Falling on ice. . .I'm such a chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling on ice. . .I'm such a chicken

I live in northern IL. . .about a mile south of the WI border. Our snow-and-ice season (which lasts until March, or even April) is supposed to start tomorrow (forcast is for a foot of snow.)

I am 3 1/2 months post-op, and I really don't look forward to sliding across a parking lot and falling on my a*s. Rational or not, I still feel vulnerable. Today I got my disabled parking tag, which I plan to use ONLY when confronted with an icy parking lot. My husband thinks I'm overreacting. What do you think?
    Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
    Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
    Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

I'm from WI...and yepper...have the same fears. Today was absolutely treacherous in my work parking lot. I just applied this afternoon for a temporary one...can't afford messing this surgery up any more than it is. My hubby thinks I'm UNDER-REACTING presently

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I don't think you're over-reacting, mgs! 3.5 months post op is still very early and it would be horrific to undo all that work with a fall. Take very good care!

How are you Colleen? Haven't seen you here in a while!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I think you should do whatever you think needs to be done
        45L/40T
        Surgery 25/1/2010
        Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

I am from Il and still worry about falling on the ice and am 9 months post op! There is reason to be concerned as a fall could be devastating!

I used to wear my heals walking into work/out from work every day. This winter, I'm wearing flat, comfortable boots and taking no chances!

Rach~

Comment

I was having coffee with a friend of mine, whom had her spinal fusion last year at the end of August (not scoli related) and both of us cited falling as our biggest fear. At three months post-op she traqvelled to the US for her sons wedding and all she kept telling us was how scared she was in case she fell on the ice. So, no mgs, i don't think your overreacting, cause if that was me living in the US, i probably would have applied for one before the surgery!
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I live in your neck of the woods. And I absolutely do not think you are overreacting. I still get nervous when I see wet pavement. I was fortunate when I returned to work a year ago that I had access to my employer’s underground parking garage. One thing you might want to get for yourself is a pair of traction protectors that you can slip on to a pair of shoes or boots. I keep a pair of boots with these on in my garage and use them during the winter season whenever I have to go down my driveway to throw out garbage or pick up mail. They really do work and protect you from slipping on the ice.

Comment

I was just going to post about Yak Tracks--that fit onto shoes/boots. My husband insists I get some. Probably about the same as what you were talking about, Chris. I am 8 months and falling is a super concern--my husband is even more concerned. He doesn't want to go through all this again! So...I totally understand. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Just saw the term in print after I wrote last post. It's YaxTrax--designed to be used on regular shoes kind of like chains on tires they are actually coils. I guess they work really well. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    I don't think you're over-reacting, mgs! 3.5 months post op is still very early and it would be horrific to undo all that work with a fall. Take very good care!

How are you Colleen? Haven't seen you here in a while!
                    Naw...I tried to avoid the board for a while to get my mind off the back. I went back to work for a while then ended up regressing to the point I had to be off again...now I'm back for a second go around. I don't see things improving much...dr. basically doesn't know what to tell me. Rods are kind of protruding which I find totally gross (plus I can feel my rods...never felt my Harrington!) My hubby says he really wants me back again and better...I start with pain mgmt dr in January (if it's not too bad of weather). Thanks for asking and noticing Hope you are doing well, Jennifer! Actually I hope everyone is doing well...tis the season to be jolly

Always Smilin'
                    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                    right thoracic 57
                    lower lumbar 34

Comment

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Colleen. I bet your husband isn't the only one who wants you back and well. I suppose you've been through all the tests? Or will pain management do those?

Perhaps 2010 will be your year. Please let us know how you go with Pain Management. I really hope you have better news soon. *hugs*
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

you are not chicken or over-reacting at all; especially where you live! You should do all that you can to avoid falling. I know some people fall and are just fine, but why take the chance? You are not fused yet. Last year, my first winter post-op, I definitely used my handicapped parking tag (good thru March) whenever there was ice in parking lots. That's why they give it to us. Walking distances never bothered me (heck I was walking 3 miles within a month or 2 for exercise), but ice did scare me, because it's so easy to slip.

I remember about 5 years ago, I came out of my garage, and the gutter above had been clogged so water dripped down. I landed on my butt so fast I couldn't even try to stop myself. That time I just sprained a wrist.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jennifer-
                          Surgeon didn't do any tests...said there wasn't much point as there was nothing that could be done at this point. The x-rays didn't show anything and he didn't want me to do a CT or MRI. So, life is what it is. One's gotta make the best of it. I'm not thrilled with where I'm at because I'm much worse off than before surgery...either time will heal or it won't. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

? re: handicapped sticker: my primary signed for me to get one, I mailed it yesterday, I know how DOT works...do I need to wait until the sticker arrives? The weather is so horrible right now I'm terrified to walk outside. My son was laughing at the way I was walking today (at least we got a chuckle Does anyone know? I have the copy of the application I sent in.

Always Smilin'
                          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                          right thoracic 57
                          lower lumbar 34

Comment

Your fears are NOT irrational. Because of your fusion, your spine absorbs shock differently now. I lived near Lake Ontario for many years and dealt with lake effect snow. No matter what the weather, I am always careful where I walk. Slips on the ice are painful - especially for the back muscles. I have learned to roll onto my side when I fall. It hurts less that way.
                            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Dear mgs
                              no, you are not over reacting AT ALL!

i have not had surgery...yet...have an upper of 40 degrees & lower of 61...am terrified of slipping on the ice...always have been..this is why i could not enjoy roller blading lessons...it was a nitemare on roller blades...felt like walking on ice & i couldnt get the stupid skates off fast enuf! never tried it again!! & that was before my back was as bad as it is now! i always walked on snow as if i was 90 years old...always!

i have a handicapped parking sign that hangs on my car mirror...got it cause i have trouble walking now...i got really bad after i herniated discs...had no trouble getting a life time one from DOT....so please do not feel that you must limit your use of the handicapped parking...you need it, you use it...that simple!!

even when i lived in manhattan, i was scared of ice...took cabs everywhere...& in manhattan, the snow doesnt last too long on the street due to foot traffic....now i am in CT...we get more snow & it lasts longer...i walk like i am tip toeing!

take care
                              jess

Comment

Working...
                              X