visiting Dr Anand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visiting Dr Anand

I just scheduled an appointment with Dr. Anand for Wednesday, January 27th. He does not take my insurance, so i will pay out of pocket. I am curious as to what he thinks is possible with my lumbar curve (my thoracic curve does not worry me nor cause me much pain).

So we shall see what we shall see. I will fly out from east coast to CA that week. Maybe a little mini vacation...except that is CA's rainy time....oh well, it's got to be warmer than new england!!

jess

Jess

It seems like a long way to go for another opinion, especially when you have some of the best surgeons in New York.

Could you e-mail x-rays out to him? That would save the trip to LA

A vacation in LA wouldn't be at the top of my list......but then again, I live out west.

Walking tour of Secaucus, New Jersey? LOL (That's from an old Candid camera show from the 60s)

Logistics of a surgery 3000 miles away could get complicated. Insurance out of state gets complicated. If you have a surgery, it will not be cheap.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed
      am going to Dr Anand in CA because he is claiming to do a different kind of minimally invasive...all previous surgeons have said that i dont qualify for minimally invasive...i need to see him in person to satisfy my curiosity as to what he does that is so different....

he doesnt take my insurance...it is a consult to see if he can do something that others dont yet do....after that, maybe i can find someone who does take my insurance to do what he does...or maybe i will go ask those excellent nyc scoli surgeons why they DONT recommend his methods for me....

and...i like CA..love southern Ca...so i will take a chance on their rainy season...i live in new england...you know what those winters are like, dont you....waaaaay toooo cold!!

sorry i didnt respond sooner...i have wicked bronchitis...it is knocking me out!

take care, be well
      jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM.

Comment

It'll be interesting to hear what Dr. Anand has to say, and how you find him, Jess. I hope you can give yourself a mini holiday while you're there.

The way I look at it, those of us who've had spinal fusion with instrumentation have benefited greatly from improved techniques and skills over the years and I have to wonder what the next "big thing" will be. I hope for those following, it will be minimally invasive.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks, Jen...i hope he has good things to say...i dont think i have anything to lose..except some money for the doctor, i guess...wont be the first out of pocket doctor i have consulted with! i have a few friends to go & see, so it should be a nice trip. i will report back on whatever methods he talks about....

be well
          jess
          Last edited by jrnyc; 12-09-2009, 03:32 AM.

Comment

P.S. to Ed...Happy Birthday to you..are you going to be 51, the new 31?
            i hope you celebrate royally!

jess

Comment

Jess

Yes. 51 the new 31 is correct. I will change my sig on Friday. I might go skiing at Diamond peak in Incline village as its free on your b-day. There is one problem, its -10F outside right now, and I'm afraid that something will freeze, break and fall off. That wouldn't be good. Denny's is also free on your b-day, so yes, it looks like I will be "celebrating royally". LOL

I guess if you have friends to visit in LA then its not so bad. I did look through Dr Arnands website last month when he posted.

Its hard to say if an un-trained surgeon would recommend a procedure that he knows little about. Chances are, the answer would be no.
              If that's the case, then waiting would be the best route.

People are usually hesitant when new ideas surface.....

Orville Wright probably told Wilber, "I'm not flying that damn thing, I just build bicycles for a living.You fly, I will watch".
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed
                yeah, CA is always nice...even their rain would be better than new england snow..which we are getting plenty of today!

denny's, huh....well, sometimes you just gotta splurge

jess

Comment

One year older eh? Well look on the bright side Ed, you're not looking down the barrel of menopause.

So thank your lucky stars! Happy Birthday!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

jrnyc, I think you are doing the right thing by visiting Dr Anand in LA. I've been reading a lot about his surgery and its looks very promising. If LA turns out to be a little too far for you there is another doctor in Chicago performing this surgery. His name is Fessler and he is the chief of neurosurgery at Northwestern University. Its my understanding the Fessler and Anand are working with Medtronic on this new surgical procedure. I have an appointment with Dr Fessler on January 20th.

Comment

jess, I was hoping that I would get a chance to see him in the hospital. Dr. Anand operates at Ceda Sinai and would see his picture posted around the nurses station. They had all the Doctor's pictures posted that perform spine surgery. I am still interested in hearing what he can do for you. I am happy with my results right now. Dr. Kropf was great and the best part was his bedside manners. He called me at home almost everyday a week prior to my surgery.

rich

Comment

Hi Rich
                        i will let you know after i see him..jan 27th...he does not take my insurance....thought maybe an east coast doctor could duplicate...but i know doctors like what they are used to...really am curious as to what he thinks is possible for a lady like me who needs fusion to pelvis...congratulations on NOT needing that!!

feel better soon
                        jess

Comment

Jess, I was relieved when I heard that I didn't need the s-1 fused, but I the doctor said that it could worse in the future. The disc could degenerate at a quicker rate, he said, "could". But the doctor did say that a majority of disc were completely gone and were fused.

rich

Comment

hope you never need it...me, i cant get away without it...

jess

Comment

Working...
                            X