New York Info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Info?

Along with the stress of this unbelieveable surgery coming at me, we're also dealing with being clueless about New York. We live in southcentral PA so our big cities are Baltimore and Phila. Do any of you familiar with the city have suggestions? Our first trip we came by train, did some walking and staring up at the skyscrapers like total tourists and got a cab back to Penn Station. My surgery will be at NYU hospital for joint disease (2nd Ave) and the plan is 5-7 days surgical floor and probably another week on rehab floor. My husband will be staying somewhere most of the time with perhaps a trip or 2 home. Any suggestions on hotels? Dr. Lonner's office said they will give me places where they have contacts for reasonable rates for patients' families but haven't heard anything yet. At some point, my husband is going to have to drive since I have to go home by car. I am assuming the hospital would have some kind of long-term parking available? Are there reasonable places for him to eat close by? I kind of feel badly for him since there won't be anyone else there to be with him. Anyone familiar with the hospital or the neighborhood or do's and don'ts for getting around NY?
    Thanks,
    Anne in PA
    Scheduled Feb. 2 with Dr. Lonner

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

probably find an "extended stay" hotel...otherwise, upwards of 150 a nite for a hotel..i was just in the city for one nite & spent 200 dollars plus tax for a nice, but not extraordinary, hotel (though the location, near bloomingdales, was really great!)... or find a "bed & breakfast"...but i'd go with the extended stay..every major city has them..some minor cities as well! you will have a refrig & microwave in your room...

everything in nyc is expensive! subway & bus is your best bet..cabs are outrageous...i say that as a born & bred new yorker!! with a refrig & microwave in your hotel room, you'll be better off....restaurants are..you guessed it..expensive....even starbucks runs into money!!

best regards
    jess

Comment

P.S. dr lonner is great!

& it has to be good luck that you are having surgery on groundhog day..also my puppy's birthday & the day i retired!
      so i am sure all will go well..& you have such a kind doctor!

jess

Comment

Hi Anne. I was just in the city today at the Hospital for Joint Diseases having an MRI prescribed by Dr. Lonner. I was noticing how lovely the neighborhood is - Gramercy Park. I also noticed what seemed to be a nice cafe type restaurant on the corner of E. 17th St. and 3rd Ave. It was quite busy so that usually means something. I passed quite a few inviting restaurants on my walk back to my car. I think your husband will manage fine. Also, I'm sure the people at the hospital can recommend places. Good luck - I'm sure you're in good hands. All the best, Joy

Comment

By the way, New York is a great city, and New Yorkers may seem like they are in a hurry, but I think you will find them friendly and warm, and glad to be helpful. Of course, I'm a native Brooklynite, so I may be a little prejudiced!

Comment

I'm from the Bronx. Haven't lived near the city in 25 + years, but went back for a visit this past summer with the kids. Boy did I ever feel like a tourist - lol, but must say the food there is even better then I remember. Can't help with the accomidation issues your having, but will say that NY hospitals have people from all over coming in for their experts so check with the Hospital. Most have people to help with this, and I'm sure they must have places set up for these types of issues.

Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.

Dee
            Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
            Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
            Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

I live in NJ, I had surgery at Beth Israel in NYC, and had the same question about where my husband would stay. Beth Israel had accomodations across the street from the hospital where he stayed for $100/night, and I stayed with him the night prior.

Before I found out the guest apartments were available, I found this site:

http://www.miraclehouse.org/

WHO WE ARE
              We operate five three-bedroom apartments located in midtown Manhattan serving over 1,000 caregivers and patients each year.

We are the only hospitality home that allows caregivers to stay while their loved one is hospitalized.

Another friend from his board stayed there with her husband before and after surgery, and her husband stayed there during her stay. It is VERY VERY reasonable.

Please call them and get the info. My friend was very VERY happy with the accomodations there and it saved them a bundle.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

New York NY a Hellava town

Hey,
                I am a native NYorker...(Manhattan born)... Bklynite... and lived in the BoogieDown Bronx too . I've been in NJ for sheesh 16 years and still say I am from NY when asked

Speak with hospital social worker or info center for advice and look on Craigslist for short term NY rentals (be careful - no upfront money no way no how) and also check this website: www.extendedstayhotels.com - if you have a timeshare or know someone that does you could use that to stay at timeshare locations in NY as well.

All the best to you...
                Karen

Comment

One more thing--as far as support for your husband,

from what I heard from my other friend who's hubby stayed at Miracle House, they provide meals for the patients families and encourage them to support each other emotionally. I just emailed my friend and I'll see if she's willing to give a first hand account.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

You people are awesome--lots of really good info. esp. about the extended stay places. Now I've got to post a new thread with my next round of questions!
                    Anne

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

As with any city, cost of transportation/food/ect vary greatly, NYC isn't all expensive, though touristy areas generally take advantage and are $$$.

I think NYC cabs fares compared to most areas w/o fare governed cab companies, are cheap.

In the mornings, the coffee/donut/bagel trucks are good bet for low cost breakfast. Most items will run $1 to $2. Cafes and delis are good for lunch under $10. The drinks you get with lunch can really get you though. A 20oz soda can cost as much as 2.75(the highest I remember paying) vs. 1.50 that's the 'norm'. He should keep a water bottle and just fill with tap water(it tastes fine to me when ever I drink NYC tap water)

For dinner there are places that run specials and many are 'solo-friendly' More ethnic neighborhoods tend to have cheaper eats, if your husband is into different cuisines and wants to try that.

http://midtownlunch.com

That's a good website to look at, there's a lower concentration of places by HJD, but something to start. Just searching for cheap lunch/dinner/ect NYC will bring up results, though that takes some time to weed through to find want.

Also, try using google map, find HJD, than use search near by to find names/reviews of food stuffs

Yelp is good way to search too... here's what I found

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...New+York%2C+NY
                      "cheap dinner" you can filter by neighborhood, price range...ect

and one for lunch! http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...New+York%2C+NY
                      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                      2005 - T50, L31
                      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Beg to differ on cabs...they are very expensive...extra 50 cent charge that was only for rush hour is now at all times....spent last thursday & friday in the city & spent alot on cabs...i took them to & from work every day, two jobs, 3 years ago & it didnt cost as much as now! a subway pass, good on buses too, can be bought unlimited for a week, i believe (i quit subways after 9/11 & stuck to buses, above ground, thank you, then cabs)

the morning coffee carts & lunchtime carts are good...you have to go to neighborhoods for "ethnic" food, & you will be in gramercy park, which is not "ethnic" & is an expensive area! if you stay somewhere with a microwave & refrig in your room, that would be very helpful!

i am sure dr lonner's office can offer you good suggestions....

best of luck
                        jess

Comment

Working...
                        X