PDA

View Full Version : homemade solution to aid recovery

Vali
11-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi all,
I thought i'd start a thread entitled ' homemade solution to aid recovery' and see what kind of responses I get. For example, they tell you, you always have to 'log roll', so how do you get into a car? My tip - buy a slippery satin tablecloth at the cheap shop and use it as your turntable. Visualize - sit in the car, lift knees 'log roll' and your in without twisting and hurting yourself.

Another is to use long handled BBQ tongs as a grabber.

Any others?

lumbar3491
11-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Terrific idea for a thread, Vali. Expanding on your BBQ tongs, I use kitchen tongs as my portable grabbers. For example, when I go to the YMCA to water walk, I put the tongs in my bag to help me put on underwear, pick up shoes, etc.

I'll see if I can think of other things.

Karen

gabs mum
11-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Great thread Vali.
I will use these ideas for Gabby.
Thankyou!
Keep 'em coming.

Donna

LindaRacine
11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi...

No need to buy anything. A plastic garbage bag accomplishes the same thing. :)

Regards,
Linda

Karen Ocker
11-22-2009, 07:30 AM
I learned this technique in Pilates:

When I first had surgery turning in bed felt like splitting in two. I tightened my whole trunk and butt isometrically before any movement. It acted like a built-in support. I was able to do many things this way with much less pain during recovery.
I still do this now to protect my back when lifting.

joyfull
11-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi Karen. I thought I would write to you since I'm probably going to have surgery with Dr. Boachie in June when I'll be 58. It will be my first surgery. I am at 90 degrees, but I have never had any pain. I am worried about the future and at this point I want the cosmetic correction.

Dr. Boachie at first recommended anterior/posterior, but at the last visit said that he would do posterior only and not aim for a "home run." How satisfied were you with your experience and the results? Thanks, Joy

lumbar3491
11-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Joy

I'll be glad to provide you with any information I can. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to send you a PM in reply as this thread deals with homemade solutions.

Karen

Shari
11-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi Vali,

I had a grabber that was not always by my side, but that what toes are for. I think I had practiced my whole life for just this time.

I could pick up just about anything with my toes, and I'm not alone here.

Take care,
Shari

rainbow2010
11-24-2009, 06:32 AM
We used to have contest to see who was best at picking things up with their toes when I was little. I can pick up a dime! I have always used my toes to pick things up. When I was in my bodycast postop, I used BBQ tongs to get an orange out of the fridg. I had surgery on by big toe of my right foot 18 months ago. That was hard because I was right footed and had to use my left foot to pick things up for a while. As for getting in and out of a car, I got in and out of a Corvette when I was 9 months pregnant. Now I go car shopping on bad back days. I drive a Ford Escape because it has a tall enough door so that I can get in and out easily. It also has grab handles that make it easy to turn myself.

lumbar3491
11-24-2009, 08:46 AM
When I go for walks, I use the Leki "Traveller" Nordic Walking Poles (http://www.leki.com/nordicWalking/poles.php). They are great for stability and look so much cooler than a cane.

Karen