Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade solution to aid recovery

Hi all,
    I thought i'd start a thread entitled ' homemade solution to aid recovery' and see what kind of responses I get. For example, they tell you, you always have to 'log roll', so how do you get into a car? My tip - buy a slippery satin tablecloth at the cheap shop and use it as your turntable. Visualize - sit in the car, lift knees 'log roll' and your in without twisting and hurting yourself.

Another is to use long handled BBQ tongs as a grabber.

Any others?
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Terrific idea for a thread, Vali. Expanding on your BBQ tongs, I use kitchen tongs as my portable grabbers. For example, when I go to the YMCA to water walk, I put the tongs in my bag to help me put on underwear, pick up shoes, etc.

I'll see if I can think of other things.

Karen
    Karen, 66 years "young"
    Polio at 6
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at school; no treatment
    Lumbar curve in 2005: 40; moderate pain
    Lumbar curve in 2009: 55; pain severe
    Lumbar curve after surgery: 21
    Surgeon - Dr. William Lauerman, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Three surgeries in one week:
    8/24/09 L3 to S1 anterior spinal fusion with Harm cage
    8/28/09 Posterior spinal fusion from T10 to S1 with instrumentation
    9/1/09 Partial revision of instrumentation

Comment

Great thread Vali.
      I will use these ideas for Gabby.
      Thankyou!
      Keep 'em coming.

Donna
      Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
      Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Comment

Hi...

No need to buy anything. A plastic garbage bag accomplishes the same thing.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

log rolling

I learned this technique in Pilates:

When I first had surgery turning in bed felt like splitting in two. I tightened my whole trunk and butt isometrically before any movement. It acted like a built-in support. I was able to do many things this way with much less pain during recovery.
          I still do this now to protect my back when lifting.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Surgery with Dr. Boachie in June...

Hi Karen. I thought I would write to you since I'm probably going to have surgery with Dr. Boachie in June when I'll be 58. It will be my first surgery. I am at 90 degrees, but I have never had any pain. I am worried about the future and at this point I want the cosmetic correction.

Dr. Boachie at first recommended anterior/posterior, but at the last visit said that he would do posterior only and not aim for a "home run." How satisfied were you with your experience and the results? Thanks, Joy

Comment

Hi Joy

I'll be glad to provide you with any information I can. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to send you a PM in reply as this thread deals with homemade solutions.

Karen
              Karen, 66 years "young"
              Polio at 6

Comment

Hi Vali,

I had a grabber that was not always by my side, but that what toes are for. I think I had practiced my whole life for just this time.

I could pick up just about anything with my toes, and I'm not alone here.

Take care,
                Shari

Comment

We used to have contest to see who was best at picking things up with their toes when I was little. I can pick up a dime! I have always used my toes to pick things up. When I was in my bodycast postop, I used BBQ tongs to get an orange out of the fridg. I had surgery on by big toe of my right foot 18 months ago. That was hard because I was right footed and had to use my left foot to pick things up for a while. As for getting in and out of a car, I got in and out of a Corvette when I was 9 months pregnant. Now I go car shopping on bad back days. I drive a Ford Escape because it has a tall enough door so that I can get in and out easily. It also has grab handles that make it easy to turn myself.
                  T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                  2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                  3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                  Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

When I go for walks, I use the Leki "Traveller" Nordic Walking Poles (http://www.leki.com/nordicWalking/poles.php). They are great for stability and look so much cooler than a cane.

Karen
                    Karen, 66 years "young"
                    Polio at 6

Comment

Working...
                    X