PDA

View Full Version : surgery in 2 days

sillycoffeegirl
01-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey all,

Im having surgery on th 6th. And im not that nervous, i think when i get there though i might cry. lol But i hope you all will say some prayers for me as well. Thanks everyone for being very supportive and knowledgable. :D
I know this also has been asked a million times, but what are the things i will need? :confused:
Thanks again everyone, couldnt do it with out ya. :)

mbeckoff
01-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I am getting redy to have surgery as well . Tho not as soon as yours. some days I wish it soon but then I am glad it is not because I have things I want to do here around the house . Where are you having your surgery?
I will put you on my prayer list

Melissa

ScoliSkye2
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow Bettany,
I will surely have you in my thoughts and prayers. My little one 12 yr old (my height :p) is having surgery on the 6th as well. I am taking the following: had lots of help from the great contributors on this forum
lip balm and face moisturizer
cozy socks and slippers
a few sets of PJ's that snap or button in front - Robe
Pads for Menses brought on by surgery sometimes (they give but you may not like the size)
MP3 player w/favorite songs
Her new Mac :cool:she got for Christmas :p
a book or too maybe hmmm she read all of Twilight 3 times already:o
braid your hair in two side ponytails (if long)
waterless hairwash caps (google) or someone on this site had a link
Comfy sweats to return home in
And someone to speak for you if you think your pain meds are not managed as good as they should:)

All the best to you!!

Doodles
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
And a super positive attitude would be good too. Don't worry about pj's too much. I only wore the gown and I brought a knee length tie front robe--I think I wore that for hall walks other than that the list above looks fine. Best of luck to both of you. You'll do great! Janet

sillycoffeegirl
01-04-2010, 01:34 PM
:)well, im here in phoenix, az. I will be at banner desert medical center.

ScoliSkye2
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
:)well, im here in phoenix, az. I will be at banner desert medical center.

Ooh HOT! :) well we are in brrrrrr NJ :p - Surgery in RWJ (Robert Wood Johnson's Childrens Hospital) Chief surgeon Sam Laufer performing the surgery 1/6/2010 7:30am - Skye going to hair salon tonight - I will braid it tomorrow night before bed (she wouldnt be caught at school with platts) :rolleyes: she has very long pocohantas type hair :).

I think you will do just fine. I know you will be very happy at the outcome because that is a recurring theme on this site... no regrets... only happy backs! :D and you surely will be in my Prayers!

:)Karen

loves to skate
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Bethany,
I will say a prayer for you also. You will do just fine and aren't you lucky to be able to recover where it is warm.
Sally

rich1752
01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
i really loved my robe and slippers. i brought books and magazines, but never felt like reading. I watched tv and got on my computer. good luck and your in my prayers...

rich

debbei
01-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Ooh HOT! :) well we are in brrrrrr NJ :p - Surgery in RWJ (Robert Wood Johnson's Childrens Hospital) Chief surgeon Sam Laufer performing the surgery 1/6/2010 7:30am - Skye going to hair salon tonight - I will braid it tomorrow night before bed (she wouldnt be caught at school with platts) :rolleyes: she has very long pocohantas type hair :).

I think you will do just fine. I know you will be very happy at the outcome because that is a recurring theme on this site... no regrets... only happy backs! :D and you surely will be in my Prayers!

:)Karen

Karen,
I live closeby, and Dr. Laufer is my children's doctor. None of mine (yet) have required surgery. I like him very much, and from what I understand, he is very well respected and knowledgeable in scoliosis surgery. I have also heard wonderful things about him from my surgeon, Dr. Neuwirth.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery and I'm sure everything will work out just fine. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries. :)

debbei
01-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Bethany,

Good luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. It will be over before you know it and you'll be recovering. I think it's a good thing for you being in a warm climate. Since my surgery, my back HATES the cold. :)

Let us know how you do.

RitaR
01-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Besta luck to you BOTH! And, remember, we are all behind you 100%. We know you will do just fine - and will tell us sometime soon that you are only hoping we do half as well as you did.
Only the best of wonderful thoughts wished your way.......

Radiogirl
01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Good Luck Bethany! You will be absolutely fine! You have done your homework and now the rest is up to your doctors! I'll keep you in my prayers. Post as soon as you can!
Laura

ScoliSkye2
01-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Karen,
I live closeby, and Dr. Laufer is my children's doctor. None of mine (yet) have required surgery. I like him very much, and from what I understand, he is very well respected and knowledgeable in scoliosis surgery. I have also heard wonderful things about him from my surgeon, Dr. Neuwirth.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery and I'm sure everything will work out just fine. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries. :)

Debbei
Yaay thanks for the good report on Dr. L
I am feeling really good about him. So glad he is expert in his field as well. Pooks is 12.5 yrs old 5'5 and growing. I will know so much more tomorrow at our final consult. It's late in the game but we already made the decision a while ago to go ahead with the surgery so tomorrow is mostly to put me at ease by answering all my questions :rolleyes: - I went shopping at JCPenny and whew it was nice I got Skyes whole shopping list done for under $100 great 70% off sales :p if she doesn't use any of it at the hospital she will surely use it at home during recovery.

She's happy after the salon visit too :-) aah the small things :rolleyes:
eek! just to think I may be next whew!:eek:

Thanks for your email addy too. I got your other message! I just have to say it again.. You folks on here have done wonders to set me at ease and give me tools I need to ask the right questions and think the right thoughts. HUGS to you all!

ScoliSkye2
01-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries. :)[/QUOTE]

You know... I wonder if she had the "Anterior" from side procedure. I think the recovery and clearance on that one is pretty quick as well. I sure am praying for that to be the case :) - For Skye to astound all of us with her no pain, speedy recovery! I am a very specific pray-er :D

Well we feeling pretty good today. Skye is just amazing me with her demeanor I hope she continues in this place of Peace.:)

JenniferG
01-04-2010, 11:40 PM
That's two lots of well wishes heading across from Australia, to Bethany and Skye. I'll be thinking of you both and look forward to hearing about your experiences.

megz
01-05-2010, 12:15 AM
good luck to the two of you..I am having mine on monday!! Soo I know what you are feeling..I am trying to stay positive..I told my mom to prepare for me freakin out while I am at the hospital. :) lol I hope the give me something for my anxiety. You are both in my prayers.. Good luck :):)

Jimbo
01-05-2010, 02:45 AM
I wish you great success with your surgery.

Hell of a way to start the new year :D

debbei
01-05-2010, 06:10 AM
You know... I wonder if she had the "Anterior" from side procedure. I think the recovery and clearance on that one is pretty quick as well. I sure am praying for that to be the case :) - For Skye to astound all of us with her no pain, speedy recovery! I am a very specific pray-er :D

Well we feeling pretty good today. Skye is just amazing me with her demeanor I hope she continues in this place of Peace.:)

No,
my friend's daughter had posterior-only surgery, just like I did. Good luck again and let me know if I can help in any way.

loves to skate
01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
good luck to the two of you..I am having mine on monday!! Soo I know what you are feeling..I am trying to stay positive..I told my mom to prepare for me freakin out while I am at the hospital. :) lol I hope the give me something for my anxiety. You are both in my prayers.. Good luck :):)

The anxiety is mostly pre-op. You will be on drugs post-op so the anxiety is a non issue. Pre-op is definitely the hardest. Prayers for all of you.
Sally

asha
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Happy New Year! Happy New Back!!! Think;) positive thoughts. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your great recovery!

sillycoffeegirl
01-05-2010, 09:12 PM
thanks everyone! 6am here i come hehe

ScoliSkye2
01-05-2010, 09:54 PM
You will be in my prayers too! Skye is all cleared for surgery and ready to go. She is in great spirits cannot define how she feels. Scared.... no - nervous... no - anxious.... no - peaceful..... I guess :) - So to that I say Praise God!

Hope to hear from you soon and hope you have the most amazing recovery ever!

Thanks everybody!

JenniferG
01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Where does Skye get her peace? She's amazing. Good luck to January 6 patients!

Vali
01-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Best wishes to you both Bethany and Skye, of a safe and successful surgery and also of a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

mbeckoff
01-06-2010, 07:59 AM
I have been praying for you both

Melissa

huskymom
01-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Praying for you during your recovery! I cant wait for you to post all about it, since my surgery is here in 5 weeks! Please keep me posted how you are doing!! God Bless You and Good Luck with everything :)

Melissa

sillycoffeegirl
01-08-2010, 05:04 AM
Hey all. I'm post surgery now but it hurts. I can't get comfortable in bed cuz it hurts to move. Then when I have too much meds makes me nausea. But I think I have foung that percotet with tylenol works well if only I could eat now

ScoliSkye2
01-08-2010, 06:10 AM
I just peeked on here specifically to see if you were posting yet! Yaay! :DSee you and Skye are on the other side. Yeah Percocets would be my choice ;) Sorry about the nausea. Can't wait to hear more from you. They are removing Skye's chest tube today (that will be interesting :o) but then we get to leave ICU... been nice here but I know Skye is looking forward to visitors.

Okay... anticipating good news from you. God is Good!:D

Jimbo
01-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Hey all. I'm post surgery now but it hurts. I can't get comfortable in bed cuz it hurts to move. Then when I have too much meds makes me nausea. But I think I have foung that percotet with tylenol works well if only I could eat now

you did it! awesome for you to post so soon afterward :) you rest up now and heal. god bless

loves to skate
01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Bethany,
Wow, you young ones amaze me how quickly you can post so soon after surgery. You are doing great. I hope you aren't taking additional Tylenol with the Percocets because Tylenol is already in Percoset. But your nurses would know that, right? Get lots of rest now and heal quickly.
Sally

Radiogirl
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS BETHANY!!! YIPPPPEEE! GOOD JOB GIRL! :) You did it. Now it's your job to rest, and recover. Take it easy and post more when you can. I have been sending prayers and good thoughts your way!
Laura

sillycoffeegirl
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all ur wonderful prayers and everything. I know they worked. My doctor said the surgery went very well. Sorry I haven't been posting lately I've just been in a lot of pain. Got out of the hospital last tuesday nite. My back feels so tight and stiff rite now. It feels super swollen still is there anything I can do about that? And when does the pain usually start lessening?

debbei
01-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all ur wonderful prayers and everything. I know they worked. My doctor said the surgery went very well. Sorry I haven't been posting lately I've just been in a lot of pain. Got out of the hospital last tuesday nite. My back feels so tight and stiff rite now. It feels super swollen still is there anything I can do about that? And when does the pain usually start lessening?

AT this point in your recovery, feeling still and tight is perfectly normal. Your back is swollen now and that's normal too, and will go down over a number of months. I found that at the 2-3 week mark, I was feeling significantly better--not perfect, mind you, but significantly better than right after surgery.

Hang in there; you've been through the toughest part.

sillycoffeegirl
01-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks debbie

JDM555
01-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey! Congrats on getting through surgery. I know it's tough, trust me. It will all get better though, I feel 100x better now than I did a couple days after my surgeries. My back felt SOO tight, I know what you mean. Just hang tight and get through the days and before you know it, you will start feeling a lot better. I hope you recover nicely and don't worry about eating too much/swollen back/walking a mile a day/etc. Just rest and take your pain meds. Take a multivitamin/iron pill to get your blood back to normal and get your daily vitamins in. Drink a lot and lay down a lot, don't push yourself too soon. But if you can walk, go for a little walk.

Congrats again, post some before/after shots of your back now so we can all see how much straighter you are! Did you gain any inches?
John

mbeckoff
01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Congratulations to getting thru the surgery

It is less than 8 weeks for me now

Melissa

JenniferG
01-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Congrats Bethany. I think for me it was nearly three weeks getting the pain under control but once they did, I went ahead in leaps and bounds. I was 19 days in hospital but once home, on the right meds, and in a decent bed, there was no looking back.

From my experience, being pain-free to enable you to sleep well and good food, is essential for a good recovery. (Not sure about others, but there was no chance to sleep much in the hospital - it was so noisy. Unnecessarily so, much of the time.)

sillycoffeegirl
01-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know when one can usually start driving again?

sccrm08
01-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I had to be off all pain meds and feel well enough to drive. It took me 3 months to drive and then I drove as little as possible.

mbeckoff
01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Why did you drive as little as possible?

Melissa

I had to be off all pain meds and feel well enough to drive. It took me 3 months to drive and then I drove as little as possible.

debbei
01-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Does anyone know when one can usually start driving again?

My dr. cleared me for driving at 6 weeks. At that time I was on 2 long acting pills per day and 2 short acting. I was uneasy driving much until I was totally off meds completely at a little past 3 months. The pharmacist told me to be really careful, because although the dr. gave me clearance to drive, if there were an accident, it could be determined that I was on meds and I could be sued.

Vali
01-21-2010, 07:54 AM
My surgeon cleared me to drive at my 8 week appt as i had been off meds from day 15 post-op, however, i was in no hurry to drive as i was worried that my reaction time was not quick enough. With regards to the swelling, try to stay off your feet as much as you can. Happy healing!:)