Been a while since i posted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while since i posted

Hi everyone its been a while since i have posted on here 2 years from my op in May.
    I do read about other people on here, and good luck to everyone who has had or about to have there surgery.

i have a problem at the mo, its been cold here in UK so back has been playing up so i have been using my heat pad again, been using this since about 5 months after the op. But the bottom of my scar has gone all horrible and hurts a lot, dnt know weather it was the heat pad or weather it could be an infection (can you get an infection this late after the op) I am due to see my doctor later today, but I just have to turn up at the surgery and wait so dont know how long it will be.
    I am hoping it was just something to do with the heat pad and nothing else.
    The rest of the scar looks ok its about the bottom 2-3 inces thats the problem very red and inflammed (im told) i of course cant look at it myself.
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Originally posted by Angelacross View Post
    Hi everyone its been a while since i have posted on here 2 years from my op in May.
    I do read about other people on here, and good luck to everyone who has had or about to have there surgery.

i have a problem at the mo, its been cold here in UK so back has been playing up so i have been using my heat pad again, been using this since about 5 months after the op. But the bottom of my scar has gone all horrible and hurts a lot, dnt know weather it was the heat pad or weather it could be an infection (can you get an infection this late after the op) I am due to see my doctor later today, but I just have to turn up at the surgery and wait so dont know how long it will be.
    I am hoping it was just something to do with the heat pad and nothing else.
    The rest of the scar looks ok its about the bottom 2-3 inces thats the problem very red and inflammed (im told) i of course cant look at it myself.
    You must have some positive things to say about the surgery though?
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Oh yeah dont get me wrong I would never go back, the op has changed my life, nomore pain apart from on really cold days, the hip pain i use to get has gone altogether so I can now stand up for more then an half an hour at a time.

I would never change what i have had done, I am so pleased i went through with it, and you cannot tell that i have a small curve now, I look normal and clothes fit better which is great, my hips are level and my shoulders are nearly level but you can tell if you didnt know anyway.

All the pain i had was a few months after the op which you expect, but from about a year or just a bit more after it got a lot better. The scar has nealy completed faded so had to tell thats there, too look at me now you would not think there was anything wrong with me or had been wrong with me.
      Angela, 25 England.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

I hope it turns out to be nothing Angela. Let us know what he says.

The cold bothers me too. What I find is that I can't let myself be so cold that I shiver. Because if I shiver for too long, I'll get muscle spasms and then my back will hurt for days (at least.)

So I went and ordered myself a new 3/4 length down winter coat with hood, and I'm much better now. It's been pretty cold here this year too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Angela

We have missed your posts about Egypt!

I would go easy on the heating pad. I have had issues with them and do not use them anymore. I fell asleep on one years ago, and it nearly killed me.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Got back from the docs yesterday, he doesnt think its an infection but also doesnt know what could have caused it, as it wasnt the heat pad, if it was that it would be in more then just that little bit.
            I am to keep it covered and have to change the pad once or twice a day, and then have to go and see the nurse on monday to see if its any better, or if it starts to get worse i have to just go up there and they will see me.

I am not using the heating pad anymore, because of my back so wont put anything on it now.
            Just hope it heals in the week, think it should do as it hasnt got worse since Friday when i noticed it.
            Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Working...
            X