Post-op Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-op Pain

I've been reading all these encouraging posts from all the members who are recently post-op. Hearing from those of you who've not only lived through it, but are functional and enjoying the results, helps with this decision. I have one question for those of you who are moms. I'd like to get an idea of the level of pain. Is it anywhere near the pain of childbirth? I have a very high tolerance for pain but I sense that the pain from this surgery is on another level altogether. The only severe physical pain I have to base it on is giving birth. Thanks -Nora

Nora,
    Yikes....I'm gonna tell the truth..I have had 3 out of 5 natural births..I have had 3 abdominal operation, where the incision is straight down the middle.....Spine surgery to me(may not be for someone else)was the most painful experience ever...U C ..eventually childbirth pain is brief..abdominal pain recovers...but spine scoli surgery is hell....All the pain meds could not take the pain away..never took it away, maybe made it less, but never totally disappeared, not even for a half an hour...so brace yourself and be brave,,if U need the surgery than do it and hope for the best..also U will find ways to minimize your pain..I found a hospital bed helped my pain...I didn't use excess muscles when I had to get in or out...I traved with pillows..to ease the pain in my back...tried not to bend, never lift and twisting can cause pain ditto.....it hurts bad.....but everyday is another..
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

hi, nora! i thought the pain from the surgery was a lot like the pain of childbirth in that it washed over me in waves of muscle spasms. the worst pain is when you're changing positions in bed. i was in rehab for physical and occupation therapy my 8th day in the hosptital and getting my muscles lengthened and relaxed through exercise helped a lot;still, those first few steps in the morning are real humdingers!
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

post-op pain

Having just recently gone through surgery I can tell you it is far and above childbirth pain. I have three children, each of whom were born "natural" with no pain intervention except local for an epesiotomy. My last child was born at home. I also have a high pain tolerance. Childbirth is painful, but it comes and goes with the contractions. With scoliosis surgery it's a whole different level of pain. My surgeon did inject Duramorph after each surgery which helped a lot for the first 24 hours. The morphine helps tremendously but there were plenty of times where I had to put on my headphones and listen to relaxing music with my C.D. player to block out the pain. That was the only thing that got me through it at times. Especially when you are off the PCA with morphine and on pills. The nurse could usually give me delotid through my I.V. if it wasn't time for another pill. Don't worry-the nurses are great at understanding what you're going through and will control your pain the best they can.
        Susan

Comment

Working...
        X