Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clothing after surgery, in the hospital??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing after surgery, in the hospital??

Anyone who has been through surgery . What clothing do I need to take for Mandy for post op? Will she be able to slip t-shirts one over her head etc??
    Any other suggestions, GREATLY appreciated!!
    "With God All Things Are Possible"
    Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
    to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

I brought a loose, button up shirt for Sheena to wear home. I would just suggest very comfortable and loose clothing. She could raise her hands over her head with no problem but apparently some people have a problem with this.

Comment

Skye's Nurse says to bring PJ's that button or snap in the front
      Pads if girl as surgery usually brings on menstuation and tweens may not like the hospital issued ones - Laptops, dvd players, Ipods, etc (said they supply the games and movies) - socks, slippers, robes, lotions - comfort stuff - hair in two braids to the sides (if long) Skye is 5'5 and her hair is below her waste stuff to keep me busy as I WILL be staying with her the ENTIRE time - books, mags - easy clothes to return home in sweats and tops that do not require her to raise her arms above her head to remove.

Comment

Thank you all!! We are just counting down the days now.....12 to go!
        Reading the post from Dairrien's Mom has given me CHILLS. I wish there was some way I could help !

Comment

Hi Gina,

My daughter Julia is almost 5 weeks post-surgery. She is doing great now. As for what to wear, in the hospital she just wore the hospital gown, though I had pjs for her in case she wanted them. She did wear her own lightweight robe over the gown when doing her walking and stair practice - she did this with the physical therapist a couple times and also with me. For the trip home, she wore a loose t-shirt and pajama pants. She had no trouble putting a top over her head; she was fused T11-L4, but perhaps if fusion is higher up lifting arms could be a problem. Our ride home was difficult - she seemed to feel every bump for the one hour drive. But the minute she was home all was forgotten - she was sooo happy to be home with her pets and own bed etc., and felt 100 times better immediately.

BTW, as a girl I had an Arabian, I am partial to them! Julia has a thoroughbred. She rode up to the day before surgery and her dr has okayed her riding again at 3 - 4 months post surgery, but no jumping for a few months more (it worries me, but it is her passion and it's hard to deny her that.) In fact it was her trainer who first noticed she was riding "crooked" and led us to discover her scoliois two years ago. Her dr said that in surgery he told the team "this girl jumps horses so I'm putting in heavy artillery and extra bone shavings" - don't know if he really did but she likes the story!

Mandy and you will be in my thoughts and prayers this week. Best wishes.

Barbara

Comment

Thank you! I love horses and Arabians in particular. I have built a business around that passion . I am like so many others, right after her diagnosis, I just could not THINK. I have really let my business go because I can design or even think about designs right now . Mandy is not that crazy about horses so not being able to ride is not a big thing for her. It would have KILLED me at that age to not have been able to ride!
            4 days and packing.............. trying to get it all together........
            Gina

Comment

hey gina ,
              I havent had surgery but my cousin had the same ome but she said never wear silk pj's you slide to much and it will hurt to much . I just wanted to tell you that so she wont be in more pain . Praying for a great recovery and surgery !
              [COLOR="Cyan"]59 degree curve birth
              110 degree curve now
              Sydnie SueAnn ^.^ Always open to help xo

Comment

Working...
              X