Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do they fuse instead of disc replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do they fuse instead of disc replacement?

I was just wondering, why they fuse the spine instead of inserting an artificial disc? While sitting in the waiting room, I saw that my doctor had examples of artificial disc on his table. I forgot to ask him that question, when he recommended a fusion, he must have a good reason, but just curious..

rich

Dear Rich
    i was told that it wouldnt be enuf support or be strong enuf for a curved spine...that fusion is the only way until such time as science comes up with a better way...i asked why rods cant be bendable...same response...no support....not strong enuf...wouldnt hold you up...etc...

i am sure someone on forum can give you a more scientific explaination, but i believe it comes down to the same bottom line...

jess

Comment

Hi Rich...

I doubt that artificial discs would work in a scoliotic spine, because the load would be so asymmetrical. In general, the spine has to be fused so that it doesn't continue to curve.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm going from memory here, but i think my surgeon said i needed those levels (L4/5-L5/S1) fused for the anchoring of my hardware.

Linda, does this sound right?
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          i asked why rods cant be bendable...same response...no support....not strong enuf...wouldnt hold you up...etc...jess
          Sounds like a great idea though! Someday maybe...
          Dolores A
          June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
          June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
          Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
          NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Working...
          X