PDA

View Full Version : Happy Belated Birthday Linda R.

Shari
12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Happy Birthday Linda,

Hope you had a good one, you deserve it. One of my sister's is the same day.

I hope you know how much you are respected and appreciated here on this great, safe and comforting "second home"!!!

Best Wishes,
Shari

jrnyc
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I'd like to second that "happy birthday" to you, Linda...with many thanks for all you do for this forum & all who write to it....hope you celebrated royally...

jess

JenniferG
12-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Happy Birthday Linda. And thanks for all the excellent advice and information you impart to us on this forum, which is invaluable.

Pooka1
12-04-2009, 05:19 AM
I, too, want to wish you a Happy Birthday, Linda!

Hope you had a great day.

sharon

debbei
12-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I hope you had a great birthday Linda. :)

LindaRacine
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks very much everyone.

I gave myself a great gift this year. On my birthday, I was offered, and accepted, the position of Staff Research Associate at the UCSF Orthopaedic Spine center. The change in career will require a vow of poverty, but I feel like the passion I have for the job will offset the big decrease in pay. I'll start sometime in January, and will specifically be working on the Spinal Deformity Study Group outcome studies.

--Linda

Ballet Mom
12-04-2009, 10:58 AM
That's great news Linda! Congratulations! Will you be working on analyses for surgical outcomes of different procedures, or other things, such as bracing outcomes, as well?

Happy late birthday also :)

Doodles
12-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Linda--
That is quite a gift. Congrats on new position and being able to give us more outstanding information. Happy Birthday too! Janet

JenniferG
12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
That position is perfect for you Linda. I hope it brings you many years of satisfaction.

Pooka1
12-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Linda congratulations!

I think you bring so much knowledge to the table and will contribute much to the effort.

LindaRacine
12-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone...

BalletMom, I'll be working on the Spinal Deformity Study Group, which is a multi-center, multi-national, umbrella for many ongoing studies. If you do a PubMed search, you can see some of the research that has already been published. The main focus at UCSF is on Adult Deformity Outcomes, both surgical and non-surgical. However, I believe I'll also be trying to work with the pediatric deformity group to get kids enrolled (which would, obviously, include bracing).

Regards,
Linda

debbei
12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
What a perfect job for you Linda. Being happy with your job is such a blessing.

Vali
12-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Happy Birthday, i hope you had a great day. Congratulations on your new postion. Will you still be moderating this forum? I haven't been here long, but commenced reading this site back in January. Your knowledge and helpful advice is second to none in my opinion and for this i thank you. Once again best wishes.

loves to skate
12-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks very much everyone.

I gave myself a great gift this year. On my birthday, I was offered, and accepted, the position of Staff Research Associate at the UCSF Orthopaedic Spine center. The change in career will require a vow of poverty, but I feel like the passion I have for the job will offset the big decrease in pay. I'll start sometime in January, and will specifically be working on the Spinal Deformity Study Group outcome studies.

--Linda

Congratulations Linda. The job sounds very interesting and is obviously right up your alley. Why the pay decrease? Is it because it's a research job? Once they find out that they can't get along without you, maybe they will give you a bonus.:rolleyes: I guess you won't be holding your breath.:D
I worked in medical all of my life and it was a vow of poverty, but was very rewarding. I always said I was volunteering my time.

Happy belated birthday.

Sally

LindaRacine
12-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Happy Birthday, i hope you had a great day. Congratulations on your new postion. Will you still be moderating this forum? I haven't been here long, but commenced reading this site back in January. Your knowledge and helpful advice is second to none in my opinion and for this i thank you. Once again best wishes.

Yes, I intend to continue moderating. Thanks!

LindaRacine
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Congratulations Linda. The job sounds very interesting and is obviously right up your alley. Why the pay decrease? Is it because it's a research job? Once they find out that they can't get along without you, maybe they will give you a bonus.:rolleyes: I guess you won't be holding your breath.:D
I worked in medical all of my life and it was a vow of poverty, but was very rewarding. I always said I was volunteering my time.

Happy belated birthday.

Sally
Thanks Sally... I've been in the marketing field for a long time, and have been blessed with positions that mostly pay a lot. Funny that you should say that about volunteering... when I accepted, I told Dr. Hu that I was going to be a paid volunteer. :) I just decided that job satisfaction was a lot more important than being wealthy.

--Linda

laurieg6
12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm glad you got such a great birthday present, Linda. Happy birthday and best wishes for a wonderful year.

jrnyc
12-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Dear Linda
i am sure you know by now...there is nothing more rewarding than working in a field that you are passionate about...
"find a job that you love & you'll never have to work a day in your life"

that is how i felt about being a social worker, & before that, a special ed teacher...teachers in nyc public schools can work their way up to a good salary now...after 25 years and a graduate degree or 2, of course...not so when i first started teaching there, though....of course, no one wants to pay social workers much $$...some think we are still all nuns! :rolleyes:

i know the job will be rewarding...i hope they come to realize that monetary reward (:)) is nice, too...

congratulations...all at forum can see how lucky they will be to have you on board!!

jess

joyfull
12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Linda, We are so fortunate to have you providing us with clear, unbiased information - so hard to come by! Thanks for all you do. May your birthday mark the beginning of a wonderful year. Joy

titaniumed
12-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Linda

Some of us guys are terrible at things like remembering birthdays. I know, its a lousy excuse. anyway H-bday! You can hit me later, what's a little pain? I'm used to it. LOL

It sounds like the position over at UCSF will be really neat, and you are the perfect individual for the position. Just working with all those great "cutting edge" surgeons, (pun?) will be a fantastic experience. Years ago, UCSF was on my radar screen.....

If you can get a chance to hang on the sidelines of a heavy surgery, that would be an experience.....

Thanks for moderating this forum. Having the knowledge, and then making that judgment call takes talent. Its much easier to communicate with people in person versus doing it "online". I appreciate you bailing me out, when I screw up.

Ed

LindaRacine
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Linda

Some of us guys are terrible at things like remembering birthdays. I know, its a lousy excuse. anyway H-bday! You can hit me later, what's a little pain? I'm used to it. LOL

It sounds like the position over at UCSF will be really neat, and you are the perfect individual for the position. Just working with all those great "cutting edge" surgeons, (pun?) will be a fantastic experience. Years ago, UCSF was on my radar screen.....

If you can get a chance to hang on the sidelines of a heavy surgery, that would be an experience.....

Thanks for moderating this forum. Having the knowledge, and then making that judgment call takes talent. Its much easier to communicate with people in person versus doing it "online". I appreciate you bailing me out, when I screw up.

Ed

Ed...

I think it would be beneficial to memorize my birthday. You never know when it might pop up on a quiz. ;-) I barely remember it, so I don't really expect anyone else to do so.

I've actually seen several scoliosis surgeries in the past, including the revision surgery (with osteotomy) of a friend. I could probably see a scoliosis surgery any time I wanted to, but I found it very difficult to stand still for the required amount of time. I've always been placed at the patient's head, with the anesthesiologist to my left. There's about a 2 square foot area in which to stand. My spine just doesn't like standing in one position for more than about 5 minutes. The one thing I haven't seen live is an anterior surgery. I'd love to do that, but I suspect it's next to impossible to see anything unless one is right on top of the patient.

--Linda

jrnyc
12-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Wow, Linda..you must have a really strong stomach!! i could never watch anything so....gory....:eek:

jess

LindaRacine
12-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow, Linda..you must have a really strong stomach!! i could never watch anything so....gory....:eek:

jess

I had seen several video surgeries before seeing a live one, and I think that was helpful. With that said, I still always feel a little queezy when the first incision is made.

--Linda

CHRIS WBS
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Congratulations, Linda, and best wishes for a rewarding career. And a big THANK YOU for all you do here on the forum.:) Chris

Singer
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I just stumbled onto this thread..Linda, I think your new job sounds fabulous. You never know where your experiences will take you. Congratulations!