Four Months Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Months Out

So my surgery was on 8/11 - T-10 to S-1. I feel as though I'm doing amazingly well. I started physical therapy about a month ago and my back is stronger and I definitely have more flexibility. I can tie my shoes and put pants on now with no problem. Today for the first time I was able to walk the dogs - I hadn't been able to because I couldn't stoop down to reach the ground - I'm having a hard time with my knees. But I can actually bend far enough now so I can scoop the dog poop!

I am in virtually no pain except for an occasional pang when I bend a certain way. I'm off all medication. I drove with my family five hours last weekend to Las Vegas (and back three days later) and was totally fine, albeit a bit stiff.

All in all I am really happy with the results. I am going to resume swimming this weekend - I'll report on that. I've gained 10 pounds - everyone says this is nothing but I'm small (5'3" ) so going from 120 to 130 pounds is significant on me. I'm determined after Christmas to get into a diet/fitness routine.

I hope others of you will feel hopeful after reading about my positive outcome.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Hi Zoee,

Congratulations to you. It is nice to hear that you are doing so well so soon and can get back to doing the things you love to do. You are now the new gold standard.

Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Way to go Zoee,

It's always go to see someone doing well so soon after surgery!!!

Keep up the good progress.

Merry Christmas,
      Shari

Comment

I just love hearing of all these success stories!!!!!!!
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi Zoee

Your message made my day! Thank you ever so much for sharing your progress. I had my surgery (T10-S1) at the end of August so I am a step behind you in the recovery path. I just got off my pain meds, am walking better every day, but cannot yet put on tie shoes or pick up the dog poop. My surgeon has not recommended PT yet, but I'm seeing him this Friday so I'll bring it up.

Again, thanks for your inspiration and please keep letting us folks behind you know how you are doing.

Karen
          Karen, 66 years "young"
          Polio at 6
          Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
          Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
          Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
          Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
          Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Three surgeries in one week:
          8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
          8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
          9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Working...
          X