Do you hide your scar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you hide your scar?

Comments in another thread made me think about this. It's Summer here and it's very hot and most of my tops/dresses have a low back. I am wearing them even though my scar shows and it's not particularly attractive. I am a little old to be telling people I got into a fight with a shark...and won! My only concern would be grossing someone out if they had a weak stomach.

Do you hide your scar?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Hi Jen,
    With all the xmas parties happening, i ,managed to buy maxi dresses that cover mine up, but to be honest, if some of the clothing shows the scar, i'm not fussed. I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma three times, therefore, i have a little scar on the side of my right wrist, a 6cm scar on my right forearm and a 10cm scar across my right shoulder. I think, if you feel ok with, and it doesn't bother you, why not! I think we deserve some bragging rights
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      Comments in another thread made me think about this. It's Summer here and it's very hot and most of my tops/dresses have a low back. I am wearing them even though my scar shows and it's not particularly attractive. I am a little old to be telling people I got into a fight with a shark...and won! My only concern would be grossing someone out if they had a weak stomach.

Do you hide your scar?
      Ha! Ha! Did you get a good laugh from our "shark attack" conversation?

As I said in the other thread, my daughter doesn't hide her scar. It's good that she is comfortable with it showing because at least three inches of the scar sticks out of the top of her shirt, so, unless she wears a collared shirt, she can't really hide all of it. Don't worry about grossing someone out. It's not your fault your scar isn't attractive or that they might have a weak stomach.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Neither of my girls care about the scar showing.

Willow wore a dress at homecoming at 2.5 weeks after her surgery that exposed her back. She didn't care.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 12-14-2009, 06:20 AM.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

My daughter used some scar reducing bandages shortly after she got home from the hospital on the top part of her scar. It did reduce the scar so that it doesn't show when she is dancing. I always let mine show and so does she. If someone was rude enough to comment on my scar, I always said it was where they put in my spine of steel. (my harrington rod is steel not titanium). I don't let scars bother me. I have 2 on my back, and I had 2 c-sections, and other minor surgeries.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I love my scars....I earned them. They're a great conversation starter for people who are curious and/or nosy enough to ask about them.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I absolutely agree with Singer I love my scars, they look cool and I earned them! I have a lot of them (an anterior release scar running round either side, posterior midline scar all the way down from the nape of my neck to an inch above my bum, hip scars from bone graft, plus lots of little scars from laparoscopic surgery and chest drains etc) but they look great. I'm happy to wear a bikini on a beach, no probs.

Comment

I don't have first hand experience, but as far as a spectator is concerned (when you say you don't want to gross them out), I wouldn't worry about it. If my daughter ends up needing surgery, I would tell her to be proud of her scars....people who go through life without scars haven't lived.

My only thought is that your surgery was in March and I have been told by doctors that the best way to reduce the amount of scars long term is to eliminate sun exposure for 1 year following. You are a good 9 months out, but if you have concerns about what the scars will look like long term, you might want to keep them covered up this summer. If you don't care about that aspect, however, wear your comfortable light clothes and wear those "battle scars" with pride!
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

I am proud of my scar. I earned any looks or comments it might bring. And you never know, it may help someone decide whether to have the surgery or not. It is a battle scar, and one I'm proud to have won!
                  Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                  Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                  T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                  Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                  Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                  Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                  Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                  Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                  Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Funny you ask Jen, I wore a top today with a scoop in the front and back. Usually when I wear this top, I wear my hair down, but today I put it up in a pony tail. I looked behind me with a mirror and a few inches of the scar show over the top. I don't care what anyone thinks. I don't go to any lengths to hide it, and if someone gets grossed out, I really don't care.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey hey hey! That shark fight and "I won" bit is mine! Lol I will joke about my scar and use it as conversation starters with girls a the pool or something.

Comment

This is why I love you guys! Thank you!

Comment

Yes JDM! Thanks for the laugh!

Comment

I never see my scars. I forget they are there.

Comment

Jen

The "shark attack" story isn't all that believable unless you dive.Try using "crocodile attack". After all, they are in Australia. Just say he had one tooth. LOL

The story has to fit with the geographical location. Now Tonibunny up in England might have to be extra creative and use something like " I was fencing with James Bond and I ended up with a few small cuts, btw, he lost"

(Are there any predators left in England?) ????

For those in Canada, bear, wolf, or wolverine attack sounds plausible.

I did use the shark attack story but now with all the portals from my shoulder and gall bladder surgeries, I just say that I was out hunting with Dick Cheney.
                              (That's an American joke)

John, Unless you are a diver, the shark attack story wont work. Try using "bear attack at Tahoe". Tell the girls, that you poked him in the eye and barely survived. (try not to laugh) Black bear populations on west shore are increasing quite a bit and I have seen a few recently in Tahoma, Ca. They want McDonalds.

Ed

I whip out my scars whenever possible. LOL Its a ton of fun. You just have to have the right story.
                              Last edited by titaniumed; 12-14-2009, 06:27 PM.
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X