Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and the Dorn Method

Hi everyone,
    I was looking through the net trying to find a local Naturopath about checking out my thyroid situation and came across a Practioner that does this therapy. My curiosity got the best of me, and i have just read through (skimming) their site (The Dorn Method). Anyone heard of this and what are your thoughts? The picture of the patient before and after are very encouraging.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

The Dorn method

That is an interesting post. From looking at the website and the techniques I would say you might also be interested in looking into finding someone who practices SOT.

Or Saccral Occipital Technique. SOT and the Dorn method are fairly similar from what I could see. Finding someone who does SOT will be a lot easier, many people are trained to do it. I would be very surprised if The Dorn Method could match SOT as far as results.

Comment

I have a neighbour who practices Saccral Occipital Technique. I know nothing about it. She has a sign out the front of her house, is how I know. But a friend of mine in England regularly has Cranial Release therapy. Though she's just had scoli surgery so whether she'll continue or not I don't know. But she did say it helped her feel in tip top health. I don't know if it's the same thing as the SOT or Dorn method.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

sounds line a massage/chiropractic combo

I have never heard of this method, but here is what I just read about it:

throughout Europe the technique has been the #1 therapy for pains and aches practiced by doctors and therapists for over 30 years.
        Based on knowledge of anatomy and the laws of physics, focused, with precise hand positions, a dynamic new technique, specific, effective, and with unrivaled lasting ability, the Dorn Method creates a category of it’s own. Impossible to compare, unmatched by other techniques, unlike any other modality in delivery style, precision, and effectiveness.
        And when we think we said all that could be said about the Dorn Method that describes it’s vast differences, we introduce the Breuss massage. Developed by an Austrian doctor, the technique is unique, surprising, unusually warm, with deeply relaxing effects that melt away tension in the muscles under the therapist’s hands.

To me it does not sound like it could POSSIBLY help scoliosis (other than to help with muscle comfort), nor does this site make it sound like it is meant for that--rather it lists it as helpful for aches and pains. It sounds like a rather glorified massage with perhaps some elements of chiropractic.

Just my 2 cents--which I would not spend on the Dorn method.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I find the following articles on the Chirobase website to be quite worrying:

Why Craniosacral Therapy Is Silly (written by an MD)

Bonesetting, Chiropractic, and Cultism Chapter 11: Chiropractic "Technique Wars" - Sacro-Occipital Technique (written by a DC)

Comment

This stuff is a religion, not medicine, not science.

Most of chiro is a religion as no two chiros can point to the same spot on a radiographs as to where the "subluxation" is located.

They "know" it but can never "show" it. Religion.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

CST is about as effective as Raindrop Therapy ... and just another rip-off.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
              X