scheduled surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scheduled surgery

Well I am scheduled for surgery on Jan. 5th with Michael Chang with the Sonoran Spine Center. I am pretty comfortable with him and he explained everything very well. Says he does just this and has been doing it for 7 years. So that puts me at ease a lil bit. hehe But i am excited to be moving forward and going to be corrected soon before it gets worse. I thought that would be a good time after the holidays and also my short term disability starts jan 1st. So i can get paid while im out. Just to at least cover my bills will be good. I just got an MRI done last week which i almost fell asleep in, haha. But other than that i think i just got to get a physical and get my blood done. I really do hope that the doctor can get a lot of the rotation out of my spine. I am hoping and praying on a really good correction and rib hump and rotation reduction. Thanks all of you on here for being a great help again! Did a lot of you guys and gals get a good correction?

--Bethany
    -Bethany
    pre-op L 74*
    pre-op Th 56*
    surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
    getting nervous

Being young, I expect you'll get a good correction Bethany. I am sure you'll be happy with the result.

Glad you don't have long to wait, because waiting's the hardest part. Take care, eat well and exercise daily, if you can. Good luck!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Best wishes for a good outcome Bethany.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Bethany,

I am 36 now...35 when I had my surgery earlier this year and I'll be honest with you...I still have a rib hump. All in all, I'm happy with my surgery and the fact that I have much less pain!! My hump is less noticeable; however, it's still there (more than I'd like). I still can't wear "fitted" shirts without it being very obvious. I've heard the rib hump cant possibly be less noticeable if you have a rib removed; however, I've heard mixed reviews on the outcome.

Good luck and praying for less pain for you!

Rachel~

Comment

Hi Bethany. I wish you the best of luck. I also think you'll get a good correction because you are younger. Speak you your doctor about what you can expect as far as the rib hump reduction. All the best, Joy

Comment

Mines January 4!! Good luck grl
            http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congrats, keep us informed
              45L/40T
              Surgery 25/1/2010
              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

hi

hi there! I'm 2 months post-opp 2day. You'll be great! I was fused T4 - L2 or 3 (I forgot haha). I had a 60 degree thoracic curve and a slight curve in my lumbar region. My doc actually got more correction than he anticipated so that was good :}. And I can tell there's still a slight curve where my rib hump was but its nothing compared to what it was and I'm probably the only one who notices. All the best to you!!!
                Maliha

Comment

I had surgery on 8/20 by Dr. Jeong in Tucson. He was awesome. I can tell you make sure you donate blood for yourself. I donated once and still ended up needing a transfusion a few times during my hospital stay. My doc provided me with a website to go to so I could watch the procedure through computer animation. Get your vitamins in line and talk to your Doc about extra D3. Dr. Jeong put me on a couple of vitamins, iron and then I took my own multi-vitamin and extra D3 and I did not have an infection. It is a long process and at a month out I was sad I was still hurting but now at 3 months out I am much better. Keep the long picture in mind.
                  good luck,
                  Kristi
                  pre-op thoracic curve 75, lumbar 70
                  posterior fusion T3-L5 with arthroplasty(to get rid of rib hump)
                  post-op: excellent correction will get numbers tomorrow

Comment

Hi there, i just recently scheduled my surgery. Mine will be done in the middle of February.
                    Maybe you can keep me posted on your progress since our surgeries are so close!
                    Take care and best of luck!
                    Mel

Comment

bethany,

good luck on your surgery,, I am scheduled for december 9th. One week away and getting really nervous!! I donated two units of my own blood and family members also donated, so I have 8 units waiting for me, just in case i need more. I have all my clothes ready and just waiting..

Comment

Originally posted by sillycoffee girl View Post
                        ... I really do hope that the doctor can get a lot of the rotation out of my spine. I am hoping and praying on a really good correction and rib hump and rotation reduction. Thanks all of you on here for being a great help again! Did a lot of you guys and gals get a good correction?
                        Hi, Bethany.

I had surgery 21 months ago (at age 39), and honestly, I haven't regretted having it done for a minute ... not even during the early days. My worst day (pain-wise) now it 1000 times better than the pain I had pre-op.

My pre-op thoracic curve was ±53°, and it's about 19° now: Some get a much better correction, but I have absolutely now complaints. My curve had been there since 9-10 years old (if not longer), and I'm sure that had something to do with rigidity.

I did not have a thoracoplasty, and my rib hump is almost gone. It's ~slightly~ apparent (to the trained eye) if I bend over with a hunched back; other than that, all signs of scoliosis are invisible. My front ribs now lie flat, and my previously dropped (right) shoulder is rotated back as it should be.

As far as blood, don't get too tied up in self donation: Some people can do it without issues; some have difficulty. In the end, you have to decide just how important it is to you. Personally, I haven't seen any overwhelming proof (nor has my surgeon ever said) that autologous transfusion has any effect on surgical outcome or recovery. Also, bank blood is far more safe than many think.

I donated one pint, and the only reason I even got that one back was because my counts were *slightly* low around Day 2 post-op. I already couldn't stand the thought they were going to throw it away if I didn't use it, so I made them give it back . I could have easily gotten by without it.

Rich1752, 8 units is extreme: Is your surgery expected to be particularly difficult? If I had to guess (based on what I've seen here), one to two units is about the norm for most people - if they need any at all.

Having gone through it, worrying about having my own stash of blood was just SO far down the list ...

Regards,
                        Pam
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

My doctor specifically said not to donate for myself. He uses blood bank.

I used 5 units...as far as I remember, but I was on drugs at the time.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I didn't donate either. It became a huge hassle and you really need your strength. The blood banks are very safe. I had 4 units during surgery and a week later had another 4. I think it really depends how much is done and how long of a surgery. Best of luck on the surgery! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Joy
                              sent you a private message regarding phone number...

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X