Entire Thoracic Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entire Thoracic Fusion

Anyone on here been fused throughout your entire thoracic vertebrate?
    My surgery is scheduled February 17, 2010 and I will be fused from C5 to L2. If you have been, do you have any limitations?
    My spine doctor, John Gorup, MD, here in Lafayette, IN, assures me that I will be back to my active self after recovery. I am very hopeful and positive!! Thanks everyone on here for all your wonderful words of encouragement, advice, and knowledge!!

Originally posted by huskymom View Post
    Anyone on here been fused throughout your entire thoracic vertebrate?
    My surgery is scheduled February 17, 2010 and I will be fused from C5 to L2. If you have been, do you have any limitations?
    My spine doctor, John Gorup, MD, here in Lafayette, IN, assures me that I will be back to my active self after recovery. I am very hopeful and positive!! Thanks everyone on here for all your wonderful words of encouragement, advice, and knowledge!!
    Most of the movement is in the lumbar spine so you will probably not notice too much of a flexibilty loss.
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I am fused from T-1 to L-5 if that helps you to compare. I had a rough recovery but I was 45 at the time, in May of 05.

I can still golf, there are things I can't do, and things that I have had to figure out other ways to get the same outcome. Somethings have been a challenge, but that just makes things more interesting!!!

Shari

Comment

Well, luck to have it, I get to have the whole spine done. not sure which levels particularly, but was told "the whole thing" so that's good enough for me. Having lots of pain everyday - all day! I have a lot of muscle spasms in the back, mainly off to the left side where the bulk of my 80+ curve goes out. I mostly feel the spasms in the evenings, which is the bulk of when my pain is - little pain all day, though, but the evenings are the worst. I spend the evening on the heat pad and helps a little bit. July is a long time off yet!!!! Just curious if anyone can tell me if these muscle spasms I'm experiencing are a normal thing???? I'm sure they are - but, reassurance I could sure use here. I have the world's best family so support from them will not be a problem and that makes me feel a lot better.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Spasms

Hi Rita R-
          Regarding the muscle spasms...I have had those with my back and my curves (64 and 56) and my spine doctor referred me to a massage therapist/athletic trainer to work out my muscles and OH MY, how it has helped!!! I have been going to my therapists for a few months and I have not had one, nor have I had the migraines that I used to get.
          I know massage therapy can get expensive, but if your MD will write you a prescription for it, most therapists will give you a 50% discount since most do not accept insurance. I know here in Indiana where I live, most do give discounts so it is more affordable.
          Hope this helps...

Comment

I'm fused T1-L2 and I've definitely lost some flexibility. I have a hard time backing up in my car because I can't turn well to see behind me (both neck and waist can't twist as well as before). I have lost some range of motion with my shoulders as well. I hope this is not the case for you!

Shell
            Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
            2003- 33 degrees
            2005- 37 degrees
            2006- 44 degrees
            May 2007- 47 degrees
            December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
            Fused T1 to L2
            Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment