what should i do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should i do??

i have a bad problem with my scoliosis..
    i havent told anyone that i have it, only my mother knows. all of my friends question the way my body looks to eachother but are too afraid to ask me in person. ive been going to the chiropractor for 2 years now but he dosent do anything to decrease the curvature.. i dont know if there is any way i can decrease the degrees and making my body shape look more normal. people say that yoga is good, and really helps.. but i dobt it can make me look normal or take this bad pain away for good!!

Why is it a bad problem??, does your scoliosis "bother/worry" you???

Cause your in Australia, I know that you'll actually know the person whom I'm about to talk about. As you probably know, the actresss Georgie Parker, who plays Terri Sullivan on All Saints has scoliosis, from memory her curvature is about 40 degrees ish. She "manages" her scoliosis through lots of different things, if you googled her name you'd probably find some of them. From memory I think she does Yoga and Pilates and has a table with a funny name ;-)

Also, have a look (even if you don't watch All Saints have a peak sometime) at how she holds herself/stands and the clothes she wears (I had a look after mum of 5 said that she'd had a look at some of her pictures). The ways that she stands and the clothes she wears are to not really "hide her scoliosis" but to make sure she looks the best she possibly can (I read somewhere that she's got a pretty big rib hump and her torso looks strange)

I know that I like to "show off" my scar and strange looking back (it gets lots of interesting reactions from people or the "stare" whilst they reckon that they're not) in my clothing choices. I think a lot to do with scoliosis is how the person "feels" about themselves and how much they choose to think about it. And my theory is, its there, its a part of me, can't change it, why worry about it.

I never like to put a definition on normal, cause we're all strange in different ways. Maybe your friends stare/question how you look to each other but not to you because they are scared of asking/offending you. What would you have to loose by telling them???, you'd probably find they'd go oh, ok, ask a couple of questions then would treat you no different then they did before.

"ive been going to the chiropractor for 2 years now but he dosent do anything to decrease the curvature.. " this bit does concern me a bit. Cause I had a bit of a search to see what else you have posted and somewhere else you posted (from memory) that you know that the chiropractor can't decrease curvatures. Personally I don't trust chiropractors with a ten foot pole, but that's just me.

Any curvature "decrease" in "skeletally mature" people takes time cause the spine is more solid and in a position, and from what I know, it is a long a slow process. I don't know much about Yoga, but I know that some people "swear" by it. For the "pain" in your back, what about consulting with a physio or a massage therapist (my mum swear by hers). The physio as well as "massaging/manipluating" your back to make it looser could also give you strengthing exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back.

In reality, scoliosis is something that doesn't go away or disappear, even though everyone would like it very much to (except for some infantile curves but thats different). Most people have some degree of "curves" in their back. No one really has a back of 0 degrees. Even a fused back, which gets really good correction is often still at 10 degrees, or the compensatory curve resolves but the other curve is still there. But in the same breath, I think scoliosis is one of the most difficult things in life to have to "accept" because its something that is "visual" and can be seen.

Alison

Comment

my advice is, keep your posture good by strenghtning your abs and stretching your back i aslo do weights so i dont look like a disfigured. lol

Comment

caramia

Hey, Caramia

I totally understand I didn't want to tell anyone at all and I didn't want my teachers to know either. At some point it is good to tell your friends our your closet friend about it. even though it seems really scary to do and you don't want to. I found it helps to talk to some one and it is good to have friends made aware.

How ever the only reason why my teachers know is Because I am going to be having surgery on Nov.3rd

I hate chiroparcters I ended up being in more pain than what I started with.

hope my advice helps you

Alexandra Jones

Comment

Working...
        X