Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery in 2 days

Hey all,

Im having surgery on th 6th. And im not that nervous, i think when i get there though i might cry. lol But i hope you all will say some prayers for me as well. Thanks everyone for being very supportive and knowledgable.
    I know this also has been asked a million times, but what are the things i will need?
    Thanks again everyone, couldnt do it with out ya.
    -Bethany
    pre-op L 74*
    pre-op Th 56*
    surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
    getting nervous

I am getting redy to have surgery as well . Tho not as soon as yours. some days I wish it soon but then I am glad it is not because I have things I want to do here around the house . Where are you having your surgery?
    I will put you on my prayer list

Melissa

Comment

Wow Bettany,
      I will surely have you in my thoughts and prayers. My little one 12 yr old (my height ) is having surgery on the 6th as well. I am taking the following: had lots of help from the great contributors on this forum
      lip balm and face moisturizer
      cozy socks and slippers
      a few sets of PJ's that snap or button in front - Robe
      Pads for Menses brought on by surgery sometimes (they give but you may not like the size)
      MP3 player w/favorite songs
      Her new Mac she got for Christmas
      a book or too maybe hmmm she read all of Twilight 3 times already
      braid your hair in two side ponytails (if long)
      waterless hairwash caps (google) or someone on this site had a link
      Comfy sweats to return home in
      And someone to speak for you if you think your pain meds are not managed as good as they should

All the best to you!!

Comment

And a super positive attitude would be good too. Don't worry about pj's too much. I only wore the gown and I brought a knee length tie front robe--I think I wore that for hall walks other than that the list above looks fine. Best of luck to both of you. You'll do great! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

well, im here in phoenix, az. I will be at banner desert medical center.
          -Bethany
          pre-op L 74*
          pre-op Th 56*
          surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
          getting nervous

Comment

Originally posted by sillycoffeegirl View Post
            well, im here in phoenix, az. I will be at banner desert medical center.
            Ooh HOT! well we are in brrrrrr NJ - Surgery in RWJ (Robert Wood Johnson's Childrens Hospital) Chief surgeon Sam Laufer performing the surgery 1/6/2010 7:30am - Skye going to hair salon tonight - I will braid it tomorrow night before bed (she wouldnt be caught at school with platts) she has very long pocohantas type hair .

I think you will do just fine. I know you will be very happy at the outcome because that is a recurring theme on this site... no regrets... only happy backs! and you surely will be in my Prayers!

Karen

Comment

Hi Bethany,
              I will say a prayer for you also. You will do just fine and aren't you lucky to be able to recover where it is warm.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

i really loved my robe and slippers. i brought books and magazines, but never felt like reading. I watched tv and got on my computer. good luck and your in my prayers...

rich

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliSkye2 View Post
                  Ooh HOT! well we are in brrrrrr NJ - Surgery in RWJ (Robert Wood Johnson's Childrens Hospital) Chief surgeon Sam Laufer performing the surgery 1/6/2010 7:30am - Skye going to hair salon tonight - I will braid it tomorrow night before bed (she wouldnt be caught at school with platts) she has very long pocohantas type hair .

I think you will do just fine. I know you will be very happy at the outcome because that is a recurring theme on this site... no regrets... only happy backs! and you surely will be in my Prayers!

Karen
                  Karen,
                  I live closeby, and Dr. Laufer is my children's doctor. None of mine (yet) have required surgery. I like him very much, and from what I understand, he is very well respected and knowledgeable in scoliosis surgery. I have also heard wonderful things about him from my surgeon, Dr. Neuwirth.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery and I'm sure everything will work out just fine. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Bethany,

Good luck. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. It will be over before you know it and you'll be recovering. I think it's a good thing for you being in a warm climate. Since my surgery, my back HATES the cold.

Let us know how you do.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Besta luck to you BOTH! And, remember, we are all behind you 100%. We know you will do just fine - and will tell us sometime soon that you are only hoping we do half as well as you did.
                      Only the best of wonderful thoughts wished your way.......
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Good Luck Bethany! You will be absolutely fine! You have done your homework and now the rest is up to your doctors! I'll keep you in my prayers. Post as soon as you can!
                        Laura
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young
                        Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                          Karen,
                          I live closeby, and Dr. Laufer is my children's doctor. None of mine (yet) have required surgery. I like him very much, and from what I understand, he is very well respected and knowledgeable in scoliosis surgery. I have also heard wonderful things about him from my surgeon, Dr. Neuwirth.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery and I'm sure everything will work out just fine. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries.
                          Debbei
                          Yaay thanks for the good report on Dr. L
                          I am feeling really good about him. So glad he is expert in his field as well. Pooks is 12.5 yrs old 5'5 and growing. I will know so much more tomorrow at our final consult. It's late in the game but we already made the decision a while ago to go ahead with the surgery so tomorrow is mostly to put me at ease by answering all my questions - I went shopping at JCPenny and whew it was nice I got Skyes whole shopping list done for under $100 great 70% off sales if she doesn't use any of it at the hospital she will surely use it at home during recovery.

She's happy after the salon visit too :-) aah the small things
                          eek! just to think I may be next whew!

Thanks for your email addy too. I got your other message! I just have to say it again.. You folks on here have done wonders to set me at ease and give me tools I need to ask the right questions and think the right thoughts. HUGS to you all!

Comment

I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but I spoke with a work friend today whose 13 yr old daughter had surgery 6 months ago, I think 8 levels. She has been cleared for all activity already, including gym, cheerleading, weight training, etc. She did remarkably well and I am sure your daughter will too.

It's us old ones that have longer recoeries. [/QUOTE]

You know... I wonder if she had the "Anterior" from side procedure. I think the recovery and clearance on that one is pretty quick as well. I sure am praying for that to be the case - For Skye to astound all of us with her no pain, speedy recovery! I am a very specific pray-er

Well we feeling pretty good today. Skye is just amazing me with her demeanor I hope she continues in this place of Peace.

Comment

That's two lots of well wishes heading across from Australia, to Bethany and Skye. I'll be thinking of you both and look forward to hearing about your experiences.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X