Back at Home!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back at Home!

Well,, the first couple of days was rough. Blood loss and irregular heart rate. Doctor came into my room yesterday afternoon and said, "You can go home,if you feel up to it?" I jumped on it! The 3 hour ride, turned into 5 hours, because my wife driving slow and then having to stop to fill a prescription the doctor had given me. Got home last night!!! Feel much better!! The memory foam matress was great! They should have those in hospitals for spine patients. It was different being home, cause all the new movements, I must do now. This morning was hard!! I was so sore! I don't know if it was the car ride. I am still weak and sore!

My doctor just called and wants to see me in a week. That would mean a 5 hour drive there and then have my appointment and then 5 hour drive back. Don't know what I'll do then. My doctor knows best! Doctor Kropf from the spine institute in Santa Monica is the best.

Oh, Yeah! Son told me that one of his favorite musicians had scoliosis. Kurt Cobain from Nirvana. He said that Kurt started using illegal drugs because of the pain he had from scoliosis!

Everyday it gets easier!

Thanks everybody for your help and kind words!!

Rich

Good to hear you're back at home. How long was your stay in the hospital, I remember just like a couple of days ago you said you were going in for surgery. I'm guessing less than a week?
    John

Comment

was there for 6 days, it went from being in there to 14 days to down to 6. The first four days were pretty bad. Had multiple complications. Irreguilar heartrate, water in my lungs, overswelled left leg, loss of blood, loss of zinc and multiple other stuff. Everyday, I kept asking myslef, "what's next?". Monday was my good day and the hospital doctor's said that I could go on Tuesday. I hate hospitals, so i took them up on their offer.

rich

Comment

Originally posted by rich1752 View Post
        was there for 6 days, it went from being in there to 14 days to down to 6. The first four days were pretty bad. Had multiple complications. Irreguilar heartrate, water in my lungs, overswelled left leg, loss of blood, loss of zinc and multiple other stuff. Everyday, I kept asking myslef, "what's next?". Monday was my good day and the hospital doctor's said that I could go on Tuesday. I hate hospitals, so i took them up on their offer.

rich
        Wow you had all those complications and you were expected to stay in the hospital for 14 days and you managed to get out in 6? I hope I will get out in 5 or 6 days my self. It already sucks I'm going to spend new years in the hospital .

Comment

Congrats Rich. You're doing so well. Easy does it now, little steps, slow and sure! Glad you're back in your own bed, it makes a big difference, in my experience. Those hospital beds leave a lot to be desired!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hey rich,

How was before your operation?! I am starting to get a little nervous now lol..I hate having surgery (as I'm sure most people do) but just being in the hospital creeps me out..They say I will be in for 10-14 days. OH I hope I am out before then..Where you in a lot of pain when you woke up from the anesthesia? I am going for one of my pre-op apts tomorrow..So it will def be here before I know it,

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
            Fused T2-Pelvis
            Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Well, I hate to hear of your immediate postop problems and I have to say I'd gladly take only 6 days in the hospital. I'm hoping I am that lucky! Sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep the encouraging posts coming for those of us still waiting!! Pain is getting pretty bad for me and hearing stories like this only makes it a little easier. Thanks and good luck to you. What degree was your curve, if you don't mind me asking?
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

megz, the post op experience was a blurr. I remember getting ready for surgery and in the pre-op room with about 8 others. They come in and start hooking you up with all these electrodes, so they can monitor your neurological stuff while they are operating on you. I then being wheeled into the operating room with a bunch of people in it. They are talking about their day. Then, I swear, in about 10 seconds, I was out. Next thing I remember is waking up in post op and hearing doctor's and nurses talking about you. They did intubate me, but I don't remember that, just the fact that I still can't talk real loud.

My curve was 52 degree lumbar curve.

rich

Comment

rich do you mean you were intubated during the surgery or after?? and if after for how long, that isc they scariest part for me!!

27 year old female
                  Upper Curve 110 degrees
                  Lower Curve 90 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                  Fused T2-Pelvis
                  Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Hi Rich

Great to be back home, isnt it? My main complaint was the hospital bed! I should have had somebody bring foam down to the hospital for me.

They probably want you back to pull the staples out....Were you done on Dec 9th?
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yes, I was done on Decembr 9th and have to return next Tuesday, which i believe is the 22nd.

rich

Comment

congrats!!!

Hi Rich, Congrats to you!!! Please keep posting about your recovery @ home. My surgery is February 17 and I love hearing others stories. I am going to be fused from C5 or C6 to L1 or L2 so pretty much my whole spine.
                        But again, CONGRATS on getting home. I am sure it feels so good to sleep in your own bed again!
                        Take Care,
                        Mel

Comment

mel, it does feel good sleeping in my own bed,, or should I saw try to sleep in my own bed. The bed more comfortable then the hospital bed, but the presssure I put on my back while sleeping, hurts me a lot. Percocet, only allows me to sleep about 1 hour or two, then I awake with back pain from my incision site.

rich

Comment

Hey Rich
                            congratulations..14 days down to 6...boy, you REALLY hate hospitals!!

it is all healing now...the worst is over..some of those complications sound kinda scary..thank goodness for the drugs..help you forget!!

rest, feel better day by day..thoughts & prayers for a return to health, with a new & improved you!

jess

Comment

Hi Rich,

Congratulations on your leap to the other side with us post-oppies.

I am amazed that you are home so soon, especially with the complications. You must be one tough dude. So glad to see you doing so well, and your postings will help a lot of others here!!!

Merry Christmas,
                              Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X