Lenke Moved My Date UP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenke Moved My Date UP!!!!

Hi Everyone!!! I was scheduled for a May 2010 surgery with Lenke, but his office called the other day saying he is so busy on the SRS board, that he would like to move the date up! So now..new date is 3/31/10! YIKES!!! Just 3 months away! I don't know what I don't know!!! So...where do I start? I have been reading various posts here, and you have all been so helpful. I have basic questions, which I will ask him at my pre op appt in February..but...for instance, I work out now doing cardio/running 4 or 5 days a week, and lifting weights 4 days a week. This keeps me in shape. Will I EVER be able to get back to doing that??? How long until I can do treadmill? How long until I can do some light weight training? How do you keep the weight off while recuperating? I gain weight so easily, that if I don't work out and I just LOOK at food, I gain!!! Any help on that would be great. Also...here's a biggie....I just started seeing a new guy in October. We are seriously dating. I haven't told him anything about this yet. He hasn't mentioned noticing my back. I hide it pretty well. Thoughts on this one, please??? And..uh hum...how long til we can have sex???

Sorry this is long...but I have less time to prepare now that it's moved up!!! And I have so many questions!

Thanks!!!
    Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
    Hi Everyone!!! I was scheduled for a May 2010 surgery with Lenke, but his office called the other day saying he is so busy on the SRS board, that he would like to move the date up! So now..new date is 3/31/10! YIKES!!! Just 3 months away! I don't know what I don't know!!! So...where do I start? I have been reading various posts here, and you have all been so helpful. I have basic questions, which I will ask him at my pre op appt in February..but...for instance, I work out now doing cardio/running 4 or 5 days a week, and lifting weights 4 days a week. This keeps me in shape. Will I EVER be able to get back to doing that??? How long until I can do treadmill? How long until I can do some light weight training?

Thanks!!!
    Laura
    Hey Laura, I can help you out with some of your questions. First of all, 4-5 days of cardio and lifting weights 4 days is totally normal. I lift weights 4-5 days a week and have some cardio days, so I know what you mean. Of course you will be able to do cardio/lifting weights. Not trying to be a sexist or anything, but since you're a female, I'm guessing you don't lift anything that heavy, for instance, anything over 50lbs right? If so, that will be easy to return to. My doctor told me at 6 months, I can return to the gym and do very light weights, and some cardio. By a year, I can return full time. Treadmill/cardio would be quicker to return to than lifting weights, probably 4-5-6 months for that, it depends on what your doctor tells you though, I know people who return to the gym at 3 months, and people that didn't touch anything over 10lbs at 1 year.

3 months is PLENTY of time to prepare for this surgery. I met my doctor, talked to him, had my xrays, had my pre-op, planned my surgery, got it postponed, and set it to a new date 2 weeks after the first, and only 3 months passed by. My surgery is actually tomorrow, I'm a little worried, but it's all going to be OK. You'll be fine.
    John

Comment

Hi John!!! Thank you for your reply and for setting my mind at ease about the workouts. Yes, you are right, I don't really lift anything over 50 lbs. except for squats. I guess I will modify that and do other things like lunges maybe? If I can at least do the treadmill in 3 months...that will be my first goal. Your surgery is tomorrow!!!??? That is fantastic!!! Best of luck to you. I wish I could have mine done right now to get on to the healing part!!! Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing as soon as you can John!! Good luck!!! You will be fine!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
        Hi John!!! Thank you for your reply and for setting my mind at ease about the workouts. Yes, you are right, I don't really lift anything over 50 lbs. except for squats. I guess I will modify that and do other things like lunges maybe? If I can at least do the treadmill in 3 months...that will be my first goal. Your surgery is tomorrow!!!??? That is fantastic!!! Best of luck to you. I wish I could have mine done right now to get on to the healing part!!! Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing as soon as you can John!! Good luck!!! You will be fine!
        Haha Thanks. Yes, it has been a few crazy weeks for me and I'm going out of my mind, but not cause I'm nervous of the surgery, that is no biggie, I'm really calm about that. Just too much going on at once.

Lunges, yes, but that is also hard on the spine. How do you do squats? I was DYING when I did squats cause of my back/lumber curve. Deadlifts too, that was hell, I stopped immediately, felt so bad. You can easily do 50lb squats, that is what, basically the bar? That should be very easy to do after surgery. Even if your at 8 months, you should do that, make sure you have great form though, remember that, form>weight. After the year and you start feeling comfortable, you can easily raise the weight to 80,90,100,120,etc. There is no limit after surgery and when you are fully healed besides lifting deadlifts/bending your back. Hope this helped and thanks for the luck about tomorrow, I will keep people posted, I have my huge thread after all. Lol
        John

Comment

Laura, yes i agree with john. I think i set my date about a month ago and mine is on jan 6th for surgery. So 3 months is a great amount of time to get everything done. I think 3 months will actually feel longer than you think. so dont stress you have plenty of time. I think the only reason i am feeling so stressed is because im working fulltime and christmas and i have to drive 45 min each way to work rite now. So i feel super tired when i get home and back is hurting. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

John, thanks for talking about the working out. Because it would suck if i had to wait a whole year just to work out a lil bit.
          -Bethany
          pre-op L 74*
          pre-op Th 56*
          surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
          getting nervous

Comment

Hi Laura,
            I was allowed back on the treadmill as soon as i got out of hospital. Of course, the walking was very slow initially, but by about the 5-6 week stage, i was almost back to walking at normal pace (some days better than others).
            With regards to lifting, i was not allowed to lift anything more than 5kg until my 5 mnth appt, when this was raised to 8kg, this still remains unchanged.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thank you Bethany and Vali!!! Vali, I'm glad to hear you could do the treadmill right away. That will be a lifesaver!

Bethany, where are you having your surgery done on Jan 6th??? I wish you good luck, but I am sure you will be in great hands! Don't you wish we were already in the recovery stage? Keep us posted on how you are doing!!!

Thanks!
              Laura
              Laura
              62 degrees
              49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Surgery date moved...

I am very interested to know more about the change in your surgery date. I am currently scheduled with Dr. Lenke on June 30th. Last time I spoke to his nurse she said the first of July is when he officially would take over as President of the Research Society and was not sure how it would impact my surgical date. Reading about your May surgery having to be rescheduled worries me about my date.
                Teresa
                Age 46; Diagnosed at age 11, 4 years Milwalkee Brace
                62/66 degrees pre-op
                Surgery 6/09/10 with Dr. Lenke - T4-S1, 2 cages
                20/17 degrees post-op
                SCOLIOSIS RUNS IN THE FAMILY!
                Mom to:
                Ryan, diagnosed @ 13 w/24 degree curve; Lauren diagnosed @ 10 w/10 degree curve; Bryce diagnosed @ 9 w/19 degree curve. Bryce underwent vertebral stapling 5/11/09, 28 degrees pre-op to 7 degrees one year post-op. Vertebral Stapling ROCKS!

Comment

Hi Theresa,

That's good news about your son's very successful VBS. My daughter is currently on the waiting list at Shriners Philly, we hope her curve will stay where it is at 27 while we wait. If you don't mind my asking, where (city) was your son's stapling done?

Good luck with your own surgery too.
                  Gayle, age 50
                  Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                  Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                  Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                  2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                  2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Greenthumb View Post
                    I am very interested to know more about the change in your surgery date. I am currently scheduled with Dr. Lenke on June 30th. Last time I spoke to his nurse she said the first of July is when he officially would take over as President of the Research Society and was not sure how it would impact my surgical date. Reading about your May surgery having to be rescheduled worries me about my date.
                    Teresa - you should call Kelley, his nurse/assistant. I just talked to her today as a matter of fact! Mine was originally scheduled for May15th..but I called her once a month to see if anybody canceled. She finally called and said his schedule is getting crazy and I could move it up to 3/31, so I did. You should call her to see if you can too. I cannot WAIT til it's over! Where are you flying from? What is degree of your curve? Didn't you feel very confident with him when you met him? He made me feel very at ease.

Laura
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

I called Kelly in Dr. Lenke's office today myself. Maybe if we talk to them enough they'll move us all up to just get us done and off his schedule. That would be nice! I told her I was in dire pain, having severe muscle spasms and Hydrocodone is no longer doing anything for my pain, except constipating me beyond belief. I know - too much information. I would think with someone 90 degrees who has already had some problems with bladder, muscle spasms, losing feeling in legs, severe pain - need I go on? they could surely move me up. But that's just me. I know I sound desperate, but this has just been one of those days. I'm tired of all this pain - tired of waking up in the morning and taking a pain pill before my OJ and having to eat just to keep my stomach calmed down becauswe of the medication. I am not a medication person - but, this is the worst pain I have ever dealt with. I told Kelly my back hurts when I sniff, coughing kills me completely so sneezing is out of the question, and am having more and more problems walking. I know I'm whining here. Sorry. Anyways, hopefully she will call me back tomorrow and move my date up too. Right now I'm scheduled for July. I can't imagine waiting that long. I'd welcome a March date fore sure.
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

RitaR..wow....that's terrible. I'm so sorry for you. I bet you they move you up. He wants to clear his schedule as much as possible after July 1st, I think. We are so lucky we even got in with him. Where are you traveling from? I'm not looking forward to the plane ride back to Cleveland for me!

Laura
                        Laura
                        62 degrees
                        49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Hello Radiogirl: I'm so hoping he moves me up. I just don't truly know if I could stand this until July. I'm trying to be hopeful and positive, but like today it's really hard. I'm sitting here right now on the heat pad, having took my two pain pills with dinner. Makes me a little dizzy, but the heat pad is the only "sorta" relief I get. I am hoping the snow keeps it up tonight and I won't have to work tomorrow. I can sit in my chair on the heat pad all day tomorrow. Having just had DeQuervain's (wrist) surgery last Feb I just don't have the leave at work, ya know? Ugh! All these things!!!!! I"m in Topeka, KS. St. Louis is probabl y not as far for me as most, but I think the ride home is going to be longer than the ride there.....
                          Rita Thompson
                          Age 46

Comment

WEll, thanks to all of you on here for your encouragement. I talked with Kelly in Dr. Lenke's office this morning. She said she might have a cancellation for me and she will know for certain very soon. Long story. She said she hoped to call me back tomorrow for sure or if I don't hear from her tomorrow I'm supposed to call her on Monday definitely. Keep your fingers crossed. These past few days have been horrible. I told her I was becoming desperate for a cancellation since I now have trouble sleeping and sniffling and breathing are causing great pain. I can notice I'm not getting enough air to talk so I know this is now impinging on my lungs. She was very understanding and said they had pulled my x-rays and saw that I prob ably qualified for a cancellation. Hopefully I will find out hte next few days for sure. Thanks for all your suggestions that I call his office. I will keep you posted.
                            Rita Thompson
                            Age 46

Comment

Rita--I so hope this works out for you and you can get a cancellation. It sounds like you really need to get in there for surgery. Certainly keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                              X