PDA

View Full Version : Why do they fuse instead of disc replacement?

rich1752
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I was just wondering, why they fuse the spine instead of inserting an artificial disc? While sitting in the waiting room, I saw that my doctor had examples of artificial disc on his table. I forgot to ask him that question, when he recommended a fusion, he must have a good reason, but just curious..

rich

jrnyc
12-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Dear Rich
i was told that it wouldnt be enuf support or be strong enuf for a curved spine...that fusion is the only way until such time as science comes up with a better way...i asked why rods cant be bendable...same response...no support....not strong enuf...wouldnt hold you up...etc...

i am sure someone on forum can give you a more scientific explaination, but i believe it comes down to the same bottom line...

jess

LindaRacine
12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Rich...

I doubt that artificial discs would work in a scoliotic spine, because the load would be so asymmetrical. In general, the spine has to be fused so that it doesn't continue to curve.

Regards,
Linda

Vali
12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm going from memory here, but i think my surgeon said i needed those levels (L4/5-L5/S1) fused for the anchoring of my hardware.

Linda, does this sound right?

dolores a
12-04-2009, 08:26 PM
i asked why rods cant be bendable...same response...no support....not strong enuf...wouldnt hold you up...etc...jess

Sounds like a great idea though! Someday maybe...