Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six days to go!!!

Hi Everyone!
    Just thought I would touch base and ask a couple of last minute questions.
    Can anyone tell me , if I was to buy a new mattress for Gabby,
    what type should we be looking at?
    We have looked at a latex mattress so far. It also comes with a controller like a hospital bed sought of thing. Would this be of any extra benefit?
    Have any surgeons recommended any type for anyone?
    Our surgeon is on annual leave ( which is good, as he will be very refreshed when he comes back and I think we will be the first cab off the rank!)
    Please post your experiences with different mattresses.
    Thanks
    Donna.
    Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
    Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

I found my ordinary firm mattress just fine, with a foam egg-crate type overlay. The latex one you speak of sounds very expensive and I wonder if it would make much difference. I think if the mattress is level, without any sagging, is firm but has an overlay for softness and comfort, it would be just fine. Be interested if anybody has tried the latex one and what they think of it though.

As for the controller. I know you want to make Gabby as comfortable as possible but I really think that by the time Gabby comes home, she'll already be getting out of bed like a pro and you'll wonder why you spent the extra money. That's just my opinion and I'd be interested in the opinions of others.

It's getting close now. How are the nerves holding out for both of you? This is the hard bit Donna, in a couple of weeks, the relief that it's over, will carry you through that early recovery period. It's all going to be just fine! Gabby is in the best of hands.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My son has the same type of set-up as Jennifer. We'd gotten him an egg crate type foam mattress topper while he was wearing his brace and he liked it a lot too after his surgery. It's on a regular mattress.

We were told a hospital bed with special controls was unnecessary so we didn't rent one and decided to stay with his regular bed. I think that being in his own bed was comforting after being in the hospital for 5 days (once he adjusted to it). The only really hard night was the first one after he came home from the hospital. He couldn't get comfortable anywhere - we tried his bed, our bed, the couch and he was very upset. It was the one night I had to give him the prescription valium I was given in case he had a muscle spasm (I requested this because of reading about the spasms on this forum and others). Once the valium kicked in, he fell asleep and was fine every night afterwards. But he's always been a great sleeper and can fall asleep instantaneously (unlike my younger son who can take hours in and out of bed, etc.)

One thing(s) that was really important to have were plenty of pillows to prop him up on his side for sleeping. Some people get a body pillow but we just used our own, regular sized pillows. He didn't want to be on his back all night, nor his stomach.

By the way, one of the best things I brought to the hospital was a little notebook to write in. I wrote all the times and activities involved in the surgery itself, post-op and during the whole hospital stay. That was I remembered doctor's and other medical people's names, meds, times of med doses, visitors, etc. My son still likes to read this journal.

Good luck with your daughter's surgery! I'm sure it will go really well and soon you can all breathe a sigh of relief...
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

My son was fused a year ago at age 13. We found his regular mattress worked fine for him--he didn't seem to need a topper. What was really useful was a recliner we acquired for his recovery. He spent a good deal of time in it after we got home. Lots of pillow helped, including in straight chairs when he was sitting at the dinner table.

I agree with Laurie about keeping a log or journal. Very useful, and i still take notes in it for follow-up appointment. That way, all the info is all in one place.

Hang in there. Waiting is the hardest part.

Mary Ellen

Comment

I had a firm pillowtop mattress. I found it too be great (ahhhhh sleepmaker - you know the little elf) in the first three months, but then went to one without a pillowtop.
          Someone also mentioned a journal, its a greast idea. I kept one and it is also handy for keeping trackof medications.
          Vali
          44 years young! now 45
          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
          Post -op - 5 degrees
          T11 - S1 Posterior
          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Vali,
            why did you change from the pillow top?
            Was it too soft?
            Just want to know as we looked at pillow tops today.
            Thanks.
            3 days to go and panicking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Regards
            Donna.
            Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
            Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Comment

Hi Donna

I haven't been here in a while but wanted to be sure to tell you good luck. I will be sending good thoughts your way.

We did purchase my daughter a memory foam mattress after her surgery. She was not comfortable on her old mattress. There's a place in Houston that makes them as soft or hard as you wish. We chose a fairly soft mattress and she loves it (I do too). I guess it's a matter of personal preference.

Comment

Hi Donna,
                Yes, i thought it was too soft. I was struggling a bit to get out of bed. Her mattress should be fine, so long as it does not have the hammock effect.
                We'll talk soon, please don't panic.
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

A regular mattress should be fine. I had my surgery in March of this year and even though it's not easy to get in and out of bed for the first several weeks, everything will be fine. It really is amazing how quickly the time will fly and everything will be okay!

Rachel~

Comment

Hi Donna,

I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and Gabby. I hope her surgery goes well and she has a speedy recovery.

Lauren's old bed has been fine for her. She has a firm mattress with a memory foam toppping that we pruchased from Wal-Mart. She hasn't complained about her bed.

Charlene

Comment

Working...
                    X