having trouble standing up straight post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having trouble standing up straight post-op

Does anyone have trouble standing up straight up after surgery? I find myself wanting to lean forward or bend my knees. When I try to force myself upright my low back hurts and my back just doesn't go. I am just over 3 months post-op and go to my MD tomorrow. I also found a rib pops on my right side where he did the arthroplasty to get rid of the rib hump. Turning over in bed and sleeping in general is still tough. But my pre-op issues are gone and I am thankful for that.

Any advice is welcome!
    Kristi
    diagnosed at puberty
    at surgery throacic curve 75
    lumbar curve 70
    posterior T3-L5 fusion with arthroplasty by Dr Jeong Tucson AZ (awesome)
    post-op will find out tomorrow but it looked pretty good initally

Hi Kristi...

Getting the proper amount of lordosis during a long fusion is a real art. Your surgeon may put you in a brace, to see if that corrects the problem. Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

update for my question. I went to my MD and he said it was muscle tightness specificallly the hip flexor from walker and fetal position sleeping. I have started stretching my hip flexors and quads and it hurts but noticed I could stand up straighter.
      my post op curves: 18/9!

Comment

Kristi,
        I had the same problem from the day I had surgery. My surgeon told me the same thing, but I eventually had to go to a diff surgeon for a 2nd opinion because I was never able to stand up straight even 1 1/2 yr later. It ended up being diagnosed as a sagittal imbalance. Good luck, I hope you are doing well :-)
        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
        X