PDA

View Full Version : Pain from low pressure

titaniumed
11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
We just had our first winter storm with snowfall in the mountains yesterday and I have to admit that the low pressure is causing me some pain. I'm 22 months post.

I am convinced that this is due to low pressure and not humidity. I had no problems at all diving and swimming in the ocean 2 months ago, and that's as humid as it gets. Being underwater I believe is 100% humidity. The cold air with the low pressure has an effect.

The pain is located up high, in the T7 area. "Bear traps" the tightening of the paraspinal muscles is what I'm experiencing, and now I also have some low pain, which is new thing for me.

Of course, this pain I'm having now doesn't compare to my pre surgical pain levels which were enough to drop an elephant, and thus had no choice in my surgical decision.

My doctors assistant wants me to come in for my 2 year post appointment next January. We will shoot a few x-rays, and look and see how much I've "settled in". I have a feeling that I have shrunk a tad. I'm prepared for this. I will have them burn a disc for me and I will post my 2 year x-rays.

I'm wondering if all posties on the west coast feel this storm? Or if any posties feel it when the storms pass through?

Ed

Pooka1
11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Hey Ti Ed,

I can't help you on this pain issue but I can tell you barometric pressure changes are thought to trigger certain colic cases in horses at certain times of the year in certain places.

Calgary, Alberta, in spring and fall is one such situation where colic cases tend to correspond to pressure changes and not more usual triggers (like not drinking enough water in winter).

So never underestimate pressure.

Singer
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Oh, absolutely!!!! Heat and humidity = good; cold and damp = bad. I thought all that stuff was an old wive's tale until I experienced it myself. I cannot believe how much better I feel in summer than in winter. Retiring somewhere warm is DEFINITELY in my future.

jrnyc
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi Ed
yes, absolutely...drop in pressure is very bad for arthritis...& migraines...& i dont know what else! probably every surgical cut...

for some reason water itself is soothing..especially warm water...

i do worse in damp cold weather...damp warm weather doesnt even bother me...i always feel great in the caribbean!!
would seriously love to move there!!!

hope you feel better soon! it is cold already on east coast, & we have already had a touch of snow, so you know what is coming here next! soon come the blizzard! (as they say in jamaica :))

but i thought you live in arizona...thought it was hot & dry there...???

jess

always smilin'
11-12-2009, 06:21 PM
yep...I'm a midwesterner...and I can tell you anytime a storm is coming...I should say COLD storm. Thank God for car seat heaters! They are a MUST for me in the winter...amazing how much they help! By the time I get to work I'm a bit better and not so stiff.

HOpe the 2 year check up goes amazingly well. My 6 month check-up is next week!

JenniferG
11-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your recent pain Ed. I hope it passes with the weather. If it does that, you won't worry as much about future low pressure systems coming your way. A friend of mine who broke both her ankle and upper arm, is a great barometer.

Don't forget it's almost Summer in Queensland and the sea is warm.

always smilin'
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Ahhh...summer...the sea...I'm so there! Winter and the snow are headin' my way...brrrr.

Jimbo
11-13-2009, 04:24 AM
I wonder how the pressure affects the hardware?

I work with a guy who fell off his roof a few years ago and damaged his glossopharyngeal & olfactory nerves, and he lost his sense of taste and smell.
He tells me he can sense when a storm is coming as he experiences a strong metallic kind of "taste" and a sore head. He is always right too!

Maybe after injury we are more sensitive to planetary phenomena.

titaniumed
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank guys

This new pain down low is subsiding and high pressure has moved in. ???? Man-o-man!

I'm still not feeling all that great... time will tell.

Jimbo
I dont think the pressure affects the hardware.

We are under constant atmospheric pressure. This pressure changes constantly with weather, altitude, etc. In a low pressure environment, bubbles and cells expand. Exactly why pain is a result, we don't know.
Divers have to worry about nitrogen bubbles expanding upon rising in the ocean. When the bubbles expand, this is the bends. Divers can "get bent" by diving, and then after ascending a mountain, get into trouble. The result of the lowering of pressure. Just like how a balloon expands as it rises in the sky. We have a "no fly" rule after we dive, in other words we are allowed to 1000 feet for 24 hours. After 24 hours goes by, we can fly or ascend and lower our pressure.

Maybe something is expanding near one of my nerves? Nerve cells possibly?

I live at 4500 feet and have camped at 9000 feet this summer, and had no issues. That's why I think that humidity plays a role with the lowering of pressure. Increased water levels, then the lowering of pressure expands cells or fluid pockets and creates a pain signal. Soft tissues, that are inflamed, expanding under lower pressure.

If this happens again, I think I will drive to Sacramento, Ca which is at about 300 feet and see what the results are.

Ed

jrnyc
11-13-2009, 12:44 PM
whoops..i see you dont live in arizona, but reno, nevada...i grew up in nyc..you remember the "new yorker's view of the world"? wellllll...that was/is kinda like mine! :)

glad you are feelin' better
jess

Singer
11-13-2009, 02:05 PM
We're in the midst of a nor'easter here (remnanets of Hurricane Ida) and last night I had trouble getting to sleep because my lower back and hips hurt. That is very rare for me. I am 100 percent certain it's the barometric pressure. I'm sitting in my comfy chair with a blanket today, like an old lady...but I must say it feels great. :cool:

loves to skate
11-13-2009, 06:39 PM
We're in the midst of a nor'easter here (remnanets of Hurricane Ida) and last night I had trouble getting to sleep because my lower back and hips hurt. That is very rare for me. I am 100 percent certain it's the barometric pressure. I'm sitting in my comfy chair with a blanket today, like an old lady...but I must say it feels great. :cool:

Yup, that nor'easter is coming my way, I can feel it already. Maybe they will give us a job as weathermen, although, I like the idea of a comfy chair with blanket better.

jrnyc
11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
folks with arthritis have a better forecast record than those weather guys & girls on TV!!
also...i think scoliosis makes "old ladies"..and men.... out of everybody who has it!

feel better everybody...

jess
weather coming our way too...luckily no flooding!

Jimbo
11-13-2009, 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=titaniumed;85808]
Maybe something is expanding near one of my nerves? Nerve cells possibly?

I bet you are right. The intracellular fluid expanding under increased pressure? I really want to investigate this further :)

titaniumed
11-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Jimbo

Fluid expanding from lower pressure.

Ed

Jimbo
11-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes I concur, Doctor :P

debbei
11-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Jimbo

Fluid expanding from lower pressure.

Ed

Hi there Ed,

last winter when I was in the middle of my back PT for 3 months, I'd come in on low pressure days whining and complaining. My wonderful therapist assured me that it was because of the pressure, and said that on those days, MOST of her patients complained of more pain. When I asked how it could affect the body, she gave the same explanation--our bodies are a high percentage fluid, and the pressure affects it.

I hope all your pain gets better soon.

RitaR
11-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I have to say, as pretty as the mountains are when it is snowing (and I hear they're expecting lots this w/e) I still wish I was there! Most beautiful thing Ive seen. Although, I'm sure if you were in pain at the time would take away from the prettiness. But, by the time we get snow here in the midwest we're dreading even going out of the house and wanting to pull the covers over our head. Gosh - snow already?! :mad:

titaniumed
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
As much as I think my hypothesis about low pressure is plausible,( I wish), I have something going on down low near my L4. I have had this acute burning pain (approx 1/2 inch circle) that started 4 days ago, and hasn't seemed to quit. It feels like a soldering iron some times.I figured Id try to sleep it off, but that hasn't worked. So for now, I'm sleeping like a cat, and I'm completely exhausted. Leaning and movement triggers this new burning pain.

I e-mailed my surgeon requesting that my 2 year appt be moved up, to asap.

I was pretty much pain free after my surgeries, it was fun while it lasted.

If there are no hardware problems, I was just wondering if there are there people who have had shots after being fused? I don't normally read the revision threads.
Ed

Pooka1
11-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, Ed.

Maybe you have a pseudoarthrosis at that level? If only one level, that would be a very quick surgery, yes?

I hope you get that next appointment moved up to immediately. I'm guessing you are one of his favorite patients and he will do that if he can. :)

Good luck.

JenniferG
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Good luck Ed. I hope you can get that appt. soon. How disappointing after being pain free for two years. It's scary for those of us also, who've been painfree since surgery. Just goes to show it's never really over, doesn't it? I look forward to hearing what your surgeon has to say, and what he'll do about it. Meantime, I hope it eases up for you and you can catch up on some good, long sleep.

loves to skate
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
As much as I think my hypothesis about low pressure is plausible,( I wish), I have something going on down low near my L4. I have had this acute burning pain (approx 1/2 inch circle) that started 4 days ago, and hasn't seemed to quit. It feels like a soldering iron some times.I figured Id try to sleep it off, but that hasn't worked. So for now, I'm sleeping like a cat, and I'm completely exhausted. Leaning and movement triggers this new burning pain.

I e-mailed my surgeon requesting that my 2 year appt be moved up, to asap.

I was pretty much pain free after my surgeries, it was fun while it lasted.

If there are no hardware problems, I was just wondering if there are there people who have had shots after being fused? I don't normally read the revision threads.
Ed

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear that you are having some pain now. You have been my poster boy for a very successful surgery. I hope you can get in soon to find out what is going on.

I may have to have shots. I am almost two years post-op and as you know I have never been pain free except for a few days here and there. The Doctors have found two areas of stenosis on my CT/Myelogram. They told me that I am fully fused and despite this nerve pain I have that I should still consider my surgery a success. I do agree with them, however the pain is most unwelcome. I am waiting to hear from them as to what they have decided to do for me. I'll keep you posted.
Sally

mgs
11-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Ed. Here's hoping the dr sees you very soon, and that it's a minor thing.

jrnyc
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Oh, Ed, i hope it is really nothing.....at least, nothing complicated!

i have lots of shots..but i am pre-surgery......pre-pre-pre-surgery, actually :rolleyes:

good luck..hope you feel better soon...
jess

52skeedoo
11-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi Ed,

I sure am sorry to hear about your low back pain. Hope it is something that can be fixed quickly ---and without surgery. Was there any event (fall, quick move in some direction) that happened before it started hurting?

I definitely feel the low pressure system that moved into my area today. The pressure dropped, it's cold and rainy and I'm aching. I've downed a couple Tylenol since I'm at work and can't enjoy a warm blanket right now.

My boys live near Denver and I'm headed out to visit around Xmas which is about 6 months post-op for me. I was a bit concerned that the lower pressure would cause me to ache more. So it was great to hear that you live at 4500 feet and have camped at 9000 and never had trouble with that kind of low pressure.

titaniumed
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM
That psuedo word! Ahhhh!!!! That's a nasty word around here. I hope not. It doesn't feel like anything is broken, there is no popping or grinding. The area is swollen.

I remember Geish had the same symptoms, the acute burning when her screw backed out last year.

I haven't done anything. Been laying very low. Must be the cheap wine I've been drinking lately. LOL

All I can do is wait for an appointment.
Ed

Doodles
11-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I can see why you are concerned. Sure hope it is something that can be simply rectified. So the burning continues on still--that is strange--since it seems due to nothing you can account for. My burning spot is lower neck/shoulder. My neck was always bad and we hoped surgery would maybe help some but by evening I get the burning spot and I feel like I need to hold up my head. Hope the appt. yields some good results for you. Janet

Susie*Bee
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Ed-- prayers and thoughts that there will be a simple solution to the problem. So sorry there is a problem though... Hugs (gentle, of course!), Susie

lapieper
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Oh, Ed, I'm so sorry to hear you're hurting. Must be timing. I'm hurting, too, on my left butt cheek. Is that where my screw could be? Anywhat it hurts like a, oh, can't say that. It hurts a LOT. And it almost stops me from walking. I started water aerobics a couple of weeks ago and I've been hoping it's just a muscle. Ice makes it worse. Heat helps, but as soon as I'm off the heating pad it starts back up. May be time to call my doc, too.

Hope you get to feeling better really soon. Hey, if both our screws are loose, maybe we should have surgery together! Just kidding.
Take care.
Les

dolores a
11-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Ed, hope you are feeling better, and hopefully you can get in to see your surgeon very soon, if just for a peace of mind that that there is not anything seriously wrong.

Les, I'm having that same pain lately, except on my right side. It does not feel like the sciatica pain that I had on my left side pre surgery, it feels like a sharp pain when I walk, it comes and goes -- I'm trying to ignore it, but just this evening when I went to the supermarket it was acting up. do you have any idea what it could be?

debbei
11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Everyone,

After surgery, I never doubted that my decision to have surgery was the right one. However, what I can't STAND is my constant wondering and worrying of the aches and pains that come and go. With me, I notice they come with the stressful times at work, which would make a logical person think...'ok it's all related to stress and I'm turning my back into spasms over the stress'. But still....my own mind wonders every single time this happens.

I just wish I could forget I ever had this surgery and just move on with my life. Thanks for listening to me whine. :o

Ed, I truly hope that your pain turns out to be nothing.

lapieper
11-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey, Debbie,ditto on the worrying. Will it ever stop?

Vali
11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Debbe -ditto on the worrying as well. Its almost like being a new mum with a baby!
Like Dolores, i have a pain in my left butt cheek, however i don't think a screw could be in this are (could be wrong) but sometimes i feel like a bee has stung me - I'm a little:mad: because at my 5 months post-op two weeks ago, all is fine and he says to me,m lets make the next appt on your one year anniversay - June 1st, 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm wondering if this is related to the nerves waking up or what.
We're having a heatwave here, but i think a change is on its way, because i feel as if i have a corset on and its been pulled really tight!

lapieper
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Broke down and called my doc about that L butt cheek (or somewhere thereabouts -- the bony section) pain. He prescribed a steroid "six pack" to see if that would reduce the inflamation and pain. Just started it so will have to get back to you to let you know if it works. If not, it's a trip to the doc. Still taking it one day at a time!
Les

52skeedoo
11-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Les,

I hope the steroids give you some relief, but I was really surprised that you were given then. I was told I could not even take Ibuprofen or Aspirin for a year, because the anti-inflamatory part would reduce the healing of my fusion. They have much less anti-inflamatory effect than steroids would.

You must have already shown some good fusion in that repair work you had in March. Do you know what material they used at the fusion site?

Sheri

jrnyc
11-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi Les
so sorry to hear that you are in pain...

did you mean by 6 pack that it is oral steroids...some kind of pills, like prednisone? when i first herniated discs & was in agony, that is what they gave me...worked like a charm..only problem was they had to wean me off them, & then the pain started to return! hope that doesnt happen with you....

i now get botox thoracic & steroid in lumbar...just putting off the inevitable, probably...but for now, i am managing to manage..with the help of pain management doctors, anyway....

hope you get relief from the pain with the treatment you are now being given....thoughts & prayers go out to you for a simple resolution to this problem...

best wishes
jess

dolores a
11-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi Les, I called my surgeon also about the same issue you were having, he sent me for x-ray, so still don't know until he sees the x-rays. I did compare these x-rays with recent ones, my un-trained eye thought everything looked the same. The surgeon thought possibly just muscle pain and to take alieve until I see him with x-rays.

titaniumed
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Good news,

I ended up going in to see my surgeon today, and of course, you guessed it, the pain mysteriously quit. I was in the elevator bending over trying to trigger my pain, and I couldn't trigger it. I was completely confounded in my meeting.

Anyway, after looking at the new x-rays and seeing that everything is ok, it was written off as a soft tissue injury. The soft tissues around the hardware. I think I triggered it clipping the toenails on my left foot. Sometimes, I have to pull a little to get down there.

I did clarify a question that was brought up in another thread, that Debbe answered, and my answer is the same as hers. My lumbar discs were removed in my anterior operation, and my thoracic discs were not removed. They will eventually fuse from being held in the same position over time.

Even with being "battle hardened" like I am, prepared for the worst possible news, ready for anything, it turned out that nothing was wrong.

And I now have permission to ski the "blacks" Wow!

I would like to thank everyone for their concern in this matter. I just wish that everyone's pain problems could be solved as easy as mine. Its nice to be "fine and dandy" at the same time again. What the heck does dandy mean? LOL

Ed

JenniferG
11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
That's the best news today Ed. I can only imagine how confounded you were! But it all turned out great. You've got your life back. The relief must be flooding over you.

I will never, ever cut my toenails. You've cured me of the desire to force myself down there. It's small bikkies compared to what you've just been through.

I hope you have a little celebration tonight!

jrnyc
11-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Hi Ed
so glad to hear your good news...maybe everyone should seriously consider pedicures form now on !! :) alot safer!

what does skiing "the blacks" mean? are they the highest mountains?

jess

debbei
11-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Ed, I am so thrilled for you! I am glad you got it checked though. Sometimes I think we overdo it somehow and we just have to be smart enough to listen to our body and take it easy until we've gotten past it.

Have fun skiing! Do you have plans to go yet? Being you, I'm sure you do. :)

mgs
11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
I've been watching this thread for an update. . .and I'm so glad I got to read good news!! Happy Thanksgiving!

Pooka1
11-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Great news, Ed!

This is such a long road. I guess it's hard to not constantly get spooked but every pain.

I wish you smooth sailing.

sharon

CHRIS WBS
11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I will never, ever cut my toenails.

It can be done. I have the same fusion as yours and I thought I would never be able to cut my toenails again. Weíre into the colder months here now and I just canít see spending money for a pedicure every few weeks when my toes arenít even showing. So while sitting on my guest room bed which is at a lower height I am able to bring one foot up to the end of the bed and then position it on to my opposite leg in such a way that gives me the range I need to safely cut my toenails. I canít do any cuticle cleanup. Iíll save that for the pedicurist. I would never have been able to do this a year ago, but as time goes by I do find myself becoming more limber.

52skeedoo
11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Ed --
I've been waiting to hear how you are doing. I'm so glad you got good news.

Have a great time skiing.

Sheri

lapieper
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM
My pain has continued, and even worsened a little. Had to have help getting in bed the other night as my leg kept giving out on me. It wasn't a sharp, shooting pain, just enough to take my breath away! Finished up the Prednisone six pack, and went to the Physician's Assistant yesterday. She gave me a cortisone injection in the area that was causing so much pain. It has taken the edge off the pain, but not resolved it. She said it was the head of that 7 cm screw in my pelvis that is causing the problem. They can go in and surgically remove the head of the screw. But I don't want to pursue that at this time. Want to give the injection a chance. So I'm doing ice packs, Ativan for the muscle spasms, and once again, taking it easy. It hurts so bad I can't even cry, but I sure want to cuss worse than a sailor! (Give me a week, I may be calling to schedule that procedure)

As far as toenails, I can trim them, but they end up being a little crooked. So most of the time I ask my hubbie for help, when he is cutting his. It feels weird having someone else do it, but considering I used to bite my tonails (over 30 years ago), I guess I can get used to this!

Have a great Thanksgiving Day, and remember, one day at a time!
Les

Doodles
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
That's great news, Ed. Gives you another thing to be thankful for on Turkey Day! Enjoy. Janet

Singer
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Yay, Ed!!!!

Funny how skiing doesn't seem as daunting as cutting your toenails at this point...but that's life after fusion, eh?

titaniumed
11-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Jess

Ski areas rate their slope difficulty with a color code and sign shape just like signage on the roads. A green circle is the easiest, blue square is intermediate, and black diamond is expert. They started using double black diamonds for the incredibly steep slopes I think around 1985.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_steepest_ski_slope

Debbe, and now Chris

No, actually I do not have plans and I didn't buy a pass either. Yes I can ski, but I'm still nervous about it. I've told all my ski freak buddies that I cant rock n roll anymore, and that I had to be mellow about it. If you saw me ski full tilt, you would understand. I'm a master at turning the "chicken portion" of brain to the off position. I cannot let that happen ever again, and for good reason.

I have a blast teaching kids. A few years ago, I flew to Stowe for old times sake and skied with some friends for a week. One of the days, all the adults were whooped and wanted to hit the bar at noon.I declined, and took the boys out for some intense lessons.(I knew they had potential) It was boot camp for line study, weight shifting, and high speed carving, incorporated with large jumps. At the end of the day, we walked into the bar after the lifts shut down and the parents asked the boys "how fast did you go"? Ryan said,"about 60 mom".
The boys couldn't sleep that night, and the next day wanted to continue skiing with "Uncle Ed" and split from the other adults. I guess I let the "cat out of the bag".

Les

Sounds painful. Giving the shot some time and laying low sounds like the proper course. I was amazed how my pain was pretty intense in one spot only, and how it suddenly quit, like an "on-off" switch. Sometimes you can do something to inflame an area, and the pain will hit "days" later, and relentlessly cripple you, then suddenly disappear. My pain was for 12 days.

I think that these "flare ups" might be part of our post-op course in the future. Its something that I am just realizing..... Its still much much better that my pre operative days living with twin 70s at age 49 and very thankful. Hopefully, this will pass.
Happy Thanksgiving...
Ed

debbei
11-25-2009, 02:55 PM
You see Ed,

I have one up on you, because I have ALWAYS been a big fat chicken. Turning off that portion of my brain simply doesn't happen. And since my surgery, I'm even more careful with myself. :)

I can understand why you'd be good at teaching kids. And it's not like you're teaching the KIDS to be daredevils, right?

JenniferG
11-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Les, your pain makes ME cringe. I hope this cortisone injection helps. You've had your share of surgery. Take care and let us know how you get on.

As for the toenails, after reading about Ed's experience, I don't think I'll try. My partner does the job ok, even though it gives the giggles and I can't stop, for some reason.:o

titaniumed
11-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Debbe
No way!!!! LOL Just important fundamentals of the sport. Sometimes those fundamentals require occasional speed or small jump.

I have always skied all day long, and never hung in any lodge or ski bar. Good skiers don't do those things, they are out there on the mountain, all the time. I wouldn't stop for lunch, I would miss a run.

Jen
You also have to consider that us guys are a lot tighter that you gals. I have to put a lot more effort into it than you would have to.

You gals have a great excuse here for getting your pedicures from now on. Pretty soon you will be thanking me for this. LOL
Ed

jrnyc
11-27-2009, 04:53 AM
Ed...thanks for the explanation....but it sounds kinda dangerous...to you & your back....to ski those things.....

couldnt you stick to teaching the kids on the "bunny trail"? :)

glad you are doing well..
jess