Megz, Sillycoffe, Mixasu...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megz, Sillycoffe, Mixasu...???

Girls....how are you ? I believe you all 3 just went through surgeries just now, or in the past couple of days. My prayers and thoughts and well wishes are with you girlies!!! Hang in there and post as soon as you can to let us know how you are doing!!!

Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Megz goes in on January 11th.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I had my pre-op today..The Dr. totally changed my surgery. He is doing and anterior and posterior attempt. The 11th hes going to cut my stomach in half o_O and "loosen" things up a bit (so he said in his words) him and his partner will remove a couple bones and put in "cages?!" Then after he's done with that he will flip me over and and begin the posterior starting with the top. I guess he will begin it. Because on the 14th he plans on removing a section of my spine???? ((alittle weird)) He pictured it as cutting a tree down you remove a wedge out to get a better correction, and then finish putting the rest of the hardware in. Testing went fine. Was everyone automatically put into icu after there surgery?? They claim I will be there for the first night and probably sedated with a ventilator Eeeek!! But I'm trying to make it through this week. I want it to be done and over with! If I don't get this done than I will only get worse and develop heart and lung problems..Please keep me in your prayer =) Thanks ladies you all have been a HUGE help =)

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
      Fused T2-Pelvis
      Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by megz View Post
        I had my pre-op today..The Dr. totally changed my surgery. He is doing and anterior and posterior attempt. The 11th hes going to cut my stomach in half o_O and "loosen" things up a bit (so he said in his words) him and his partner will remove a couple bones and put in "cages?!" Then after he's done with that he will flip me over and and begin the posterior starting with the top. I guess he will begin it. Because on the 14th he plans on removing a section of my spine???? ((alittle weird)) He pictured it as cutting a tree down you remove a wedge out to get a better correction, and then finish putting the rest of the hardware in. Testing went fine. Was everyone automatically put into icu after there surgery?? They claim I will be there for the first night and probably sedated with a ventilator Eeeek!! But I'm trying to make it through this week. I want it to be done and over with! If I don't get this done than I will only get worse and develop heart and lung problems..Please keep me in your prayer =) Thanks ladies you all have been a HUGE help =)
        Hi...

If one has a chest tube, I think it's pretty much standard procedure to be in the ICU. The fact that they're going to keep you sedated is a very good thing! I was pretty drugged up, but not enough, and was hyper aware of being intubated.

Best of luck with your surgery. And, by the way, the wedge procedure is an osteotomy.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I haven't had my pre-op appt yet, but I"m reading a lot about being in ICU after surgery and have to say it's kinda freaky. But, my philosophy is whatever it takes. I know if I am in ICU there will be a very good reason - but I'm only staying there for a short time. So they better get a bed ready on thge regular floor.... Ha! i don't think they have a clue as to how strong we are ------I'm trying to be positive about this.... Ha! And, with all the support we all have, there's nothing we can't achieve.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I couldn't agree with your more Rita! =)

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
            Fused T2-Pelvis
            Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Can I just say that the thought of ICU is worse than the reality. I was surprised and disappointed when they took me to a regular room the next morning. I just dozed the night away in ICU and every now and then I would feel the nurse doing something and she'd speak calmly to me and I'd answer but my eyes were swollen shut so I didn't actually see anything. I am the biggest scaredy cat in Australia, but I felt completely calm and happy there, not in any hurry to be moved.

I could wriggle my fingers and toes, I knew the surgery was over, I was extremely relieved.

I asked for ice for my dry mouth, they brought it. I asked to be turned onto my side, they brought in an orderly and he and two nurses put me on my side. Then I asked to be put back because I was uncomfy! Nothing was too much trouble. Once in my room, I was on my own. So I enjoyed my ICU experience.

Megz, I think the drugs will keep you calm so I doubt it'll be the horrible experience you're thinking. I hope you come back to this forum to say it wasn't as bad as you expected! All the very best for a great success and a smooth recovery!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good luck to everyone going through this surgery. About ICU first night it is no big deal. My doctor wanted to do that too depending on my recovery. But don't worry too much about everything before surgery. Just relax and go into surgery confident without worrying. I went in and came out with no worries and I'm already recovering. Just hope for the best and rest from now till your date.

Comment

I was in ICU about a day and a half. I felt like they kept a closer eye on me in there. I didn't mind it at all.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yes, you'll be drugged to the gills in ICU....and you probably won't remember much of it anyway!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Mr surgeon booked the ICU for me as well. I got out of surgery at 4pm and went to the recovery room. When my family arrived, they asked to see me in ICU and were told that, i came out of my surgery really well and that i would be returning to my room, however, i don't recall much of that night. My daughter told me the next day, that the only words i uttered were - i feel like i'm going to be sick, they injected something into my IV and i went right back to sleep. For the first three days, i had a nurse coming in everytime she passed my room. The nurses were great, i had no complaints. You will be fine.
                      Best wishes.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...