Extreme Surgery Show on T.V.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme Surgery Show on T.V.

Did anyone see last night on discovery channel they had a show called extreme surgery and they preformed two scoliosis surgeries on two little girls. One girl i think was only about 6 and the other girl i think was 11. I think it was performed at Atlanta Children's Hospital and i forget the drs. name it will come to me later i'm sure. They showed the whole surgery. I think i am more nervous now, because all the surgeon kept talking about was if they do this wrong you can be paralysed. It is scary.
    jennifer

Hi Jennifer...

I saw it as well.

While there certainly is a risk of neurologic injury, I think they tried to make it seem more risky to make for better television. The young girl had growing rods, which I believe have more of a risk than regular rods because the spinal cord is stretched at regular intervals.

To ease your mind, you might want to ask your surgeon to talk about his/her complication rates.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi
      do u know if that program is going to be shown in the UK?
      Thanks love Julesxxxxxx
      15 with a 50 degree curve
      Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

You can check out the Discovery.com webpage. They may have a schedule of when the show will be re-broadcast.

The orthopedic surgeon was Dr. Richard McCarthy in Little Rock Arkansas.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

extreme surgery show on t.v.

Linda,
          That makes sense, i think they may have been doing that to make for better t.v. Like i said in a previous post, we are using Dr. Boachie and i think he has a very good sucess rate. I think we're in good hands.

Jennifer

Jules,
          I don't know anything about if they will be airing it in the UK, sorry
          jennifer

Carmell,
          That's right, that was his name. Did you see it??
          Last edited by jc3; 09-27-2004, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Yep, I did see the programs. Two of them. Braydon watched with me. I think it was theraputic for him to SEE something similar to what he's been through. He didn't say much during the programs, but we talked a little about he hospital experiences, in general. I've got my opinions about what I saw. Hopefully most of the program was drama for TV purposes.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Can someome please tell me if that show will air again???I tried to check out discovery.com but was unsucessful...can someone help. i would love to see that surgery.
              CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
              fused T4 -L3
              Hip graft
              Grown 1 1/2 inches
              25/o upper T 15/o
              53/o T 15/o
              37/o L 6/o
              Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
              New York City

August 6, 2004
              Pulmonary Embolism
              complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
              increasing pain at the T4/5
              point irratation heardwear

Comment

extreme surgery show on t.v

hi carmell,
                just wondering ,you said you have your opinions on what you saw i'd love to hear what you think, if you don't want to post it could you send me a private message or email me jc3palm@aol.

thanks
                jennifer

Comment

extreme surgery show on t.v

connie
                  if you're really interested in finding out about the show i would go on their website and on the homepage at the bottom it says contact us. I would write them and ask them if it is going to be aired again. I don't know how to put the link in here or else i would have. I went on the site and tried to look around for the show, but couldn't find any info on it. It may be on again because when i went to watch it the other night i was busy and couldn't watch it so i tried to tape it and for some reason the tape didn't work. I was so mad and i put the channel back on and it just so happened they replayed it again.
                  good luck,
                  jennifer

Comment

I too went to the website to find out when the show will be aired again. I didn't have any luck. I did however, send an e-mail asking when they would air the show again and also where I might be able to purchase a copy of the show. The website stated that it might be up to a week before I hear from them. I'll let you know what I find out. Maybe if enough of us e-mail them and ask to have the show rebroadcast, they'll air it again for us.

Comment

TV Show

Hi
                      I have just been on the discovery website and have found a program called ashley's spinal surgery that will be on at 6.30 Am on the 1st october, Im not sure if this is the same program as you saw but it is on discovery health so I may have a look at it
                      hope that helps anyone
                      love Julesxxxx
                      15 with a 50 degree curve
                      Had surgery now have 2 metal rods in my back

Comment

My friend said she watched it and came up to me and said "I saw your type of surgery last night on tv". I told my mom and now she is TIVO-ing it. . My friend said that it was really bloody (well of course but i wanted to know because I ended up getting a blood transfusion).
                        Surgery: June 4th, 2004
                        Main curve: 44 degrees
                        Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
                        Surgery Type: Posterior
                        T4-T12

Comment

Very Important..... Please Help

Hi. im trying to find the extreme surgery that was on the discovery channel about a year ago with the scoliosis one. Does anyone have any video of the show or know whee I can get it....

Comment

Working...
                          X