Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Day Jan 6th

Hi all,
    I am new at posting but not new to the forum (following off and on for 6 years). We even went to Boston and met with Joe Obrien a couple years back (THANKS JOE!!) for all you encouragement!

My 12 year old is having surgery on 1/6 in NJ Dr Samuel Laufer will perform the surgery. Skye was diagnosed oh 6 years ago. We used the Spincor brace (wonderfully given to us by Shriners in Erie, however we never quite got Skye to wear it as proscribed) so I cannot expertly speak on the benefits of the brace.

Anyway. Her curve has increased steadily and the Dr's have at this point recommended surgery.

We are having our final consult this evening and will hopefully ask all the remaining questions we think we need to know to help put us at ease.

You all have been so helpful in sharing experiences, suggestions (Shriners) etc. If anyone has any feedback on Dr. Laufer that would be helpful. I saw some on the forum but it is years old 04, 05, 08 - He was recommended to us by a friend (young adult 25) that he performed surgery on - she cannot say enough good things about him.

All the very best for the surgery and I hope your daughter has a smooth recovery. Sounds like you've been down a long road, but you're nearly there!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Prayers for you both! I know how you feel. Mandy had her second pint of blood drawn today and is getting ready for surgery Jan 14. It's a scary time us all. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers !!
      "With God All Things Are Possible"
      Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
      to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Thank you thank you! They actually did not take another pint from Skye because her blood count is low but they did say the pint she gave and the pint my husband gave two weeks ago will be enough thank God! I will surely pray for you too.

The kids are so much more resilient than us. Skye's only issue is that she will not be able to go to Great Adventures for a year she is quite the thrill ride seeker the bigger the better - it did bless me to hear her say that today. She says she is ready. I am concerned about the low blood count which has been consistent. She has been taking 3 feosols a day with orange juice to build and yet the count is still an issue. I am going to try liquid chlorophyll for a few days to get her built up.

Also praying for Gabby and her mom... Dr. Laufer says there will be two teams of surgeons on board.. his team and a Thoracic team just in case - an anesthesiologist and a technician who's only job is to monitor her spinal chord during the surgery. She is having an Anterior procedure (they are going in from her side) which is less invasive -

My consultation was postponed until Jan 5th so I will have to wait until then for my final Q&A...

Comment

Best wishes for a successful surgery and good recovery. You and Skye will be in my thoughts and prayers. My daughter is 3 1/2 weeks post surgery and doing very well. There were definitely some very hard moments the first few days, but I kept thinking this will pass, soon we'll be home. It is so great to be on the other side, as they say.

Take care,
          Barbara

Comment

I just wanted to wish Skye luck. Dr. Laufer is excellent, he was actually my surgeon as well. He was able to get my curve down to practically nothing and everything went extremely well. I really cannot say enough good things about him and his team. Everything will be great, your daughter is in great hands and will get through this. The first few weeks are the hardest, but you'll be surprised at how quickly she will bounce back. =)

And lol, I was quite upset about the Great Adventure thing too. After being a year post-op, though, she'll be able to ride them again with no issue.
            Wishing your daughter, as well as yourself and your family, luck!
            Last edited by danceISlife; 01-03-2010, 01:33 PM.
            Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Home Health Aid

Whew finally found my way back to the only thread I started (and I dont know how I did it eek ) As tecky as I think I am - I cannot maneuver forums -
              I spoke with my insurance today. They said Skye was in fact eligible for home Health Aid (score ) I just need to have a discussion with her surgeon and give him the contact info to the "In Network" agency of my insurance and they will cover 90% of the cost! So we will discuss tomorrow how many hours the Doc thinks Skye will require and what her needs will be ie PT, meals, pain management, assistance bathing etc etc. This is going to help us tremendously as we were kind of at a loss as to who would be home with her. I saw someones (teen) thread saying they fell twice within 2 or 3 weeks of surgery and I....whew well you know....

One more answered pray and stress reliever Yaay! We even considered moving her bed downstairs to the family room (she kind of likes that because it will accomodate all her friends playing all those video games while she watcher but there is no way my hubby is going to sleep upstairs while she sleeps downstairs so that really is a non-option

Big day tomorrow... appt with Pediatrician to clear Skye for surgery - then off to Dr. L for final x-ray and Q&A - dinner at her favorite restaurant then home to pack, enema did I say that LOL poor thing! hair braiding, prayer and off to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
                Prayers for you both! I know how you feel. Mandy had her second pint of blood drawn today and is getting ready for surgery Jan 14. It's a scary time us all. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers !!
                How is everything with you and Mandy? Getting closer . Each day closer has actually given me more confidence I hope it carries into Wednesday when they roll my baby away whew! .

Comment

Originally posted by danceISlife View Post
                  I just wanted to wish Skye luck. Dr. Laufer is excellent, he was actually my surgeon as well. He was able to get my curve down to practically nothing and everything went extremely well. I really cannot say enough good things about him and his team. Everything will be great, your daughter is in great hands and will get through this. The first few weeks are the hardest, but you'll be surprised at how quickly she will bounce back. =)

And lol, I was quite upset about the Great Adventure thing too. After being a year post-op, though, she'll be able to ride them again with no issue.
                  Wishing your daughter, as well as yourself and your family, luck!
                  Hey Sweetie!
                  thanks so much for reaching out! and your great confidence building regarding Dr. Laufer!!! yaay! I will have to let Skye read this she will definitely appreciate it - as thorough as I am I do not know what Skyes curvatures are but I do know that I lost my breath when I saw the x-ray and my husbands eyes teared up - Skye wasnt very happy either and was like when can we get this thing scheduled God bless her
                  I will keep everyone posted. Did you go to RWJ in New Brunswick? I hear they have WiFi so between my Mac and Iphone I should be real current.
                  Thanks again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jjsmom View Post
                    Best wishes for a successful surgery and good recovery. You and Skye will be in my thoughts and prayers. My daughter is 3 1/2 weeks post surgery and doing very well. There were definitely some very hard moments the first few days, but I kept thinking this will pass, soon we'll be home. It is so great to be on the other side, as they say.

Take care,
                    Barbara
                    Barbara thanks for the well wishes. I thank you for your honesty regarding the first few days. I will prepare my heart and mind to endure with her this difficult time. Skye is so soft spoken and conforming that I sometimes over compensate for her, but I know that everyone will have her best interest at heart (saw a video of Dr. Laufer speaking about this hospital unit) and their sole desire to make sure the children are well cared for. So I will take that and "speak nicely yet firmly" to everyone if necessary. I am confessing this now so it will be my experience ... but for real. I am committed to having an all around good experience.

All the best to you and your little girl as well. keep us up todate on her continued progress.
                    Hugs!

Comment

Thinking of you both tomorrow. Good to hear you sounding so positive!

Cheers,
                      Jen
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliSkye2 View Post
                        Hey Sweetie!
                        thanks so much for reaching out! and your great confidence building regarding Dr. Laufer!!! yaay! I will have to let Skye read this she will definitely appreciate it - as thorough as I am I do not know what Skyes curvatures are but I do know that I lost my breath when I saw the x-ray and my husbands eyes teared up - Skye wasnt very happy either and was like when can we get this thing scheduled God bless her
                        I will keep everyone posted. Did you go to RWJ in New Brunswick? I hear they have WiFi so between my Mac and Iphone I should be real current.
                        Thanks again!!!
                        No problem! Glad I could help. Yes, I did go to RWJ. They do have WiFi, it's pretty convenient. It's a great hospital overall. I wish your daughter luck tomorrow!!!

(And oh, the enema. What an unpleasant thing lol. I remember reading online that some surgery patients didn't have to use one, it depends on the doctor or hospital I think, and when the nurse at RWJ said that I did I was like, oh great. Lol. )
                        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

Working...
                        X