Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried Active Isolated Stretch (AIS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried Active Isolated Stretch (AIS)

Hi. I'm new here. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in the 4th grade and wore a Milwaukee Brace from 4th to 12th grade. My curvature stayed pretty consistent until my third pregnancy when it greatly increased. I'm not sure exactly what the curve is but I know it's over 50 degrees. I am starting to really look deformed and can notice a decrease in lung capacity. I recently came across Active Isolated Stretching. I spoke to the founder and two different teachers of AIS (all with something to gain financially of course) and they all state that they have seen great results including reduction of the scoliosis curve with AIS. They don't have any x-rays or case studies to back up the claims yet. Has anyone tried this method with good results? It's fairly expensive and not covered by insurance so I'm hoping to find someone who's tried it and talk to them. Please let me know if you have any information on it. Thank you!

Renee

Hi Renee -

I'm not familiar with this therapy. But in reading a web site (sponsored by someone who is a rehab therapist) I wondered if there were exercises that improved the chest wall specific to respiratory function. I've written and asked. If so, then maybe some improvement could be achieved. I say this based upon the work of Martha Hawes who is experiencing curvature reduction following treatment for improved chest wall/respiratory function.

If I hear back I'll let you know what they say.

Since you are experiencing some breathing problems, may be best to have this medically checked out - your doctor could probably refer you to someone who could assist with respiratory therapy.

Link to Martha (careful reading shows her first major improvement in curvature, follows a specific program to improve her chest wall - as she continues to work on this, her curvatures continue to improve - over a fifteen year period):

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/cont...-7161-4-27.pdf

Comment

Thank you for your response. Some of the article is hard to understand but I will get it figured out. A couple of questions - do you know what "VC" stands for in the article. Also, I've only seen an orthopedic surgeon (Dr. Clyde Nash of "Nash and Moe" mentioned in the article) and chiropractors. Do you know what type of doctor one should see to seek improved chest wall/respiratory function? Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Vital capacity (VC) is the maximum amount of air that a person can expel from the lungs after first filling the lungs to their maximum extent.

I looked it up in a medical terms abbreviation list online.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

They have no evidence that it works and it is really expensive?

Don't do it.

Don't let these people think that they can take advantage of people with soliosis.
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by reneemarie View Post
            Thank you for your response. Some of the article is hard to understand but I will get it figured out. A couple of questions - do you know what "VC" stands for in the article. Also, I've only seen an orthopedic surgeon (Dr. Clyde Nash of "Nash and Moe" mentioned in the article) and chiropractors. Do you know what type of doctor one should see to seek improved chest wall/respiratory function? Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it!
            I would think just about any medical doctor could steer you in the right direction? Let us know what you find out :-)

Comment

Working...
            X