PDA

View Full Version : scheduled surgery

sillycoffeegirl
11-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Well I am scheduled for surgery on Jan. 5th with Michael Chang with the Sonoran Spine Center. I am pretty comfortable with him and he explained everything very well. Says he does just this and has been doing it for 7 years. So that puts me at ease a lil bit. hehe But i am excited to be moving forward and going to be corrected soon before it gets worse. I thought that would be a good time after the holidays and also my short term disability starts jan 1st. So i can get paid while im out. Just to at least cover my bills will be good. :) I just got an MRI done last week which i almost fell asleep in, haha. But other than that i think i just got to get a physical and get my blood done. I really do hope that the doctor can get a lot of the rotation out of my spine. I am hoping and praying on a really good correction and rib hump and rotation reduction. Thanks all of you on here for being a great help again! :D Did a lot of you guys and gals get a good correction?

--Bethany

JenniferG
11-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Being young, I expect you'll get a good correction Bethany. I am sure you'll be happy with the result.

Glad you don't have long to wait, because waiting's the hardest part. Take care, eat well and exercise daily, if you can. Good luck!

loves to skate
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Best wishes for a good outcome Bethany.
Sally

nervous
11-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Bethany,

I am 36 now...35 when I had my surgery earlier this year and I'll be honest with you...I still have a rib hump. All in all, I'm happy with my surgery and the fact that I have much less pain!! My hump is less noticeable; however, it's still there (more than I'd like). I still can't wear "fitted" shirts without it being very obvious. I've heard the rib hump cant possibly be less noticeable if you have a rib removed; however, I've heard mixed reviews on the outcome.

Good luck and praying for less pain for you!

Rachel~

joyfull
11-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi Bethany. I wish you the best of luck. I also think you'll get a good correction because you are younger. Speak you your doctor about what you can expect as far as the rib hump reduction. All the best, Joy

mixasu
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Mines January 4!! Good luck grl :)

Jimbo
11-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Congrats, keep us informed :D

spinalfusion09
11-30-2009, 02:23 PM
hi there! I'm 2 months post-opp 2day. You'll be great! I was fused T4 - L2 or 3 (I forgot haha). I had a 60 degree thoracic curve and a slight curve in my lumbar region. My doc actually got more correction than he anticipated so that was good :}. And I can tell there's still a slight curve where my rib hump was but its nothing compared to what it was and I'm probably the only one who notices. All the best to you!!!
Maliha

kristis
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I had surgery on 8/20 by Dr. Jeong in Tucson. He was awesome. I can tell you make sure you donate blood for yourself. I donated once and still ended up needing a transfusion a few times during my hospital stay. My doc provided me with a website to go to so I could watch the procedure through computer animation. Get your vitamins in line and talk to your Doc about extra D3. Dr. Jeong put me on a couple of vitamins, iron and then I took my own multi-vitamin and extra D3 and I did not have an infection. It is a long process and at a month out I was sad I was still hurting but now at 3 months out I am much better. Keep the long picture in mind.:)
good luck,
Kristi
pre-op thoracic curve 75, lumbar 70
posterior fusion T3-L5 with arthroplasty(to get rid of rib hump):o
post-op: excellent correction will get numbers tomorrow

huskymom
11-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi there, i just recently scheduled my surgery. Mine will be done in the middle of February.
Maybe you can keep me posted on your progress since our surgeries are so close!
Take care and best of luck!
Mel

rich1752
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
bethany,

good luck on your surgery,, I am scheduled for december 9th. One week away and getting really nervous!! I donated two units of my own blood and family members also donated, so I have 8 units waiting for me, just in case i need more. I have all my clothes ready and just waiting..

txmarinemom
12-01-2009, 07:17 AM
... I really do hope that the doctor can get a lot of the rotation out of my spine. I am hoping and praying on a really good correction and rib hump and rotation reduction. Thanks all of you on here for being a great help again! :D Did a lot of you guys and gals get a good correction?

Hi, Bethany.

I had surgery 21 months ago (at age 39), and honestly, I haven't regretted having it done for a minute ... not even during the early days. My worst day (pain-wise) now it 1000 times better than the pain I had pre-op.

My pre-op thoracic curve was 53, and it's about 19 now: Some get a much better correction, but I have absolutely now complaints. My curve had been there since 9-10 years old (if not longer), and I'm sure that had something to do with rigidity.

I did not have a thoracoplasty, and my rib hump is almost gone. It's ~slightly~ apparent (to the trained eye) if I bend over with a hunched back; other than that, all signs of scoliosis are invisible. My front ribs now lie flat, and my previously dropped (right) shoulder is rotated back as it should be.

As far as blood, don't get too tied up in self donation: Some people can do it without issues; some have difficulty. In the end, you have to decide just how important it is to you. Personally, I haven't seen any overwhelming proof (nor has my surgeon ever said) that autologous transfusion has any effect on surgical outcome or recovery. Also, bank blood is far more safe than many think.

I donated one pint, and the only reason I even got that one back was because my counts were *slightly* low around Day 2 post-op. I already couldn't stand the thought they were going to throw it away if I didn't use it, so I made them give it back :). I could have easily gotten by without it.

Rich1752, 8 units is extreme: Is your surgery expected to be particularly difficult? If I had to guess (based on what I've seen here), one to two units is about the norm for most people - if they need any at all.

Having gone through it, worrying about having my own stash of blood was just SO far down the list ...

Regards,
Pam

JenniferG
12-01-2009, 03:07 PM
My doctor specifically said not to donate for myself. He uses blood bank.

I used 5 units...as far as I remember, but I was on drugs at the time. ;)

Doodles
12-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I didn't donate either. It became a huge hassle and you really need your strength. The blood banks are very safe. I had 4 units during surgery and a week later had another 4. I think it really depends how much is done and how long of a surgery. Best of luck on the surgery! Janet

jrnyc
12-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi Joy
sent you a private message regarding phone number...

jess

kennedy
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
my surgery on march 19 of 2010 it 23 day right afther my 18th birthday.

sillycoffeegirl
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Thank u everyone for responding. And I really appreciate the wonderful advice. I feel like I am making the right decision! And am very excited to have the surgery and of course I get scared sometimes. But I'm sure everything will go well. Thanks again !

sillycoffeegirl
12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm gonna donate probably at least one pint and then my bf said he would also. I think we have the same blood type so that would be perfect!

sccrm08
12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
If your boyfriend is someone you might marry or have kids with someday, he should not donate blood for you. Make sure you question this at the blood bank before he donates.

loves to skate
12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
If your boyfriend is someone you might marry or have kids with someday, he should not donate blood for you. Make sure you question this at the blood bank before he donates.

Excellent advice!!! The reason is that if you receive his blood, you could possible build up an antibody to one of his antigens on his red cells. If you marry him and conceive a baby with him, your antibody could attack the baby if the baby inherits his corresponding antigen.
Sally

JDM555
12-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I have surgery on Dec. 16, so less than 2 weeks now. I scheduled it maybe 1-2 weeks ago, so it was very short notice. The lady/nurse said that that there was no need for me to draw blood because it was short notice and they want me to be as healthy as possible. Is 2-3 weeks in advance of surgery enough to gain all the blood I lost? I'm not sure why she said that, but it's fine with me, I hate giving blood samples in those little tubes, imagine giving pints, that's too much for me.

rich1752
12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
JDM555,

good luck!,, I'm five days away and just getting prepared. My doctor called me last night around 8pm, to talk to me about the surgery and my concerns with being fused to S-1. He said that he would look at my MRI's and xrays again to see what he can do, he will call me today. I never had a doctor call me at home to explain things, I'm lucky for that. I started to download movies on my laptop to pass the time. One thing that upsets me is that my two boys won't be able to visit me while in the hospital, cause of the H1N1 scare, the hospital is not allowing children in, but it gives me an incentive to get better quickly and return home (4 hour drive home:eek:)

good luck JDM555 and MEGZ

rich

JDM555
12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
JDM555,

good luck!,, I'm five days away and just getting prepared. My doctor called me last night around 8pm, to talk to me about the surgery and my concerns with being fused to S-1. He said that he would look at my MRI's and xrays again to see what he can do, he will call me today. I never had a doctor call me at home to explain things, I'm lucky for that. I started to download movies on my laptop to pass the time. One thing that upsets me is that my two boys won't be able to visit me while in the hospital, cause of the H1N1 scare, the hospital is not allowing children in, but it gives me an incentive to get better quickly and return home (4 hour drive home:eek:)

good luck JDM555 and MEGZ

rich

Good luck to you too, I hope it all goes well with your S1 Fusion, I hope there are no problems. My doctor hasn't specifically called me, he's at Stanford Medical Center so he's really busy and they have a policy where they can only call the patients and patients can't call the doctors, it's stupid. 4 hour drive returning from surgery sounds a little harsh, LOTs of pillows and slow driving :D.

And about the H1N1, it's only for children 14 and or 16 and under or something like that right? My hospital has that too, but I'm the youngest in my family, so that is good I guess, I will have the whole family around to visit me.

Good luck to you and Megz, hopefully everything will work out and we will all be back to our normal lives in no time.

JenniferG
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your explanation Sally, I was wondering about that.

Good luck to all the December patients. Those of us who've had our surgery understand fully the fears that you have. None of us went to it easily but when it gets closer, it takes on a life of its own and you just seem to be carried along, then suddenly, it's over and you're into recovery and the relief is amazing.

I hope you all get the results you're hoping for and that each of your recoveries is smooth. Hope you are all home in time to enjoy the spirit of Christmas!