Anyone else have a U Rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have a U Rod?

Hi. My name is Ross. I am 12 days post op. When i went to go to the O.R., the surgeon told me since I'm such a big kid (6'2'', 190 lbs.), he didn't want to put 2 rods, but something called a U Rod since it is supposed to be stronger. Also, he said that he was going to put it in because along with the Scoliosis, I also have Scheuermann's Disease. Does anyone else have a U Rod here?
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

Hey

Glad to know surgery went good YAY :-). You know I'm a curious sort, and probably many other people are now as well (well I've never heard of a U-rod, I wonder if its really shaped like a U, cause it brings up a pretty interesting image in my head). When you get to see x-rays of it, if you memeber take a photo of it when its up on the x-ray screen here, cause i bet there's more people than just me who'd like to see what it looks like and it would have a good 'shock' to show your family and friends at school. Then attach it as a post here, pleeeassseee ;-) (I think thats poss). Maybe he put in the U rod 'cause you had a triple banger, being the schermans (I can't spell for anything he he), scoli and kyphosis. As well as being a big kid. With the extra gain in height, I'd now come up to your shoulder being only 160 centimetres ish, but getting that much gain in height is definetly a "perk" to the surgery (well you gotta find one somewhere lol). Do you have to wear a brace ????

Alison
    Last edited by Alison; 10-03-2004, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Jewett Brace

Hey Alison! I wear something called a Jewett brace. I know that most people who have to wear a brace after surgery, usually wear a TLSO brace. But since the doctor fused the front side along with the side and back of the vertebrae, he said that I needed extra support, so I have a Jewett Brace. When I get to see my x-rays, I'll email them to you! Talk to you later!
      Matt

Had surgery on 9/20/04
      U Rod Inserted
      Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Ross, how many incisions do you have? I can't believe you were only in hospital 5 days and were up and about so quick afterwards with such a big surgery. Amber couldn't sit for any length of time for awhile. Is it because of the extra support with the brace?
        Best wishes.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Support

Hey Cheryl. I'm guessing that it is the brace is the miracle worker . I have one big incision posteriorally. The incision is about 24 inches long. The nurses in the hospital were teasing me about how fast I got up and walked.
          Well Take Care! Ross
          Matt

Had surgery on 9/20/04
          U Rod Inserted
          Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Hey

As you know I'm a curious person (sometimes too curious for my own good), and I wanted to know what a Jewett Brace looked like (cause I'd never heard of it), so I enlisted thy trusty friend google, and now I gotta finish my curiousity, does your brace look something like the one in the picture link

http://www.emedicine.com/asp/image_s...inal+Orthotics

It doesn't look comfortable (but they again, what brace is lol) but at least it wouldn't make you all hot and gross like a TLSO brace has a nasty habit of doing :-)

And I agree with you, the brace is da miracle worker when it comes to sitting, cause it does all the work for you that is normally taken in sitting.

Alison

Comment

Your right!

On the website, the picture that shows the Jewett Hyperextension brace is the same one. It is sorta uncomfortable. And since it is bent and we have to go to the doctor to fix it, it is even more uncomfortable since it is like pushing on my bladder, and the top peice is choking me and the big metal bars on the side are cutting into my skin, it is very uncomfortable. But, I'm still alive and that is the best thing. Hope that answers your questions! Take Care!
              Ross
              Matt

Had surgery on 9/20/04
              U Rod Inserted
              Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Working...
              X