8 months post op and headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 months post op and headaches

Having successfully made it through 8 months of recovery and generally doing well, the neck issues I feared are beginning to plague me. I thought for sure that this would happen shortly after surgery. Headacehs are returning and I feel awful....looks like it's back to the chiropractor for an adjustment. There is a lot of popping and cracking once again in various places and I'm sure things are still settling but the headaches I just can't stand.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

I am so sorry to hear that! I hope that the chiropractor helps things.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
      Having successfully made it through 8 months of recovery and generally doing well, the neck issues I feared are beginning to plague me. I thought for sure that this would happen shortly after surgery. Headacehs are returning and I feel awful....looks like it's back to the chiropractor for an adjustment. There is a lot of popping and cracking once again in various places and I'm sure things are still settling but the headaches I just can't stand.
      Hi Susan, I also have neck issues. I personally wouldn't go to a Chiro for neck issues because of the possibility of a stroke. Have you tried Physical Therapy? I have a group of exercises for the neck that I have been doing for 10 years. I was developing a scoliosis in the cervical vertebrae pinching some nerves; due probably to stress and the start of arthritis. After 6 months of faithfully doing the PT exercises, stretching and strengthening, the pain went away and my neck straightened itself. Unfortunately, with arthritis attacking the facet joints now, I have a different pain, but still do the PT exercises. Of course, my problem may not be the same as yours. I hope you can get some relief whatever you do. Have you talked to your scoliosis Doc about your neck?
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ask you Doctor about anti migraine meds, they help awesomely
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
          Hi there,

didn't you recently start back to work? Do you think that could have anything to do with the headaches? I don't know about you, but when I'm stressed from work, I feel the stress in my upper back, around my left shoulder blade. Maybe it affects you differently?

I hope the headaches resolve for you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Not working yet....for a few more years anyways. I stay home with my 23 month old. Prior to learning that Scoliosis was once again progressing, I had a migraine for an entire year.....migraine meds didn't touch the pain. Phenergan helped because it settled the nausea and made me sleep. My head doesn't sit on the atlas correctly. It looks like it fell off lol. This is what causes the migraines. It's another situation that may eventually lead to more surgery if it were to get worse. The curve has been slowly correcting itself :O) My surgeon is all for chiropractic measures. I can feel 3 different vertebre out of place so I know an adjustment will help. I think perhaps that I slept wrong the other night. My headaches got so much better in intensity and fewer in duration once I started to see him. I completely trust him. He also will have all my x-rays taken since surgery. We'll see how it goes. I so don't want to have to start up with him again though.....very expensive. My guess is the spine is still correcting itself and hopefully it will pass. In the meantime though I need to feel well enough to take care of the baby and not have my husband miss anymore work. The captain of his ship has already been sooo supportive of him missing his very first patrol with the ship when I first had my surgery. I know she wouldn't hassle him but I do not want to put him in that position again. He is already so bogged down with work. It will work itself out I'm sure! Thanks for all the input folks!

Sally, I hopre things are well with you. It has been sooo long since we have touched base. Once I hit my 4th or 5th month I really got away from our wonderful little site here but I do miss the support from those who truly understand what having this awful condition does.....the good the bad and the ugly lol.....;O)
            Susan

Comment

Susan--
              I hope you get some relief with your neck soon. I've found as I've gone down on meds I feel a lot more neck pain and have more headaches. Many, many years ago that's what I was having treated before they knew it was scoliosis. I was told my fusion may or may not fix neck which actually has a curve too. So far not so good. I alway went to chiros forever but didn't know if after fusion even doing the neck was a good idea. Did I understand this will be your first visit since surgery? I'll be interested to see if it helps. Also interesting that your surgeon is all for the chiro. That doesn't happen a lot. Good luck! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                Susan--
                Did I understand this will be your first visit since surgery? I'll be interested to see if it helps. Also interesting that your surgeon is all for the chiro. That doesn't happen a lot. Good luck! Janet
                Janet,

Yes, this will be the first visit. My surgeon said I could go at three weeks post op if the headaches returned due to the repositioning of everything. It does seem that most Surgeon's and Chiro's are on a different page. Amazing that they can look at your x-rays and see two entirely different things. My surgeon is all for non-surgical interventions when possible. He also works directly with chiropractor's within his department.

Seems like we do have the same neck issues! My surgeon did warn me that it was possible that it was an entirely seperate problem from the scoliosis and would need to be fixed as well. It would have to be bad in order for me to even consider that. the thought of having screws placed at or near the atlas just doesn't sit well at all. I'm sure you can appreciate the stance I take on that one.

I used the heating pad today, which I never use heat...usually ice, it did help loosen up the tight muscles in my upper back which in turn helped the neck and headache for a while. It's just returning but I'm sitting hear with the phone tucked to my shoulder on hold with my son's doctor's office and typing....Not smart, I know. I multi-task so well though! Take care and hopefully you and I can get rid of these neck/head issues! Just give me a new neck please :O)
                Susan

Comment

Susan--
                  The thing I have found the most helpful is my "hands on" p.t. It usually doesn't feel better for a couple days but then I suddenly realize my neck is better. Also massages. I seldom got them before since I wasn't sure if they helped or hurt in the long run but now it does seem to loosen things up. Holding the phone with your shoulder! Yikes! Makes me hurt to think about it--haven't done that since before surgery. I use heat a lot more than ice. I think have it plugged in most days. Janet
                  Janet

Comment

Susan

I finally went back to my Chiro last August after my surgeon recommended it. It was scary, that first neck adjustment. I told him to go easy at first,then was telling him to go harder. It took 2 adjustments to get it right.

My head and neck were leaning forward and I was having problems just holding my head in its normal position. It was almost impossible for me to look up. My Chiros fixed it quickly. It seems that I'm looking down reading and writing too much.

I've gone 4 times in 6 months, and used to go 4 times per week right before my surgeries. I joke and ask if they can adjust my one vertebrae that's left. They don't laugh at these jokes at all and always have this very concerned look on their faces. They call me "the heavy hitter" LOL

A vertical traction device sounds like a great thing. One of these days I will probably buy one.

Glad to hear that things are better. Scoli surgery takes a while for a full recovery. I improved quite a bit from my 8th month to my 15 th month. I am quite happy, just having to deal with my neck once in a while, rather than the brutal crippling events I had before my surgery.

It might not be a bad idea to get a head-set for the phone. It would be easier on the neck. Also I don't know how you lift the kids, I have restricted my self to lifting only newborns now. 3 months max age, that's my age limit. LOL Its easier for me to just get down on the floor kneeling, with the other kids, eye to eye.

I agree with you on sleeping wrong. If the pillow height isn't just right, we pay for it, in the neck of course!
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Susan,

A head set is a great idea if your phone doesn't have a speaker phone button. All or at least some of the newer phones have speaker phone buttons. Also, I can set the phone down and do something else when I am on hold. I never, never hold a phone on my shoulder anymore.

I hope your Chiropractor gives you some stretching and strengthening exercises in addition to an adjustment. That way you can maintain what he does and not have to go back forever. Exercises at home are a lot cheaper.

As for myself, I am doing OK. I still have nerve pain issues and had a nerve block 4 weeks ago and don't see much improvement. I had a lot of side effects from the cortisone which I don't like and I think my Doctor wants me to have another one. However, I can roller skate and basically have my life back.

Take care, Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ed--
                        Did you mean the chiro adjustment also fixed the neck and head being forward? I definitely have that too but am a little afraid of having the old neck adjustments I had before surgery. Like you, I used to go constantly for all the body parts just to keep going. How soon did you return to chiro treatments after surgery? Thanks! Janet
                        Janet

Comment

Hi Janet

I was 18 months post. The neck adjustments felt great. After, I had no issues looking up at the sky and no pain. It solved the problem.

They offer a heat pad before the adjustment, which is good. You can ask for ultrasound after if you want, it feels so good.

I see you are 10 months post. I had quite a bit of improvement from my 10th to 15th month after my late PT on my shoulder.

I'm going skiing right now. Gotta hurry before the snow melts. (skier talk) I usually say that during storms. LOL
                          Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
                            Thanks for the info! If you don't mind cross-country and ridiculously cold temps we've got a ton of snow in Iowa. Have fun. Janet
                            Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X