Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone up shoes help with back ache from scoli?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone up shoes help with back ache from scoli?

Hey,

I have read that some of these tone up shoes (Sketcher's tone ups- not sure if that's the name, and Reebok easytones) work your legs butt and even back. Some reviewers are saying that they moderate back pain they had normally does not happen while wearing these shoes.

Anyone here heard anything about these shoes (good or bad)?

Thanks!!

I have heard ab out these shoes. Seen them on TV and in the stores, but i haven't tried any on and haven't heard from anyone who has tried them. They look weird. I'd probably fall off of them because some of them look real high, thick.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

If they aren't to $$$$, I'd like to try them for my daily walk. If I do, I'll let you all know.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

I think Skechers and Reebok are a knockoff of MBT shoes, masai barefoot technology. MBT's are incredibly expensive, but I've heard only great things from many friends who bought them. You can't run in them though, but do any of us run?

I would guess that the knockoffs would be just as good. Here's a link to an MBT question, similar to yours:

http://www.wanderingeducators.com/ma...ally-work.html

Amy
        Amy
        58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
        Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
        Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
        2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
        Exercising to correct

Comment

I love MBTs, and I've found they are great for helping with back pain, especially if you have a long fusion! They have a cushioned heel which prevents the force of impact as your heel strikes the ground. I'm fused from T1-L4 so my two remaining discs take all the pressure, and I feel these shoes make a big difference.

Comment

Thanks for the input Tonibunny. I can't believe this post appeared today - I just looked at these shoes earlier while at work and was going to post an inquiry here to see if anyone had tried them.

Think I'll get a pair. They even have one design that is kind of like a merry jane shoe, which would be great for the office.

They can be ordered online here: http://us.mbt.com/Home/Collection.aspx

Comment

Ooh it is nice to see they have a lot more styles now! I bet we don't get that much choice here in the UK though. The shoes I've got are really ugly as heck, but I wear them under long bootcut jeans so you can't see them anyway.

People often say they can't walk far in MBTs without their calves killing them, but I took to them straight away and have been on five mile hikes in them I haven't worn them for a while and my calves have got tight again - I can't do the Downward Dog yoga pose at the moment because of this (fusion T1-L4 isn't a problem though!).

Comment

Tonnibunny - you may be in luck - here's the UK web page:

http://uk.mbt.com/default.aspx?lang=en-GB

Looks like they have an office in London. Most reviewers say the same thing you did. I ended up ordering from zappos.com because the prices were a little better - got two pair for the price of one - well, almost ;-)

Also - Zappos suggests ordering 1/2 size larger than normal. Looking forward to more pleasant walking.

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
                  I love MBTs, and I've found they are great for helping with back pain, especially if you have a long fusion! They have a cushioned heel which prevents the force of impact as your heel strikes the ground. I'm fused from T1-L4 so my two remaining discs take all the pressure, and I feel these shoes make a big difference.

Really Tonibunny? I figured that since I can sometimes be a klutz, even just taking a walk, I might fall off them and hurt myself. Does it take a while to learn to walk in them? There was a girl in my zumba class wearing those shoes and I couldn't believe she didn't keel over jumping around with them on.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Debbei, I put them on in the shop and was immediately able to walk in them with no problems at all - I think this is unusual though because even the salesgirl was impressed! My other friends who have them (who don't have scoliosis) do say that they took a bit of getting used to.

I think if you went and tried some on in a shop, you'd be able to tell right away if they were something you'd be able to get used to or not

Comment

While waiting for my MBTs to arrive, I've been looking for more information on them. Came across this:

http://www.ten-point.co.uk/index.php..._and_Scoliosis

And Toni - the store in the UK is having a sale!

http://www.ten-point.co.uk/cms/MBT_Sale

The Lami-red is cutsie :-)

Comment

Ah they are fab Mamamax, but I already have two pairs I also have 70+ other pairs of footwear and my boyfriend has banned me from buying more. I have moved onto handbags instead

I hope you get on with the MBTs as well as I do!

Comment

Toni - you made me giggle .. I do know what you mean. A ton of shoes in my closet as well but I refuse to be banned :-)

I hope I like them too - the authorized distributor I ordered from offers a refund if not satisfied for any reason. I've talked to a few people at work who have them and the verdict is split 50/50. Half love them and the other half have not given them a chance outside of wearing them for a few minutes. Go figure. Anyway, they come with a DVD instructional thing.

I liked the Ironman article (even though it wasn't referenced), anxious to give them a try and I do hope I take to them as well as you did.

If it works out I plan to get a dog. Something I've wanted to do for years but have held off on it due to the walking thing. Bracing has made that much better - hope the shoes are the icing on the cake. If so - a Wheaton Terrior is in my future :-)

Comment

Thanks for that discussion, folks! I am due for a new pair of sneakers, and perhaps I'll look into these. My lunchtime walking partners have them and they are also split 50/50 as to liking them.
                            34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
                            Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Hey all! I got a pair of Bogo's for $34.00 at K-Mart. I walked a mile in them first thing with no ill effects. I'm sure it'll take a couple of weeks or more to see if there will be any REAL effects, but it can't hurt. Right now, I'm trying just about anything.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X