surgery on the 11th && 14th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery on the 11th && 14th

Ok so I am starting to get nervous now! haha.. It will be here before I know it. I go Wednesday for my pre-op appointment with the Dr. and right after that I go and speak with the anesthetist. eeek o_O
    What do I need to bring with me when I am in the hospital?! I'm sure they have stuff there for me but what are the stuff that you wish you had brought?! I got a niccee 3-1 body wrap blanket that I must have with me lol. They expect me to be there 10-14 days.. I can't believe its almost a week away!! I can't wait until its done and over with!

xoxo,
    Megz

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hello Megz
    Besta luck to you. I can imagine you are nervous, but I am confident you will do fine. My date of July still seems somewhat in the distance, but I am sure I will be in your shoes sooner than I think. Please keep me posted and let me know how things go. Where are you having your surgery, who is your doctor and what degree of curve are you?
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I was only at the hospital for 6 days, but I didn't wear pajamas at all; only the hospital gowns. I brought underwear and 'supplies' for when my period came. Plus products to wash my face, brush my teeth, and no-water caps to wash my hair with. I wasn't interested in ipods or books or anything to keep me entertained. All I wanted was TV and sleep.

Good luck to you,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Debbei,

just wondering, what is the no-water cap you mentioned for hair washing?

Megz,

Good luck with your surgery, and I will look forward to your posts afterwards as you recover.

Take care,
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
          Hello Megz
          Besta luck to you. I can imagine you are nervous, but I am confident you will do fine. My date of July still seems somewhat in the distance, but I am sure I will be in your shoes sooner than I think. Please keep me posted and let me know how things go. Where are you having your surgery, who is your doctor and what degree of curve are you?

I'm having my surgery at Mass General in Boston. Dr. Wood will be performing the surgery. I have two curves the top is 110 and the bottom is 90ish. Dr. Wood believes he will be able to get both curves to 50 degrees..thats good enough for me! as long as I'm not in anymore pain!! =)

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            I was only at the hospital for 6 days, but I didn't wear pajamas at all; only the hospital gowns. I brought underwear and 'supplies' for when my period came. Plus products to wash my face, brush my teeth, and no-water caps to wash my hair with. I wasn't interested in ipods or books or anything to keep me entertained. All I wanted was TV and sleep.

Good luck to you,
            I hate the hospital gowns!! I'm soo small that they don't fit me right! =) haha I would think it would be difficult to wear at the hospital, but I brought some just in case plus I will spending a couple weeks at my moms house afterwards. What are no water caps?? I'm gonna bring my laptop they have wifi at the hospital. I don't know how much I'll be on it but my mom will be there with me so I am sure she will be on it.

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
              Hi Debbei,

Megz,

Good luck with your surgery, and I will look forward to your posts afterwards as you recover.

Take care,
              Thank you very much =)

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Slippers and a robe was all i needed the 7 days I was in the hospital. My physical therapist wanted me walking the halls and I didn't want to only wear the open back gown. I am 3 weeks out now. It's getting easier, but started to feel sick when I eat and can't keep food down. My left side is still numb, but doctors said that is normal because of the muscles cut during the surgery.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
                  Slippers and a robe was all i needed the 7 days I was in the hospital. My physical therapist wanted me walking the halls and I didn't want to only wear the open back gown. I am 3 weeks out now. It's getting easier, but started to feel sick when I eat and can't keep food down. My left side is still numb, but doctors said that is normal because of the muscles cut during the surgery.

rich
                  check! Def bringing slippers and robe. Did they get you out of bed the next day?? Is it the pain meds that are making you sick?

27 year old female
                  Upper Curve 110 degrees
                  Lower Curve 90 degrees
                  Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                    Hi Debbei,

Take care,
                    I'm not sure if this is the brand I had, but here is a link:

http://www.lifesolutionsplus.com/no-...cap-p-408.html

My private nurse used one on me each day. It wasn't like a 'real' shampoo, but it sure helped. It made me feel a little more refreshed.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey! I had my surgery 3 weeks ago. I brought my laptop and loads of DVDs to watch - I didn't have any concentration for reading books. I also had a radio which I loved having there. It was a little connection to the real world!

I took dry shampoo but never used it. I had my hair in plaits so it didn't bother me if it was getting greasy, and on day 8 the nurses washed it in the shower. I would not have lived without my lip balm and face moisturiser!! I don't always use them at home, but in the hospital I constantly felt the need to moisturise! Also you will need a really great pair of slippers. If you take pyjamas, take a baggy pair so that they can go comfortably over the catheter.

Good luck!
                      22 years old
                      Diagnosed at 15 with scoliosis.
                      Surgery 10th December 2009 with Mr Alex Gibson at the RNOH Stanmore in London.

Comment

I was obsessed with Chapstick in the hospital -- the air is very dry there. I also wore nothing but the hospital gown until I went to rehab after 10 days. They gave me socks with grips on the soles so I didn't need slippers either. I wore slip-on sneakers when I was discharged.

I brought an ipod with me but had no interest in listening to music, watching TV, or looking at magazines...I just wanted to sleep. I also had mild hallucinations from the pain meds...kind of like watching a movie!!!

Wishing you all the best.
                        Chris
                        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Definitely chap stick......And if you have long hair braid it.My hair is long and I put it in a ponytail and from thrashing in bed it was in big tangles.Thanks for my hairdresser daughter took 5 hours to get tangles out.
                          Aug.17,09 Anterior
                          Aug.20,09 Posterior
                          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                          Cedars-Sinai
                          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                          Husband married 30 years
                          3 kids 29,28,25
                          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Megs
                            I was the same as Chris. I had no interest in music or TV. I would just want another shot to go back to sleep with.

The hospital told me not to bring all sorts of stuff since they are not responsible for theft. It would be best to have your items brought down later, after they get you up. For some reason they had me in all sorts of different rooms, and the trips to x-ray (which I enjoyed) all happened at night.

I think that the cell phone by my bed was the most valuable item, next to my teddy bear. LOL

Try not to worry too much. You will have some incredibly talented people taking care of you. I didn't worry all that much since I knew this. My surgeon went to school for 19 years..... My nurses were great also. They are all experts at doing this stuff, and do it every single day.

Be strong now.
                            Ed

Ps They hand out heated blankets like champagne at a social function. If not just ask, they will keep you toasty.
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ok ladies heres another question..what did you do about wearing a bra?! I can't imagine it being comfortable and rubbing up against the incision. Also, did anyone have to goto Physical Therapy after or have a visiting nurse come into your home..I will be staying with my mom for a couple weeks and she wants to get me a hospital bed and put it down in her dining room..She feels it will be better than sleeping on a pull out bed. How would I go abouts getting a hospital bed.

27 year old female
                              Upper Curve 110 degrees
                              Lower Curve 90 degrees
                              Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Working...
                              X