Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The role of tight hamstrings in recovering from Kyphosis surgery

deleted post
    Last edited by hdugger; 05-19-2013, 02:36 AM.

I think this is quite interesting because Dr. Kiester of UC Irvine, who we've talked about in this forum believes that scoliosis is due to a tight tendon or ligament on one side of the spine. I believe he stated that the evidence was overwhelming.

I think he may be on to something because it may explain why braces are more effective when they get a good correction or overcorrect. They may simply be helping to stretch out the tight tendon/ligament.

Should be interesting to see the research unfold.

Comment

Question: exactly what do they mean when they say sagital imbalance and spine malalignment--was that the term? Does this have anything to do with leaning to one side after fusion? I've always had tight ham strings and really do now. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

My son has tight hamstrings, as a matter of fact he is extremely inflexible overall. He also has sagittal imbalance. We were told that the "plum line" from his neck down to the bottom of his spine was off kilter by about 2 cm. Unless he really thinks about having good/straight posture, he tends to lean to the right a bit while bending his left knee. He also tends to move his right arm/side more on our walks and I have to remind him to move his left arm and lean more to the left. It really is upsetting after all he's been through.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Working...
        X