Yoga???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga???

Hi!....I recently got into yoga and am loving it. My surgery is end of March, and it is helping me get into the best shape I can before surgery. My question is...will I ever be able to do yoga after surgery? The type I do is called Vinyasa and is rather quick, and done in a hot studio around 90 degrees. Are there any post op yoga students out there??? If so, how long until you could resume, and what type of yoga do you do?

Thanks!

Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Hi Laura...

You'll need to check with Dr. Lenke. You probably won't be allowed to do anything for at least 3-6 months.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Laura,
      I also love doing yoga and I;m currently in a yoga teacher training. I'm actually going in for surgery this Wednesday 1/13 and will be fused from T-11 to L-5. I spoke to my surgeon about my yoga practice and we discussed some of the limitations I'll have. Obviously I won't be as flexible as I am now, but I have heard from other yoga teachers that they have had people in their classes with spinal fusions and they do very well. I found a website of a woman who had scoliosis surgery, ironically from the surgeon I'm going to, and it is very inspiring. She currently teaches yoga and she has pics of her in different poses. She had a very long fusion and she looks like she never had surgery. It gives me hope. I have to remember that yoga is not just about the postures, it's about the breath and the energy we get from that. I know in the beginning I'll be sitting there and envision myself in the pose I want to be in and just breathe through it. It may take years for me to practice the way I do now, but for me yoga is about the journey and I look forward to what it will feel like when I reach my goals. The website I was referring to is www.scoliyogi.com. I hope this helps. good luck with your surgery! : )

Comment

Lisa & Laura--
        That website is really interesting. Saving some for later. I did fusion which is a yoga/pilates combo before surgery. I'm fused T2 to pelvis which makes me think most of this would be impossible. So far I can only bend at hips to touch just below my knees. I guess it depends on age and how much was done but Dr. Lenke seems pretty strict about doing much other than walking & mild pt for at least up to 6 months. I really hope I could eventually do this stuff; that would be great. Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Lisa,

Wow!...thanks for sharing that website! It is such an inspiration! I enjoy the mental benefits from yoga as much as the physical benefits. What are you planning on doing during recovery to fill the void? I plan on taking up meditation. What degree is your curve and where do you live/what surgeon are you using? Have you been able to do yoga right up to your surgery date? I will be thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers your way on Wednesday and beyond. Please keep us posted on how it goes, and how your recovery is going. I'm sure your flexibility will be a huge bonus.

Laura
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Hi Laura! I live in central NJ and my surgeon is Dr. Boachie-Adjei at The Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. My lumbar curve is 62 degrees. During my recovery I plan on focusing on finishing my yoga training, not the physical part of it, but the reading and journaling. I actually did 2 hours of yoga today and plan on doing it again tomorrow. Who knows, I'll probably bust out a few vinyasas while waiting to go into surgery on Wednesday!!! LOL!! I truly believe that it has helped me maintain a level of sanity while preparing for this surgery. I feel so calm and ready for what is about to happen on Wednesday and all the days that will follow. I feel more anxiety over leaving my son more than anything else. Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! I'm sure you are going to do great during and after your surgery!!! Best of luck to you too! : )

Comment

Lisa!..my curve is 62 degrees too! I'm going to do an hour of yoga tomorrow and will think of you. You will be fine. I wish I was having mine done now instead of end of March. Keep me posted! Namaste!
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Working...
              X