PT /yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT /yes or no

What decides whether or not you go for PT?

Has anyone gone directly to a rehab from surgery ?

Do most people have a PT come to their home or do they go to a rehab facility from their house?

Is this real PT , like several hours a day or is it just 30 minutes?

What about OT? Like relearning how to do things differently if you can't move the same as before?

So many questions, but you good people keep giving great answers

Melissa

I was taken from hospital straight to rehab in an ambulance. I had OT and PT there a couple times a day. Nothing intense at all--just getting you moving and walking with walker and up and down stairs. I think this is totally your doctor's decision; I didn't know I'd have it until after surgery. Actually they had said I probably wouldn't need it. I was glad I had those extra 8 days there. I was not ready to go home yet. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My surgery was not as complex as some, but I have to say I love going to PT.
      I started going around 6 weeks doing very light movements and walking. Now at 4 months post op, I'm progressing and doing light weights with my arms. My leg had some nerve pain and even today I had some scaroiliac joint pain and my PT really took a lot of time with me with both problems. She explains a lot more than my doctor ever does! i keep telling my doctor I like going and he keeps letting me! I go one or two times a week for 1 hour.
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

I had anterior and posterior surgery which lasted 12 hours. I am fused from t9 to L5 and I am scheduled for physical therapy after everything is fused correctly. I did have a light form of physical therapy in the hospital. She came in and showed me the basics. She showed me how to log roll, walk and she had me walk up and down stairs. My doctor said absolutely no physical therapy until my back is fused.

rich

Comment

I think it's entirely dependent on the individual doctor. While in the hospital, PT only had me walking and doing stairs. I also had OT in the hospital, to help me figure out how to get dressed and do daily grooming the correct way. I did not have either PT or OT after I left the hospital.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I loved going to PT, and my physical therapist did wonders for me. Post surgery, I had problems with one of my hips feeling like it didn't 'fit' in the socket any more, and my PT stretched it every time I went. She stretched it for me in ways that I couldn't do myself, and by the time I was done with my visits, my hip joint felt perfectly normal. She also helped me understand what I could and could not do safely, and the best ways to hold/move myself when I exercised. I also went to her over the summer for a frozen shoulder, which she 'fixed' perfectly.

I got close with my PT, and a few months ago we met for dinner. She will always be a special person to me.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Janet...8 days in rehab!??? I am going to have surgery with Lenke almost exactly one year from when you did! (3/31/10). How are you doing with recovery??? And 8 days??? that sounds so long! Was it in a hospital, or hotel or what??? I'm traveling from Cleveland.

Thanks for the info!
              Laura
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young
              Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Laura--
                I was 8 days in hospital and then another 8 days in rehab at some cllinic I can't remember. I certainly hadn't planned on that much. I'm doing OK and considering all I had done I'm doing especially well. Most would never know I had the surgery unless they are told. Yes, I noticed we will be almost exactly a year apart. I remember early on wanting to fast forward 5 months and now I'm at 9 months. Looking back it does go fast. Especially since the first 2 months were almost a fog. My husband still fills me in on things I have no memory of. Good drugs. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                X