update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• update

WOW! It's been a long time since I have been on here. I'm about 8 months post op and am wondering where the time has gone. The holiday's are upon us and I am trying to figure out how they got here so fast. I suppose being medicated heavily for almost 3 months had something to do with that! Of course factor in spending a 6 days a week at the rink for hockey, life moves pretty fast.

I am happy to announce that while I have had some up's and down's in the beginning, I think I am doing pretty darn good these days. I am on my own with my toddler, npo family help. Not always easy, but I love a challenge.

I was at my surgeon's today for an appointment for stinging around the tops of my rods that wasn't being eased by meds. Obviously, more exrays ensued, but all the hardware is right where he left it! Where was it going to go I wondered lol! He did a cortisone injection and hopefully that will help in a week or so. This pain definitely gets worse with activity such as baby, house cleaning and lifting.

I must say that through these past 8 months still the most deficult thing was being so dependent on my husband for EVERYTHING. I did go through massive anxiety attachs for a period there but they eased once I knew the inevitable was coming.....my Coast Guard husband getting underway and was going to be gone. As military spouces often do, we prevail when we have to. We have no other choice.

I still have some healing pain, but ALL my pre-surgery pain is completey gone. To say that I made the best choice for me is a definte 100% YES! I hope that there aren't to many of you out there that are dealing with your pain thinking that it can't be helped. Was I scared in the beginning? Yes, out of my mind scared actually. Relieved now, sure am :O)

As I relfect back upon this year, half of which I missed, I am so thankful that I have been blessed with an amazing family and an inner strength that I didn't know existed.

Happy holidays to you all and may you pain lessen and your recoveries be quick.....as quick as they can be!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi Susan,
    It's good to hear from you and find out that you are doing so well. It's a long haul, but well worth it. Take care.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

What a good news post! Thanks Susan. I'm so glad things are working out well for you. Lifting your toddler will be the cause of your twinges, I bet! I still get a twinge at the top of my rods when I lift my 16 m.o. grandaughter. I only do it when nobody else is around and like the other day, she got under my computer desk and was about to pull out power cords! Eeeeek!

Life goes on for me too, 9 months out. Every single day I get a thrill from the knowledge that this "thing" is over and I've survived. I too, was terrified of what lay ahead, this time last year. I feel like I've had a second chance at life and I'm so grateful.

I just sent a Christmas email to my surgeon. But words just can't quite describe it, can they?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Susan - I'm glad to hear you are healing well. I live in the same city as you and my Daughter is going to have surgery at CHKD in Feb. with Dr St Claire. I think Dr Fox also works with CHKD and saw my oldest daugther 2 yrs ago.
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Hi Susan,

It's nice to see you back on here, and with great news!!! I too, was heavily medicated for the first 3 months. It's like you know you went through that period, then once it's over, you wonder where the time went. Sounds like you are doing great now!!! Congratulations.

It's a great thing when someone comes back with such good news on their outcome, no matter how long it takes to get to that point.

This is an important thread because it will help many people that are debating what they should do!!!

Keep on posting,
          Shari

Comment

Working...
          X