Tomorrow-December 7th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomorrow-December 7th

I just wanted to share with everyone that tomorrow, December 7th, Jamie will be 5 years post-op! The time has flown by. She and I were talking the other day and the date 12/7 was mentioned and I asked her if she realized she would be 5 years post-op on that day? She said, "really?!" She went on to say that she doesn't even think about her back anymore unless she is giving a speech on Scoliosis.

There will be no celebration tomorrow. We celebrate life everyday and have moved on from her days of dealing with Kyphoscoliosis. I am thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on this forum. I would not have made it this far without you.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Congrats on the five year mark!!

Funny, someone else was just saying how it takes a few years to "recover" in the sense of not thinking about one's spine anymore and moving on with one's life. I'm glad that your family has moved on, but glad that you have chosen to stick around to help others
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Congratulations on that!

That's a good milestone. But as you say, these milestones will fade in importance and these kids move on in life.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

It is so great to hear that Jamie didn't even realize it was the date of her surgery and that she has moved on so well. Congratulations and thanks for staying on the forum and being helpful to so many people.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. It's nice to know that you don't mind me sticking around.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I would like to thank you and all who have stayed on to help people like me who need to hear life is back to normal and we too will someday say those words. From this side of surgery it doesn't always feel that way. It's only from reading through the supportive threads here that I have hope for normal again.

Thank you and everyone else who has stayed to share the wisdom of experience.

Dee
            Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
            Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
            Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Congratulations to Jamie and your family! And thanks for the great support you've given on this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                I am thankful for all the wonderful friends I have made on this forum.
                Mary Lou
                I couldn't agree more!! Thanks MaryLou, my friend!!!

Hard to believe our Jamie's our past the five year mark!!

p

Comment

Wow! 5 years post op! I remember you fondly MaryLou! Thats when I first started looking at the forum... Now 5 years later here I am with Skye having surgery on Wednesday. I am so happy all is well for your Dtr. I am trusting and believing I will have the same testimony for my Pooks! I had a different handle on the forum back then but it was my business name and when searched on google the forum post would come up (didnt think that was good for all us moms on here as we get pretty open about our locations and kids names etc so Joe helped me delete the acct.

Anyway it is nice to hear your Dtr is giving speaches about Scoliosis. Way to turn a negative into a positive! Kudos!!

Comment

Hey Congrats on the 5-year anniversary! That's BIG!!! We can all hope to be in those shoes someday - - - - can you elaborate on your daughter's speaking about scoliosis? I'm interested.

Thanks.
                    Rita Thompson
                    Age 46
                    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by pat View Post
                      I couldn't agree more!! Thanks MaryLou, my friend!!!

Hard to believe our Jamie's our past the five year mark!!

p
                      Hi Pat! I've missed you. And, no, I CANNOT believe our Jamies are 5 years out from surgery or that they are 18 y.o.!

Mary Lou

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                        Hey Congrats on the 5-year anniversary! That's BIG!!! We can all hope to be in those shoes someday - - - - can you elaborate on your daughter's speaking about scoliosis? I'm interested.

Thanks.
                        Jamie and I run a Scoliosis support group at our local children's hospital and she always shares her experience with everyone in the group. More than once a nurse has passed our meeting and asked Jamie to go upstairs with her to talk to children who have just had their surgery and were still in the hospital.

Jamie has done too many reports to count in middle school, high school and now in college. She talks wherever and whenever the opportunity arises.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                        X