Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scars, hips, & other post-surgery questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scars, hips, & other post-surgery questions!

Hi everyone! I'm coming up to a month post-op now - it's gone so fast! I have Some questions!

1) I had my dressing taken off today and they said I could start applying creams to reduce the scar. I hadn't known about this previously, so what should I use and for how long for?! I have heard of bio-oil and palmer's cocoa butter - are these any good?!

2) ALSO I think I read somewhere about staying out of the sun in the summer... Is this true and if so, why??!

3) I'm a bit annoyed that I haven't lost any weight! Loads of people have said they lost up to 30lbs and I have lost about 4!!!! I was hoping to have a nice little side effect from this operation! Anyone else not lose weight??!

4) I have noticed that one of my hips still juts out more, even though my back is nice and straight now. It's actually my other hip (I think). Is this because it was compensating for the other one sticking out by getting bigger to balance it? Will it go down eventually?

5) What sort of excercises can I do? I feel like such a couch potato but obviously physical stuff is off limits. What about balancing excercises like yoga? I have a Wii Fit, can I use that? are there any excercises I can do to strengthen the stomach muscles, as I have heard this is important to keep the back strong?!

Thank you for your advice! God bless this forum! xxxx
    22 years old
    Diagnosed at 15 with scoliosis.
    Surgery 10th December 2009 with Mr Alex Gibson at the RNOH Stanmore in London.

1.) I tried a lot of products on my front incision (I didn't even attempt the back one), and nothing really seemed to work. I think maybe it depends on the person, but my scars are still fairly noticeable.

2.)You should keep your scar covered especially in the first summer because you can burn easier there, and also because it has a tendency to darken scars permanently if you allow too much sun to get to them.

3.) I lost weight after my first surgery, but not after my second. I would imagine it has to do with your stomach and whether or not you can handle food and pills well. I had way less stomach problems when I had my revision, and didn't lose much weight.

4.) I would ask your doctor about this one. I would imagine that maybe it feels like it juts out way more because it used to be sunken? I worried about that with mine at first, but then decided they were the same, still, i would check with your surgeon.

5.)I would be careful with yoga, stretching, or tummy tightening exercises. Its another good thing to ask your surgeon about. Usually they want you to walk though. You can just tighten your stomach muscles when you are laying down, and relax, sometimes even that will help. But, maybe at 6 weeks your surgeon will send you to PT?
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Hi--I have a bit of insight on a couple of these.

1. I used Mederma on the part of the scar between shoulder blades to the top of T2. That part was much wider and redder than the rest. Whether that did it or not it is finally much lighter after 9 months.

3. At your stage I still hadn't lost the 20 pounds of swelling weight I had gained. Eventually I lost about 15 since eating was not a priority for me--first time in my life. Unfortunately, all but a couple pounds have returned.

5. My only exercise were my little walks--mostly around the house--and the ones my pt people showed me to do in bed. I think they mostly prepared you for more "real"-type exercise later. I do think they were helpful.

Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
      X