, how important is it to become fit before surgery. I workout lightly and am at a normal weight. I understand that being fit may help with post-op recovery, but I wonder if it makes any difference in the actual correction the surgeon may get?

Have a great weekend !
There's no evidence that exercise will help with any correction, and I doubt you could do much in a week even if there was some value. My advice would be to eat well, and do some cardio exercise every day. You'll be using your thigh muscles far more after surgery than you do now. Had you asked your question earlier, I would have recommended doing resistance training to strengthen those muscles. Again, you're not likely to get a lot of value out of a week of exercise.

Best of luck.

Regards,
Linda

Syd
01-14-2010, 09:21 PM
hI,
hey im syd and what degree was your curve?
And have a wonderful weekened too!!

Radiogirl
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Jimbo!

Good luck with your upcoming surgery! I am having mine March 31st. My doctor said that it is very beneficial to be in your best possible shape before the surgery. The more fit you are, usually the more flexible you are and they can get a better correction. You might want to do some stretching exercises. I recently took up yoga, and added that to my cardio and strength training. I will have a hard time not being able to work out after surgery, but from what I hear people are instructed to walk on a treadmill shortly after you are released from the hospital. Good luck!
Laura

Shari
01-15-2010, 03:12 AM
Hi Jimbo.

Good luck w/ your surgery, I bet you'll get a great correction.

Hang in there.

Best Wishes,
Shari

lapieper
01-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I thought I was in pretty good shape before my surgery. When I hit the physical therapy office, I found I needed to be in primo shape, which they attempted to whip me into. Squats, lunges, and stretching exercises (with rubber tubing) mainly. Everything I could do at home. Also wobble board, BOSU ball and Body Blades (which we purchased once PT was complete). I have continued to use all this equipment to keep me in optimal form. Now if I could just lose weight (I still think my thyroid is out, and will see the doc again in Feb for that issue)...

Radiogirl
01-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Hey Les,

How long after surgery were you doing PT like lunges, squats, etc? I am so afraid of going to mush after my surgery. I've been working so hard to get into shape for it!

Laura

debbei
01-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Jimbo,

from what I understand, the younger the patient, usually, the better the correction. You are young and probably 'bendy.' :) I bet you'll have a great correction.

Good luck and keep us posted!

JenniferG
01-16-2010, 12:01 AM

Have a great weekend !

Hi Jimbo. Not long now!

I don't know if there's any proof that being fit helps with recovery but I am sure it wouldn't do any harm. I got fit over several months then the last fortnight, exercised (walking, running and kayaking) for 4-5 hours every day. Apart from constipation and drug dependency:p I had a pretty easy recovery for an old bird. ;)

lapieper
01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I had surgery in Apr 08. Don't think I started PT until Jun or Jul. It's on some other thread. I did PT for about 3 months, 2 times a week. And I'm currently doing some PT now, mainly heat and massaging some muscles after this last surgery. I'm pretty sore and stiff. I think I'll end up with 3 wks, 2 times a week for this time.
Les

loves to skate
01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the images. I will be looking forward to the straight ones.:) You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Sally