Problem standing straight up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem standing straight up

I was good after I left the hospital and thought I was doing a lot better. Every day it got easier, but this week I did a U-turn. I have a hard time standing straight up and I am bent over when I walk. It has gotten really cold, so I don't know if it is the weather or something wrong. I also began throwing up. I am in my 5th week and thought I was all past this. Has anybody had any similar problems?

Rich

Are you finding that you are sitting more. I found that on the days that i had lots of visitors at home and of course sat more than laid down, i tended to walk more hunched over (not overly, but you know). I also found that it was more towards the end of the day. You may be overdoing it. I suggest, when you notice yourself doing this, lay down for a bit and see if you are able to stand straighter after you have rested.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Rich,I found when I was up in my brace for several hours I would do what your talking about.I felt I was hunched over but it was only like that when I would over do which was pretty much all the time.I'm not one to sit still.As for the nausea I did not have that problem.Are you still taking pain meds.About a month after surgery I was only taking vicodon 5\500 1pill 6 times a day.
      Aug.17,09 Anterior
      Aug.20,09 Posterior
      Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
      Cedars-Sinai
      Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
      Husband married 30 years
      3 kids 29,28,25
      4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

hi rich
        havent had the surgery yet..but am wondering if you changed the amount of meds or the way you take them...are you eating first so they dont hit an empty stomach? change the dose? time of day?

hope you feel better soon
        jess

Comment

My doctor gave me some meds that will clear my stomach, so it won't give me sick. He believes that it is all the pain meds that I am taking. He doesn't know why I'm leaning forward. My doctor at first wanted to fuse me to S1, but during the surgery decided to do it to L5, because I was still young and my disc wasn't too bad. I was excited about that, but I am wondering if my disc is now having problems.

Jess, when do you plan on seeing Dr. Anand? Dr. Anand performs his surgery at Cedar Sinai, where I had my surgery. I saw his photograph on the grease board at the nurse's station. It sounds like you need the same surgery I needed and I am curious if he can do it with minimal cuts.

rich
          Last edited by rich1752; 01-14-2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Hey Rich
            i see him jan 27th afternoon...am flying out jan 25 til 28th from east coast..he doesnt take my insurance, so it is just a consult....i'll let you guys know how it goes...
            have been told i need T11-S1 & L4-sacrum, with "bilateral pelvic fixation"...none of the surgeons think i can stop at L3 or 4...or 5...i am age 61, so the degree of curve is not a slow rate, the way some younger people have it...i now have 40 degree upper, to be ignored, & 61 degree lower..at least, that was in october at last x ray with dr neuwirth in nyc...

i am so sorry that you are having difficulties with standing up...i bet the stomach distress is solvable depending on medications...i hope you can solve the other problem as well....

jess

Comment

Rich,I hope the new meds work for you.When do you see Dr.Anand for xrays?Are you leaning forward with or without your brace?
              Aug.17,09 Anterior
              Aug.20,09 Posterior
              Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
              Cedars-Sinai
              Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
              Husband married 30 years
              3 kids 29,28,25
              4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Rich,

Just a guess, but it might be that your muscles are weak and you need to get some exercises to help. Are you walking a lot? That helps me.

Like a couple other people mentioned, I found that the more I sit and the later it gets in the day (when I am more tired), the more I lean forward when I first get out of the chair. Usually if I concentrate I can straighten up as I walk. I was just talking about this with my doctor at my 6 month checkup on Wednesday and was told that the strength of the gluts have a lot to do with standing straight. I have lost a lot of strength there due to the surgery and all the resting. I am starting PT next week.

Hope you get the nausea straightened out.

Sheri
                At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                X