Pain from low pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain from low pressure

We just had our first winter storm with snowfall in the mountains yesterday and I have to admit that the low pressure is causing me some pain. I'm 22 months post.

I am convinced that this is due to low pressure and not humidity. I had no problems at all diving and swimming in the ocean 2 months ago, and that's as humid as it gets. Being underwater I believe is 100% humidity. The cold air with the low pressure has an effect.

The pain is located up high, in the T7 area. "Bear traps" the tightening of the paraspinal muscles is what I'm experiencing, and now I also have some low pain, which is new thing for me.

Of course, this pain I'm having now doesn't compare to my pre surgical pain levels which were enough to drop an elephant, and thus had no choice in my surgical decision.

My doctors assistant wants me to come in for my 2 year post appointment next January. We will shoot a few x-rays, and look and see how much I've "settled in". I have a feeling that I have shrunk a tad. I'm prepared for this. I will have them burn a disc for me and I will post my 2 year x-rays.

I'm wondering if all posties on the west coast feel this storm? Or if any posties feel it when the storms pass through?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Hey Ti Ed,

I can't help you on this pain issue but I can tell you barometric pressure changes are thought to trigger certain colic cases in horses at certain times of the year in certain places.

Calgary, Alberta, in spring and fall is one such situation where colic cases tend to correspond to pressure changes and not more usual triggers (like not drinking enough water in winter).

So never underestimate pressure.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Oh, absolutely!!!! Heat and humidity = good; cold and damp = bad. I thought all that stuff was an old wive's tale until I experienced it myself. I cannot believe how much better I feel in summer than in winter. Retiring somewhere warm is DEFINITELY in my future.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Ed
        yes, absolutely...drop in pressure is very bad for arthritis...& migraines...& i dont know what else! probably every surgical cut...

for some reason water itself is soothing..especially warm water...

i do worse in damp cold weather...damp warm weather doesnt even bother me...i always feel great in the caribbean!!
        would seriously love to move there!!!

hope you feel better soon! it is cold already on east coast, & we have already had a touch of snow, so you know what is coming here next! soon come the blizzard! (as they say in jamaica )

but i thought you live in arizona...thought it was hot & dry there...???

jess

Comment

yep...I'm a midwesterner...and I can tell you anytime a storm is coming...I should say COLD storm. Thank God for car seat heaters! They are a MUST for me in the winter...amazing how much they help! By the time I get to work I'm a bit better and not so stiff.

HOpe the 2 year check up goes amazingly well. My 6 month check-up is next week!

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
          pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
          pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
          revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
          unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Sorry to hear about your recent pain Ed. I hope it passes with the weather. If it does that, you won't worry as much about future low pressure systems coming your way. A friend of mine who broke both her ankle and upper arm, is a great barometer.

Don't forget it's almost Summer in Queensland and the sea is warm.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Ahhh...summer...the sea...I'm so there! Winter and the snow are headin' my way...brrrr.

Always Smilin'
              Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
              pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
              pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
              right thoracic 57
              lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
              revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
              unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

I wonder how the pressure affects the hardware?

I work with a guy who fell off his roof a few years ago and damaged his glossopharyngeal & olfactory nerves, and he lost his sense of taste and smell.
                He tells me he can sense when a storm is coming as he experiences a strong metallic kind of "taste" and a sore head. He is always right too!

Maybe after injury we are more sensitive to planetary phenomena.
                45L/40T
                Surgery 25/1/2010
                Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Thank guys

This new pain down low is subsiding and high pressure has moved in. ???? Man-o-man!

I'm still not feeling all that great... time will tell.

Jimbo
                  I dont think the pressure affects the hardware.

We are under constant atmospheric pressure. This pressure changes constantly with weather, altitude, etc. In a low pressure environment, bubbles and cells expand. Exactly why pain is a result, we don't know.
                  Divers have to worry about nitrogen bubbles expanding upon rising in the ocean. When the bubbles expand, this is the bends. Divers can "get bent" by diving, and then after ascending a mountain, get into trouble. The result of the lowering of pressure. Just like how a balloon expands as it rises in the sky. We have a "no fly" rule after we dive, in other words we are allowed to 1000 feet for 24 hours. After 24 hours goes by, we can fly or ascend and lower our pressure.

Maybe something is expanding near one of my nerves? Nerve cells possibly?

I live at 4500 feet and have camped at 9000 feet this summer, and had no issues. That's why I think that humidity plays a role with the lowering of pressure. Increased water levels, then the lowering of pressure expands cells or fluid pockets and creates a pain signal. Soft tissues, that are inflamed, expanding under lower pressure.

If this happens again, I think I will drive to Sacramento, Ca which is at about 300 feet and see what the results are.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

whoops..i see you dont live in arizona, but reno, nevada...i grew up in nyc..you remember the "new yorker's view of the world"? wellllll...that was/is kinda like mine!

glad you are feelin' better
                    jess

Comment

We're in the midst of a nor'easter here (remnanets of Hurricane Ida) and last night I had trouble getting to sleep because my lower back and hips hurt. That is very rare for me. I am 100 percent certain it's the barometric pressure. I'm sitting in my comfy chair with a blanket today, like an old lady...but I must say it feels great.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by Singer View Post
                        We're in the midst of a nor'easter here (remnanets of Hurricane Ida) and last night I had trouble getting to sleep because my lower back and hips hurt. That is very rare for me. I am 100 percent certain it's the barometric pressure. I'm sitting in my comfy chair with a blanket today, like an old lady...but I must say it feels great.
                        Yup, that nor'easter is coming my way, I can feel it already. Maybe they will give us a job as weathermen, although, I like the idea of a comfy chair with blanket better.
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

folks with arthritis have a better forecast record than those weather guys & girls on TV!!
                          also...i think scoliosis makes "old ladies"..and men.... out of everybody who has it!

feel better everybody...

jess
                          weather coming our way too...luckily no flooding!

Comment

[QUOTE=titaniumed;85808]
                            Maybe something is expanding near one of my nerves? Nerve cells possibly?

I bet you are right. The intracellular fluid expanding under increased pressure? I really want to investigate this further
                            45L/40T
                            Surgery 25/1/2010
                            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Jimbo

Fluid expanding from lower pressure.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X