PDA

View Full Version : Driving advice

asha
11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Just wondering how long it was before all you post-op's were driving? Luckily, I live in a warm climate, so I don't have to worry about tough driving conditions - just want to be able to take my daughter to school and such.

Pooka1
11-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Just wondering how long it was before all you post-op's were driving? Luckily, I live in a warm climate, so I don't have to worry about tough driving conditions - just want to be able to take my daughter to school and such.

I'm not letting my daughter (14) drive so soon after her surgery. :D

asha
11-06-2009, 05:31 PM
That's a good one!

Pooka1
11-06-2009, 05:40 PM
It's hard to know sometimes if levity is going to be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

debbei
11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I started about 6 or 7 weeks post op. By that time I was on maybe 5 or 6 pain pills per day and the Dr. told me I could drive if I didn't feel sedated. I was fine, but a little nervous when the pharmacist told me that if I had an accident and they checked my medical records, I could be sued. I only went to & from the grocery store and other very small trips, and that's about it. Once I was totally off pain meds, around 3 months post op, I drove regularly.

kt2009
11-06-2009, 08:48 PM
My doctor said no driving until I was off pain meds b/c of the same reason the pharmacist said. I made sure that if I took a pain pill i didn't drive for 4 or 5 hours. At that point, I wasn't feeling the effects anyway. The good thing about wanting to drive, is that it was motivation for me to get off the pain meds! I didn't start doing that until I was about 6 weeks post-op.

titaniumed
11-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Drugs linger in your system for quite some time..... Even after you quit, if they do a blood test and determine that you had chemicals in your system, a jury will be persuaded and it could be expensive if you injure someone.

Food for thought....
Ed

ddb
11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Oh Boy - DD isn't going to be happy with this one. We've talked about it - she's got her permit and s/b getting her license in Feb'10, but looks like it will be put off for a while.

kt2009
11-07-2009, 10:19 AM
yes...I did look it up once. Percocet stays in your system for 24 hours and your hair for 30 days!

Singer
11-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I drove while still taking a low dose of Oxycontin and thought I was fine...but I will say that after I got off the Oxy and drove, I noticed a big difference in how I felt behind the wheel. That was quite eye-opening for me. I hope I never have to take narcotics again, but if I do, I would never again drive while taking them.

debbei
11-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I drove while still taking a low dose of Oxycontin and thought I was fine...but I will say that after I got off the Oxy and drove, I noticed a big difference in how I felt behind the wheel. That was quite eye-opening for me. I hope I never have to take narcotics again, but if I do, I would never again drive while taking them.

That explains how I felt exactly Chris. I thought I was fine when I was still weaning off the drugs, but I felt so much more 'in control' driving once I was totally off. I too, would never do it again.

dolores a
11-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Barring any pain medication, it was still difficult for me when I tried at about 6 weeks, probably because I'm fused down to my pelvis, scary when I tried to check on my left for any oncoming traffic. It does get better, but I still have that issue. And I also was also driving while on pain medication in the beginning, not a lot, but still should not have. I guess my feeling was it was like I was taking medication for legitimate pain, not like drinking and driving, dumb I know!

JenniferG
11-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I was a late starter, I was about 11-12 weeks if my memory serves me correctly. I started weaning off the drugs at 6 weeks but I then had 6 weeks of dizziness. Seeing over my shoulder is still difficult. I tried one of those circular turntable type seats (I called it my Lazy Susan) but I didn't find it terribly helpful as my bum was bigger than the circle, which stopped it from turning. I should add, my bum is not that big, so I don't think they'd be a wise investment unless you're reed thin and can sit without overlapping on a dinner plate!;)

Vali
11-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I was told I could commence driving at 8 weeks (after i saw my surgeon). I had been off meds since day 15 post-op, so he said I could if I wanted to.

Jen, you're hilarious! I actually went to the $2 shop and bought a cheap slippery satin tablecloth to use as my 'lazy susan'!:cool:

asha
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow, ask and you shall receive! Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I will take all into consideration when the time comes. It's so hard to know what to expect after surgery. You guys are the best!

JenniferG
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Vali, what an excellent idea. I have just put my Lazy Susan on Freecycle and now I'm off to the $2 shop.

All the very best asha!