Is it okay to rake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to rake?

I've been almost ridiculously cautious with my fusion, but yesterday I went outside and raked for about 20 minutes. I was really careful about not twisting, but it's almost impossible not to twist a little. I really felt it afterwards in my back and stomach muscles (which I didn't worry about) and also had the weird sensation that my muscles were actually pulling at the hardware (which concerned me a little).

I have been gradually doing more and more light yard work this year, but I don't want to push it. It's the twisting issue I'm most wary of....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi Chris...

I'm thinking that your fusion should be solid by now, so you should be able to do anything and not harm it. With that said, when you haven't used the muscles that do any task for several years, you're bound to be really sore afterward.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Chris,

I agree with Linda. We have tons of leaves here in the fall and also in the spring. For some reason Oak leaves like to hang on over the winter unless the wind blows them down. Anyway, I did some raking and started with only 10 minutes the first time, then slowly increased until the end when I was raking for an hour plus. I didn't have too much pain doing it that way and because I am retired, I can take my time doing it. Its great to be outside in the crisp air. Enjoy the outdoors when you can; winter is coming. Just don't slip on the leaves if they are on a hill like I did. I was sore for a week or so, but no damage to my fusion.

Take care, Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
        I've been almost ridiculously cautious with my fusion, but yesterday I went outside and raked for about 20 minutes. I was really careful about not twisting, but it's almost impossible not to twist a little. I really felt it afterwards in my back and stomach muscles (which I didn't worry about) and also had the weird sensation that my muscles were actually pulling at the hardware (which concerned me a little).

I have been gradually doing more and more light yard work this year, but I don't want to push it. It's the twisting issue I'm most wary of....
        Chris,
        I was never a fan of raking (after all what are teenage boys and a leaf-blower for?) and I'm not starting now. However, I do know what you mean about that 'feeling' that the muscles are pulling incorrectly on the hardware. Sometimes I'll move a certain way or do something strange and I get that feeling. It's not a hurt kind of feeling, but more 'wierd and uncomfortable' and I want to stop whatever it is I'm doing right away.

Maybe that will pass in time.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Chris,

When I started feeling well enough to do things that I hadn't done in a long time, I would always over do it. Then I would suffer for a few days. It took a while for it to sink in to my stubborn, bull head, that I should just do a little at a time.

It just takes time, this summer I felt invincible and got stupid. I got tossed out of a backhoe bucket, flew about 5 feet in the air down a hill. I landed on my side got up and felt fine. 2 days later it started to hit me with pain. I got scared to death after about 3 weeks of pain. I just got stoved up and will never ever do that again.

We live and learn,
          Shari

Comment

Thanks all ...

I will continue raking a little at a time. I can totally handle sore muscles as long as my hardware is safe.

We actually paid someone to do our leaves but then the neighbors' leaves blew into our yard during one of the many rainstorms we've had lately.

But I won't be flying out of a backhoe bucket anytime soon (Shari!!!!!) !!!
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Chris,

Always knew you were smarter than I was.

Luv Ya,
              Shari

Comment

Shari, I have to ask ...

What in the world were you *doing* in a backhoe bucket?!?
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Singer, I wonder if we all will always feel the muscles going over the rods, I certainly feel them at 6 months, but I was wondering if that feeling gradually goes away?

Shari you made me have a good laugh this morning! I work at a union apprenticeship program for heavy equipment operators, so it's not unusual that a women would be learning to operate, but usually she is in the cab, not in the bucket!
                  Dolores A
                  June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                  June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                  Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                  NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Raking!

I just had my fusion-- T2-S1, June 29th & July 3rd OF THIS YEAR!!! Last weekend I raked my entire yard!

I'm immensely proud & didn't even think of the possible bad things that could happen.. nothing did.. you just have to be careful how you do it.. use your arms, not your back. Takes a little longer, shorter strokes, but you can do it!

I agree with the others though, you should be bout fused & good to go.

(Small woot woot for me for raking! I am so proud! I hung CHRISTMAS LIGHTS outside too!! AHhh!)
                    Surgery 6/29 and 7/3 of 2009~ 17 hours worth
                    7 blood transfusions (3 were my own)
                    26 years old at time of surgery, diagnosed at 12 -
                    TLSO brace did NOTHING for me after 3 yrs wearing it...
                    other than cause embarassment & torture

Before Surgery:
                    Thoracic Curve: 68 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 89 degrees

After Surgery:
                    Thoracic Curve: 32 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 25 degrees

<3 Nikki

My surgery experience album:
                    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737

Comment

Working...