Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Girls....

Hey Ladies,

Have any of you had breast implants? I had them done about 4 years ago, and at the time they compensated for my scoli, by making one a little bigger than the other. I am wondering after my scoli surgery if I will be lopsided (this time on the front and not the back! haha!)

Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

No, I haven't but I'd sure like to. I've always been way off. My right side had the big curve and was about a literal cup size smaller than the left. I thought maybe surgery might make it magically even--not so. I don't know that I've seen this topic before but I imagine this must be true of others too. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I have not had that surgery but I was definitly different sizes before surgery and am one of the lucky ones I guess because after surgery they are almost the exact same size. Bras actually fit now.

I beleave txsmarinemom had breast implant surgery before her scoli surgery, you may try running a search. Good Luck.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Hi everybody
        there were a couple of threads about this from several years ago, from before i even knew about this forum....if you do a search you might find the old ones...

i had asymmetrical breasts...didnt even know it was from scoli (when i was a teen i just thought i was a freak!)..had an implant done (saline) on one side only, around age 22.......developed problem about 10 years later...finally had it removed a few years after that.....after it was removed, i looked almost symmetrical...very very little difference...dont know why...maybe i had matured..dont know

havent had back surgery...yet...

happy new year to all
        jess

Comment

Patty--
          You're now the same size? That's great. Did this happen right away or does it take a while. I'm afraid 9 months out is too long & I'm out of luck. Darn! I was hoping that would be a nice little added extra--literally. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I did not put a Bra on for several months after surgery and when I tried they were to big....I lost about 20 or 25 pounds so I am sure that had something to do with it. But when I went shopping I needed a smaller size and it actually fit on both sides
            Patty 51 years old
            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
            Posterior T3- L4
            Pre surgery curves
            T-53degrees
            L-38degrees
            and a severe side shift to the right.
            Post surgery curves
            Less than 10 degrees
            Surgery April, 2006
            C4 - C6

Comment

I have implants. Both are the same size and they looked exactly the same after my surgery, still perfect!!
              Jamie Age 29
              Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
              2008 Curves - 39/63/44
              Surgery Date - 3/25/08
              T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

Now that I am reading more on everyones posts, I work with a lady who also has scoliosis and hers are different sizes. I never thought it had anything to do with her back but maybe it does since so many seem to have that same problem.
                Jamie Age 29
                Mother to a 6 year old daughter & an 11 month old baby boy.

2000 Curves - 28/40/32
                2008 Curves - 39/63/44
                Surgery Date - 3/25/08
                T4 - L1

63 degrees corrected to 15 degrees !

Comment

yup...it definitely does...wish somebody had told me that when i was a teenager!!

jess

Comment

I think if you were to do a survey, you would find that the same percentage of women in the general population have one breast larger that the other. I have always had one larger than the other and never had scoliosis as a young woman. Also, my scoliosis is primarily lumbar, so that couldn't affect the breasts. I would imagine with a thoracic scoliosis it could affect the musculature on one side and make that breast appear larger and that might be why once you have a good correction, they would even out. Just a guess.

Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

beg to differ....i have seen it again & again with scoli...for years! & though my lumbar is way worse, i still have 40 degree thoracic..just enuf for problems!!

jess

Comment

Jess,

Just what are you begging to differ on? That women without scoli don't have unequal breasts? I am confused by your statement.

Sally
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hey, Laura ...

I did have saline, submuscular implants placed 7 years before my fusion surgery: Mine were also done the same way (one overfilled). I also wondered if I'd forever be following one boob around after I had my back fixed.

As Sally pointed out, it's not just scoliosis patients with asymmetry, and I think everyone's *far* more conscious of our own perceived "defects" than anyone else.

One of MY main concerns after surgery is that my plastic surgeon adjusted ...

(psst ... everyone can tune out now who fears TMI - laff!)

... his work to compensate for one nipple that was ±1" lower than the other, pre-op. What effect a straighter spine would have on that, disturbed me. I had visions of Marty Feldman on my chest ...

Gravity worked it all out after fusion (maybe immediately, but at least by the time I cared to look in the mirror), and it wasn't an issue.

My "job" is still fine ... no worries!

Pam
                          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

ahhh yes the boob question! I have implants...got them when I was 28...err,so that ecccchhh, 8 years ago! They've been nothng but fun fun fun for me and when I noticed they were "off" post surgery, I was mortified! I didnt realize it right away...it wasnt until about 3 months later.(thanks to medication and the simple fact I just didnt care what I looked like those days, which was not the norm for me) I was gtetting ready for work and caught a glimps of myself in the mirror. I think my exact words were " HOLY $HIT what happened to my boobs!!??" I think I may have also shed a tear! lol So, said "Paul, look at them, are they uneven" I get a blank look as he glared. I asked again"Stop looking at them that way, just tell me if they are even or not" He took another look, and said yes they were not even, the right side was down about an inch and smaller. I was CRUSHED! Turns out that the right must have gotten the very very small hole during surgery and that the doc placed it lower to compensate. So now that I was straight, well, they were crooked! DOH! The result? Re-Do...this past September. They are MUCH better now!!
                            Lynn -30.... something
                            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                            UW Madison, WI Hospital
                            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn!!! hahah!!! What a funny story!! I'm glad I thought of it before surgery so I won't have the "Oh Shit" moment you had in the mirror! haha! I'm sure I will have to face that down the road...maybe next year if I can live with them uneven that long! How does your back feel and look now? Are you happy you had your scoli surgery done? How long were you out of commission, off work, unable to do your normal things? And...I don't know how to put this one...but how long til you could have uh...you know....after surgery? My boyfriend doesn't realize the extent of this surgery, and thinks it's something I will be recovered from in six weeks....I don't know about that! I might start another thread asking the sex question, if I can get my nerve up to do that!????
                              Laura
                              62 degrees
                              49 yrs. young
                              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Working...
                              X