Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got back from my 1st appt with Dr. Boachie - Surgery June 2010

Hi everyone-

I had my first appointment today with Dr. Boachie. My appointment was originally scheduled for December but they moved it up to today. I was shocked to see that in 2004 my thoracic curve was 48 degrees and my lumbar curve was 42 degrees and today, only five years later, my thoracic curve measured 55 degrees and my lumbar curve measured 58 degrees!!! I have had 2 kids since then so I guess that's why my curve progressed so much! I was contemplating surgery a few months ago but after meeting with Dr. Boachie today and seeing these x-rays I feel like I have no choice but to get the surgery. I am only 31 years old and am in alot of pain and can't see living like this for the rest of my life. I am absolutely terrified of the surgery, and am starting to have alot of anxiety about it. Dr. Boachie seemed so calm, cool and collected though in going through the details. It seems to me that my surgery is like a piece of cake to him since he's done so many. He seems very knowledgeable so that made me feel alot better. He said the surgery would only be 3 1/2 - 4 hours and it would be a posterior fusion. It would be from T4-L3. The one thing I am confused about is that he is not including L4 in the fusion because that is the vertebrae that has alot of degenerative changes in it, and he said you want to stop at a vertebrae that is normal (which is my L3). This way I will also get to maintain alot of my mobility and flexibility. The thing that confuses me is that I read a previous post from Jimbo that said his surgeon is including his L4 in his fusion because the disc is bad and his surgeon said he has to include it. That's kind of the opposite of what my dr. is telling me. Does anyone know anything about this?

Anyway, I am booking my surgery for June 2010. I know it is still 7 months away, but then my son is out of school and I don't have to worry about driving him back and forth to school and my daughter will be 3years old. Right now she is 2 1/2 and she still wants to be picked up all the time. She is still very dependent on me to do everything. I will use this extra time to exercise and get in shape.

Just thought I'd say I am sooo thankful for this website as for the past few months I have been reading your posts everyday and have gained the courage to book my appointment with Dr. Boachie and go through with this surgery. Don't think I would have ever have made this decision without reading your stories!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi Jen...

You should ask Dr. Boachie to clarify the L3 issue. Usually, they don't talk about vertebrae being degenerated. (It's usually discs that are degenerated.)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

I meant to say the L-3 disc, not the L-3 vertebrae.

Comment

Hi Jen...

I think you probably still misunderstood. It doesn't make sense to me that Dr. Boachie would end your fusion above a degenerated disc. You might want to ask for a copy of the visit notes.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I bet if you have a degenerated disk at L4, he will end the fusion at L4. I don't think ending a fusion at L4 really makes that much difference in range of motion, that is what my surgeon told me. In saying that I would feel a lot more comfortable ending my fusion at L3, but that just aint gonna happen

Sounds like you and me are going to have a very similar surgery. Makes me feel good too that Dr Boachie recommended much the same as my surgeon.I do believe Boachie is one of the best around?

Sorry to hear your increase in curvature, it is quite upsetting when one heres that from their surgeon. But it is good you are gonna get it fixed!
          45L/40T
          Surgery 25/1/2010
          Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Hi I'm new to this forum and loaded with questions - how are you handling the fact that he doesnt take insurance? Do you have out of network benefits? Does he work with you on payment? I would love to go and see him but I dont want to waste his or my time. Thanks for your help
            Sarahcant
            Surgery March 15
            Dr. Errico NYU
            Fused T-3 to S-1
            an inch and change taller
            nice and straight
            49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by JenM View Post
              Hi Linda,

I meant to say the L-3 disc, not the L-3 vertebrae.
              I believe discs are listed as L2-L3 or L3-L4 just to clarify

Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Sarahcant-

Dr. Boachie takes out of network benefits. I have a pretty good insurance plan with great out of network benefits so I won't have to pay that much out of pocket. I don't think he works with you on the payment...not sure though since I don't have experience with him with that.

It wouldn't hurt to see him to get his opinion. For the first visit he charges about $450-$650. He is extremely knowledgeable and everyone speaks very highly of him.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions! Good luck!

JenM

Comment

Working...
                X